PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic *NEW* idea! Please read!

John Miliunas
10-19-2006, 8:57 PM
Dang it, sometimes I just surprise myself. What do you guys think of this awesome NEW idea I have: How about if the turners ALL got busy and entered in a little friendly turning contest? What’s that you say? Oh, it’s been done before so, it’s NOT a new idea, huh? :mad: Well fine then, but I thought I was on to something! “Scuse me, Scott? What was that?” Oh, yeah…The idea actually belongs to Scott Donley. Sorry ‘bout that, Scott! :o

OK, in all seriousness, how about it, boys and girls? Scott PM’d me yesterday, saying that it’s been a while since we’ve ventured into the contest thing. After conferring with my right-hand man, Andy Hoyt, we figured that with Christmas right around the corner and all that, this would be an awesome time for everyone to get involved. :)

So, what are we to turn? Well, you tell US!!! This is YOUR forum, your work and hopefully, your presents to give to someone special. And you may ask, “So what’s the prize(s)?” Fair question. There are none other than the satisfaction of a job well done and a little friendly competition! If you’re looking to make a killing on this, fo-get about it! :D

Rules? Well, there really are none. However, Scott made a very good point about there being quite a few “newbies” here and we do NOT want to exclude anyone!!! Hence, when thinking of suggestions for categories, please, keep that in mind. A couple things you may want to pass on for category suggestions might be hollow forms or natural edge bowls/forms. Remember, we’d really like to appeal to the masses. At the same time, for some of you more advanced spinners, it may be fun to get back to more of the basics. For folks such as myself, it would give me the opportunity to try and find the “ON” switch for my lathe! :o BTW, any entry(s) I would post would NOT be entered for consideration, just for fun! :)

Again, with Christmas in mind, think along lines of confetti lamps, candle holders, knick-knack boxes, potpourri bowls and such. Stuff suitable as stocking stuffers or small gifts for co-workers or similar. When considering possible categories, please remember that some of the newer turners don’t have 4-jaw chucks and the like, so we really need a category or two for spindle work. Not everyone has a vacuum chuck or cole jaw setup either so, maybe plates might be a little tough, as well. You get the idea… :)

So, if you’re up for a little challenge, please reply to this post with category suggestions. As a rough guideline, how about if we target Sunday evening (10/22) for getting suggestions in? Then, a couple of us will tally up the recommendations and get this thing kicked off! What say ye??? :confused: :) :cool:

Mark Pruitt
10-19-2006, 9:18 PM
I like the idea of a new contest; I'm just now approaching the point of being good enough to enter. My only two suggestions are to submit something that we intend to give as a gift, and that the deadline for submissions be as late as possible, since my lathe just went down (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=44543) and I don't have a clue how to fix it.

Stephen Hibbs
10-19-2006, 10:05 PM
a good all-around one is weed pots. I've never actually done one, but I hear it's the perfect newbie thing, and they would be neat stocking stuffers.

Lars Thomas
10-19-2006, 10:28 PM
I like the idea . . .not sure what I would turn, but lets procede. Lars

Pete Jordan
10-19-2006, 10:34 PM
How about ornaments?

Bernie Weishapl
10-19-2006, 10:38 PM
How's about lidded boxes???:cool:

CORY FETZER
10-19-2006, 10:49 PM
since there are alot of newbies and i know that there are some youngsters also my son included bernies nephew etc,
how about pens then we can give all the pens made to the freedom pens project with christmas coming as you said

just a thought

Lee DeRaud
10-19-2006, 11:06 PM
Candle holders (since I'm planning on giving away a bunch of them this Christmas :p)

Maybe different categories for tapers, tealights. votives...maybe even let in those oil-lamp thingies.

Travis Stinson
10-19-2006, 11:29 PM
Awww, and I was just trying to goad Andy into a "Hoyt-head HF" contest.:D

Andy Hoyt
10-19-2006, 11:32 PM
Awww, and I was just trying to goad Andy into a "Hoyt-head HF" contest.:D Finally! - Something I can win!

This is a great idea Scott/John. Let's get it done!

I am So in.

Curt Fuller
10-19-2006, 11:39 PM
Ok, so how about if everyone starts with a piece of wood, any wood, the same size. Say 4x4x8 or whatever. Then challenge yourself to turn something you've never done before. At the completion date and before any pictures are posted all the players that are still in throw their names in a hat and Andy or John makes a round robin sort of list where you send your piece to someone and receive one from someone else. After the trades are setup then the pics are posted for everyone to see. Maybe post a picture of the original wood and the finished product.

Jim Bell
10-20-2006, 12:13 AM
I thought you had gotten into Amway.:eek:
Jim

Lee DeRaud
10-20-2006, 12:49 AM
"Hoyt-head hollowform"...isn't that, like, redundant? :D :p :eek:

You tee it up that high, I just gotta take a swing at it...

