PDA

View Full Version : Introductions, yup...I'm a turning virgin

Jeff Yates
10-19-2006, 10:12 AM
While I can't claim to be a woodworker who can turn a profit, I have been known to build a poker table or two, or even a boxed bed frame.

I've wanted to learn how to run a lathe for years now, but I've never had the space or an inkling of what was going on...and honestly it's something I want to try my hand, to make sure, before I plunk down the cash on a lathe and the tools that go along with it.

Most of what I want to learn is to make bonkers and tool handles, maybe some pens...I don't know if I really want to turn platters, bowls, vases and the like...but who knows, it might happen. I do know that I want to turn wood, acrylics and even soapstone...but I'll be starting with wood...*laugh*

So I've contacted the local group here in Houston, Gulf Coast Woodturners to see if they have anyone willing to hire out and give me some pointers and lathe time...

But if anyone here is from the Houston area and is willing to rent me some of their time and tools so I can give it a go...well, give me a shout.

Jeff

Dario Octaviano
10-19-2006, 11:58 AM
If you can find a WoodCraft store near you, you'll probably be best taking a class with them.

Not sure if the freedom pens project is still on...that may get you the trial you need.

Turning clubs are another worth checking.

Some schools also have shops that offer night classes...those may be a good way to start too.

Good luck!!!

Andy Hoyt
10-19-2006, 12:06 PM
Jeff - Contact that club again and ask for a date and time of their next meeting. Attend it and get ready for a great ride.

Lots of Houstonians here, but they're all Texas types and you know how shy and quiet they can be:D

Joe Melton
10-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Turning is the most difficult woodworking metier, sans doubt. Only a few remarkedly gifted people are ultimately successful, and even they spent years studying and mastering the craft. The dedication required is, simply put, staggering.
So, go ahead and try. Please do not interpret my gentle warnings as ominous.
Expect, however, that your marriage will fail, because it will be quickly seen as an encumbrance. You may lose your job because your thoughts will be constantly elsewhere. Your weight will plummet because you will no longer care about eating. (This observation is well borne out by reading the personal data in the interviews.) Your life will soon be guided by voices unheard by others. Children will run when they see you lurking behind trees in the city parks with your unkempt hair and filthy ill-fitting clothes, carrying a chainsaw.
Know, too, that, in spite of the manifold spendid benefits, your ultimate efforts may be in vain.
Keep in mind you are seeking ethereal, not technical goals. As a consequence, your work will be generally judged by troglodytes, who have no earthly concept of beauty. Only the few, the chosen, the Creekers, are capable of adequately judging your creations.
If you understand and accept, deeply and completely, that your life will no longer belong to you, proceed. But, do not go timidly. Step forth with the courage and confidence that you are on a truly cosmic mission, and let the chips fall where they may.
I would tell you more, but I must hasten to the pharmacy to get a refill of my medications. Maybe this time the moron pharmacist will accept a pen as payment.
Joe

Mark Pruitt
10-19-2006, 1:32 PM
Joe, that is sick.:eek: I like it.:D :D

Brad Schmid
10-19-2006, 1:38 PM
Hi Jeff,

Where you at in Houston? I'm out in Katy near Grand Parkway and I-10. Might be a bit far for you though. There's a bunch of generous and friendly turners all over Houston though, and I'll bet you can hook up with somebody. Many of them are members of this site.

Also, every first Monday of the month (roughly 7pm to 9pm) we have a GCWA get together at "The Cutting Edge" which is down by the intersection of Beltway 8 and 59S. Usually 6-10 turners or so, and at least 4 lathes to use. It's a great way to get started and it's free. You'll have plenty of opportunity for hands on, lots of good instruction, meet nice people, exchange wood, etc. Not to mention a store full of "must have's" that will give your wallet a workout:D Always call first to make sure it's still on schedule.

Brad

Jeff Yates
10-19-2006, 2:02 PM
Laugh...let me go down the list in order...

