PDA

View Full Version : Another Hobbs Cupboard

Ben Hobbs
10-20-2006, 11:12 AM
As many of you have seen, I and my three sons got together to build four corner cupboards earlier this year as a reproduction of a local Perquimans Co. NC piece from the 18th century. I had the pleasure of measuring the original to get ready for the boys to come last January. Two of the cupboards have been posted here previously:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=44506

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37237

Like the others, mine is walnut and cypress, cut and milled locally (like the original). Finished with aniline dye and shellac. Hardware from Ball and Ball that I ordered custom made to match the original.

As my boys are now away from home, we are trying to establish annual get-togethers to build furniture together. I have been building furniture full-time since 1980 or so and each of my sons have had a part in the business through helping me out after school to continuing the tradition at their own shops in Missouri, Alabama, and Durham, NC. We also teach many others at our shop in our furniture classes held every month.

If anyone has any comments or questions, they would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking, Ben

lou sansone
10-20-2006, 11:56 AM
hi Ben
great piece of furniture. It would neat if someone assembled a book of the varieties of all the 18th century corner cupboards. Many were built- in, like the one in my early 18th century home. mine is extremely primitive, while others in the same time frame are much more elaborate like your example ( minus the feet ). The cypress is used as a secondary wood I assume. I see that you paint the inside of your cupboard. Did you do it when the piece was fully assembled or did you do parts ahead of time. I guess another question is what order to build the case. Back/sides and then front ?

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Lou

Reg Mitchell
10-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Hi Ben. That is a very lovely piece of work and congrats on the final product. It would be a pleasuer haveing a family get together and building such beautiful pieces. Do you have planes you would share with us/me. I own a pre 1900's home and think something like that would be a great addition
Thanks for the story and the pics
Reg :)

Jim Becker
10-20-2006, 12:28 PM
Very nice piece, Ben. And it's really kewel that you can all pick a project and have individual interpretations to compare/gloat about!

Ernie Hobbs
10-20-2006, 1:01 PM
Dad:

Here's a few more pictures of your corner cupboard.

Ernie Hobbs
10-20-2006, 1:31 PM
hi Ben
great piece of furniture. It would neat if someone assembled a book of the varieties of all the 18th century corner cupboards. Many were built- in, like the one in my early 18th century home. mine is extremely primitive, while others in the same time frame are much more elaborate like your example ( minus the feet ). The cypress is used as a secondary wood I assume. I see that you paint the inside of your cupboard. Did you do it when the piece was fully assembled or did you do parts ahead of time. I guess another question is what order to build the case. Back/sides and then front ?

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Lou

Lou:

Maybe these pictures will help. During the week of carcass construction, I took a bunch of pictures of the process.

Ernie Hobbs
10-20-2006, 1:33 PM
a few more

Ernie Hobbs
10-20-2006, 1:35 PM
and some more

Tyler Howell
10-20-2006, 3:23 PM
What a great family tradition all WW together.

Love the idea and fine work.

Dan Stuewe
10-20-2006, 3:43 PM
It'a a good thing all of you were around to see that last picture! If you are anything like my dad and I, we're always coming into the house bleeding (but unaware until The Boss lets us know we're bleeding all over the place)! :D

Sounds like a great family to be a part of!

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-20-2006, 3:47 PM
Nice piece.

And I saw the thread title and wondered whi Calvin was being left out.

Dan Oliphant
10-20-2006, 4:35 PM
What a wonderful piece of fine woodworking. The hardware is awsome! You are truely fortunate to have your sons working with you in these endeavors.

Jerry Olexa
10-20-2006, 5:37 PM
Another beautiful result!!! You all should be very proud..I'm very interested in your method of finishing.. I'm getting ready to start on a walnut piece and like the look you've achieved w the dye and shellac. I'm surprised and like the reddish tone you produced. What specific dye and color shellac did you use, if I'm not be ing too inquisitive. (Perhaps its a family secret)?? In any case, Extraordinary work and great finish!!! Thanks,

lou sansone
10-20-2006, 6:47 PM
hi ben
ok you fooled me with the inside. I thought at first it was painted. I now see what cypress looks like. reminds me of sasafrass a little bit. If you were to paint the inside, would you do it before you started on the face frame and all that? For the glazing on the glass, do you tint it or do you paint it afterward with a similar tone paint?

thanks
lou

Ben Hobbs
10-20-2006, 7:04 PM
I did not have plans, but I simply measured critical parts and dimensions. Also we made exact profiles of all moldings. Lots of photos also helped. It was a trememdous benefit to have access to this piece. Most pieces I copy are from pics from reference books. Just a good rule and ratio and proportion(from your algebra II days--thought you would never use that stuff didn't you) is enough to copy most pieces.

I usually use dark Chippendale mahogany along with red mahogany aniline dye. In this case, I mixed some brown and kept adding red until the color was what I wanted. If it is too dark, I add a little water. If too light, I add more dye. If the color isn't quite right you can go over everything with another color. As far as the finish, I buy flakes sometimes but usually get mine already mixed from Lowe's.

Thanks for your comments. I am proud of my sons.

Ben Hobbs
10-20-2006, 7:08 PM
For glazing putty, I use Dap glazing compound with artist colors in it to tint to match the finished wood. I think that most cupboard interiors were originally painted after the piece was constructed. In my experience and study I do not find paint in the cracks between the boards.

Corey Hallagan
10-20-2006, 10:22 PM
Ben that is a wonderful piece! I think that is great that you get together with your boys and do some woodworking done together. Very cool.

Corey

Calvin Hobbs
10-23-2006, 3:01 PM
Dad,

Good looking cupboard you got there. Almost as nice as mine...

Look forward to showing it to you in person next week.

Cal