Scott Donley
10-20-2006, 2:16 AM
John, you are the "get er done " guy :D Im in, just no bonkers, half the stuff I turn ends up looking like a bonker, or firewood, so I would have an unfair advantage :o

Jonathon Spafford
10-20-2006, 3:14 AM
How about magic wands (I am addicted to turning 'em) :D :D I did like Curt's idea of trading pieces around !!!

Keith Outten
10-20-2006, 5:13 AM
How about toys that could be donated to the Marines for their Toys for Tots Program?
There is plenty of room to be innovative/creative making toys.

Mark Pruitt
10-20-2006, 7:17 AM
Awww, and I was just trying to goad Andy into a "Hoyt-head HF" contest.:D
Hold on to that idea. It's a good one. I suggest that it be done after the New Year!

Tyler Howell
10-20-2006, 10:34 AM
How about Freedom Pens? I might even give one a spin if that is the goal.
Prizes for quality and quantity.:D :D :D

Andy Hoyt
10-20-2006, 10:50 AM
I propose a special category with only two guys who are allowed to enter - Howell and Chaffee.

First one to produce three ounces of shavings is the winner.

Mark Pruitt
10-20-2006, 11:04 AM
You are way, waaaaaay too easy. (on the contestants that is):p :D

Lee DeRaud
10-20-2006, 11:16 AM
I propose a special category with only two guys who are allowed to enter - Howell and Chaffee.

First one to produce three ounces of shavings is the winner.Three pounds of shavings, maybe: they're both running waaay behind their quota.:cool: :rolleyes:

Andy Hoyt
10-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Okay - three pounds it is.

No huss cut here!

David Briski
10-20-2006, 12:32 PM
How about a Firsts Category. Something you are making for the first time. Ie. First bowl, first segmented work, first pen, first whatever?

Doug Shepard
10-20-2006, 12:44 PM
I think y'all better start turning out some Detroit Tigers commemerative 2006 World Series Champions bats.:cool:

Pete Jordan
10-20-2006, 1:34 PM
I think y'all better start turning out some Detroit Tigers commemerative 2006 World Series Champions bats.:cool:

I'm on it. I hope to make a bat for my 9 year old Tiger fan tomorrow.
Go Tigers!

Pete Jordan
10-20-2006, 1:56 PM
Here is my first bat I made two weeks ago for my 6 year old

Tyler Howell
10-20-2006, 3:01 PM

Send the prize I passed that weeks ago:D

Paul Engle
10-20-2006, 4:42 PM
First of all let me say that this a good idea, but us " firts" timers are somewhat at a disadvantage against all you " sourdough" 's how about the first timer registared after a certain date , publicly claiming to just getting started submiting something they already made and shown here on SCM? Then lets find a charity that gives out things for Christmas and donate ALL the made stuff to them and let them judge it??????We here are the most fortunate ones as we not only have the resources to make but get the best view of Creation anyone could hope to see ( my opinon) what say ye?????:D :D :D

Andy Hoyt
10-20-2006, 11:14 PM
Send the prize I passed that weeks ago:D I raised the bar Tyler. It's three POUNDS. Git r done!

Stephen Hibbs
10-21-2006, 12:47 PM
I like the idea of making freedom pens and donating them. I also like the idea of everyone having a set amount of wood they can use.

Ben Werner
10-21-2006, 6:56 PM
I really like this idea! However, I feel that the best way for this contest to work would be to have everyone do a "first." the more experienced turners will just have to come up with something radically new :D! I also like idea of starting with a set piece of wood. The problem I see with doing pens would be for those of us without the proper equipment, mandrels tubes kits ect (btw that includes me :p) so... I'm all for it as long as its not pens. I also like either sending our stuff around, or sending it to an orginazation which could sell them as a fundraiser.

Ben

John Miliunas
10-23-2006, 4:49 PM
Hey there, boys and girls. We've NOT forgotten about this! We're busy trying to assemble the suggestions and figure out the logistics for doing this. As much as is possible, we will try to make this as approachable by all the turners here! We have folks at many, many different levels of expertise and wish to have everyone involved. Hey, that's what makes it more fun, right? :D Stay tuned, as we still may have another query or two for your consideration in this. Just as a little "preview" of what's being discussed is: Keeping "rules" to a bare minimum. :) Keep an eye out for this thread or even another one with "Contest" somewhere in the title. :) :cool:

Jeff Myers
10-24-2006, 9:05 AM
I like the "somethine we intend to give as a gift" idea and make it
sized small enough to be a stocking stuffer and then we can see what
kind of gifts everyone is giving this year,,,sorta a sneak peak from the north pole.

Andy Hoyt
10-24-2006, 10:34 AM
Stand by folks.

Scott Donley has the Launch Codes and he should be initiating lift off very soon.