PDA

View Full Version : Combo Machine Update

Bill Grumbine
10-21-2003, 6:47 PM
Greetings all

I have gotten lots of responses both here and via email on combo machines. While it is going to be a long term project (like a year) I have already surmounted the most formidible obstacle. I have achieved permission from SWMBO. In addition to being SWMBO, she is also the bookkeeper for my business, so she has lots and lots of say on what I buy. She does trust my judgement, but still controls the purse. She says it sounds like a plan, and she is comfortable with the dollar figure I am looking at.

The next question is this. I need to unload - uhh, I mean sell my fine stand alone equipment which the as yet to be determined combo will replace. Even though this is a long term project, pricing questions are running through my head. I have some fine old machinery, which is in tip top working order, but I am wondering about the best way to advertise it.

Has anyone here had any "luck" selling over the web? Since I am talking some pretty big stuff here, shipping is not an option. I plan on tickling the ears of my fellow guild members, but while they are a large audience, I have no idea if any of them are hot for some vintage Delta or Rockwell tools.

Any advice or guidelines would be appreciated.

Bill

Mike Laing
10-21-2003, 7:18 PM
Hi Bill,

Last year at this time I went through exactly what you are going through now. I did sell all of my seperates before purchasing a felder (due for delivery Nov. 3) and was amazed at how little I got towards the purchase of the combo.

My equipment was Delta, General and the like but it wasn't vintage or heavy duty all of the proceeds didn't cover the cost of the accessories of the machine. Now you will certainly get more for your equipment than I did mine. You might try www.exfactory.com as a potential site to sell your tools. Good luck with whatever way you decide to go.

Mike Laing

Greetings all

I have gotten lots of responses both here and via email on combo machines. While it is going to be a long term project (like a year) I have already surmounted the most formidible obstacle. I have achieved permission from SWMBO. In addition to being SWMBO, she is also the bookkeeper for my business, so she has lots and lots of say on what I buy. She does trust my judgement, but still controls the purse. She says it sounds like a plan, and she is comfortable with the dollar figure I am looking at.

The next question is this. I need to unload - uhh, I mean sell my fine stand alone equipment which the as yet to be determined combo will replace. Even though this is a long term project, pricing questions are running through my head. I have some fine old machinery, which is in tip top working order, but I am wondering about the best way to advertise it.

Has anyone here had any "luck" selling over the web? Since I am talking some pretty big stuff here, shipping is not an option. I plan on tickling the ears of my fellow guild members, but while they are a large audience, I have no idea if any of them are hot for some vintage Delta or Rockwell tools.

Any advice or guidelines would be appreciated.

Bill

Jim Becker
10-21-2003, 7:59 PM
Bill, I have sold tools very, very quickly both from the WOOD ONLINE Free Classifieds and from the classifieds here at SMC. For smaller items that I was willing to ship, I placed no restrictions. For bigger stuff, I specified local delivery or pickup with no problem.

Interestingly enough, I actually sold our old double wall oven via EBAY! A young couple in New Jersey bought it in a bidding frenzy, drove down, paid cash and took it home. That brings up the most important point...payment. Cash is best. PayPal is the next best thing. Be careful with other paper, including money orders...a lot of scamming is going on. Escrows are also a big scam problem these days. I'd avoid them...there are usually plenty of other buyers. "You" set the terms!

Keep us posted on the combo machine as things progress overtime and tell "the boss" that we all thank her for the education you'll be giving us on that machine.

Charles McKinley
10-21-2003, 9:51 PM
you ship.

Hi Bill,

You have to do a better job than the guy that created my PM66.

you have good looking and currently running equipment. I have seen stuff that I questioned if it would run sell for way more than I thought it would. Your equipment is single phase, a big plus on the ebay side. I have purchased more than I have sold on ebay but I think it would be the way to get the best price and even if it doesn't sell you are out less than the cost of putting it in the paper. If not ebay I would list it here, Wood central and woodweb classifieds (have bought from there also) I believe that these are all free to post your listing.

The work of researching the shipping companies and getting it to the dock could pay off greatly. Buyer pays all shipping cost, crating, and insurance is not optional.

If you go to ebay and do an advanced search you can look at closed auctions of the last 90 days to give you a ball park of what your equipment may sell for.

PM me if you want more tips on listing stuff on ebay.

sorr it was so long winded :D

Anthony Yakonick
10-21-2003, 10:44 PM
What can I get for 10 bucks :D

Ernie Kuhn
10-22-2003, 12:52 AM
What can I get for 10 bucks :D
Anthony,
Perhaps a smile from Bill and two cups of Seattle's Finest

Bill Grumbine
10-22-2003, 10:54 AM
Thanks guys, for the replies and the possibilities. I really hate the idea of having to crate stuff up, but I already have a potential buyer for my jointer, and possibly the TS, so the point may be rendered moot.

Chuck, if I go the EBay route, I will give you a holler.

Anthony, for $10.00 I will give you the privilege of spending the day helping me disassemble the tools for transport! ;)

For now it is back to making enough dust to pay for a new machine.

Bill