PDA

View Full Version : Radial Drill Press

Kurt Aebi
10-21-2003, 5:46 PM
My little garage shop has outgrown th elittle 8" Craftsman Bench top DP that I've been using for around 8 or 9 years. I was thinking of getting one of those Radial Drill Presses. I am looking at the Grizzly and one from Harbor Freight. My shop is for hobby and sees less than 10 hours per week of woodworking, so "Industrial" isn't necessary. With the Harbor Freight I'll give up a 1/4 hp, but save $35.00. You guys on here have a lot more experience than me, what's your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
Kurt

Richard Allen
10-21-2003, 7:42 PM
Hi Kurt

The limited experience I have had with a radial drill press was that the whole thing flexed to much. As I tried to drill a hole the 90 degree angel between the table and the drill bit would change. I found this to be very disturbing and swore off the things.

I have since learned that a quality radial drill press will not flex and is a very versatile tool. I would avoid a cheap radial drill press. I might be tempted by a quality radial drill press.

Thanks

Bob Lasley
10-21-2003, 8:50 PM
Kurt,

About a year ago, my old Walker Turner drill press bit the dust. I was in the middle of a project that required a drill press and I had limited funds available so I bought the Shop Fox floor model radial. This machine is basically the same as the Grizzly. It has been a great machine for woodworking, but it would be limited for metalworking. I haven't experienced any flexing working with wood, although I haven't had it extended all the way out. I have used it to drill angled holes and it did a fine job. I fully intend to keep this machine for it's versatility, but I will eventually buy a bigger, heavier drill press primarily for metal work.

Good luck with your decision,
Bob

Bart Leetch
10-21-2003, 10:57 PM
I have the Grizzly floor model Radial Drill press & have had no problems at all. Just make sure you tighten everything down properly. I have drilled with a Fostner bit all the way up to 2 1/8" in Oak with no problem. I have also drilled up to 5/8" in plate steel with no problem.

Kurt Aebi
10-22-2003, 7:34 AM
Thank you all for your input. I think I am going to go with the Bench Top from Grizzly. I will post a report of how it works for me.

Again... Thank you very much for your input, it really helps when making this kind of decision.

Kurt

Bart Leetch
10-22-2003, 3:50 PM
If you can afford the room go with the floor model you won't regret it. I have had mine for about four years & just the other day I had to roll the table all the way down. I was sure glad I could. How ever if you bolt the drill press to the bench at the end or on its own stand so you can turn the head it may do what ever you need. If your going to put it on its own stand just purchase the floor model.