Dario, I actually have a store about 5 miles from the house, I'm looking into one of the pen making classes, and hey, maybe a bowl class...and on the freedem pens, I thought about that, but I would hate to experiment on blanks slated for such a project as the freedom pens.

Andy, I forgot to mention in my previous post that I have a prior commitment on the same days they run their meetings on...

Joe...I'm just speechless, one of my co workers just walked in to ask me what was so funny...

Mark...I agree!

Brad, funny, I just moved out of Katy and into the Spring Branch area...I work out of Deer Park and the Katy to DP drive was MURDER! Katy isn't that far out as long as rush hour isn't in effect. I will have to see about showing up at the cutting edge, I'll cal them and see if it's going on the 6th of Nov...

Brad Schmid
10-19-2006, 2:23 PM
Good, hope to see you there. Admittedly, I've missed the past few months due to timing of business travel to Dubai, Netherlands, France, etc. I think I'm wide open for November though, so I plan on going to it this time. It really is a great way to get started.

By the way, your welcome to come out to my place any time and use my equipment and turn as much as you want. Just contact me if you want and I'll see what the calendar looks like ;) Unfortunately, this weekend is already booked with a Cub-o-ree at Stephen F. Austin, teaching sunday school for the kids, and a High school play.

Paul Engle
10-19-2006, 4:26 PM
To all ye that enter in .... there is no retreating, no resting , there is no end to the chips, dust, bonkers . the Vortex is about to suck in another one. Oh my .......its like ... a bad day of turning is wayyyy better than a good day at work .....Welcome Jeff, you may find yourself calling your flat work clients and telling them you dont do that no more .......

Jeff Yates
10-19-2006, 4:50 PM
Alrighty Brad...I think the earliest I would even have time right now is the weekend of the 11th, Nov....so I'll probably see ya at the meeting, assuming it actually takes place...

Laugh...and Paul, true enough..if I get to a point where I can turn this into a profitable hobby...so much the better, but in my experience everytime that happens I end up just buying more crap - err valuable equipment I could never do without - for said hobby...*LOL*

Bill Boehme
10-19-2006, 5:51 PM
Welcome to the dark side of woodworking, Jeff.

My wife asked me recently if I had given up doing "real" woodworking, with "that" tone in her voice which implied that I have lost my marbles and now am just wasting my time "playing" with that cursed lathe. My reply, of course, was, "No, I can do real woodworking whenever I want to -- I just don't happen to feel like doing it right now".

Oh yeah, you are doomed for certain. You might as well try to escape from a black hole. Your chances would be better trying that than trying to escape the pull of turning.

Bill

Jeff Yates
10-19-2006, 6:06 PM
Laugh...

Well I don't have to, currently, worry about what the wife will say, currenty I don't have one. Haven't found one who was patient enough to put up with me long enough.

Upside being, I don't have to find creative ways to explain why I spent all my money...*laugh*

Travis Stinson
10-19-2006, 6:49 PM
Now, you didn't have to rub it in like that!:o

We're gonna have fun spending your money.;) :D Welcome aboard.

Jeff Yates
10-19-2006, 7:04 PM
Well now hold on a second...

That little yeller car in my avatar takes a nice sized chunk of my monthly income...hey, maybe I do have a wife....

Ken Fitzgerald
10-19-2006, 8:20 PM
Jeff,

Welcome to the Creek! Neat place to exchange ideas and neat bunch of folks!

Turning..............It's addictive! The inmates here pushed me into the Abyss early this year and I'll never recover.......financially or otherwise. I've got to admit........I smile a lot these days!

Take some lessons ......Woodcraft would be a good place to start!

Again......Welcome!

John Miliunas
10-19-2006, 9:10 PM
Welcome to the Creek and the crazy world of turning, Jeff! :D I'm usually much more long-winded but, I'm still laughing at Joe's reply! :D Yeah, what he said! :) :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
10-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Welcome Jeff to Creek and the world of turning. You are about to be consumed deeper than you ever thought. Have fun and enjoy.