PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Q ??

Jack Dickey
10-19-2006, 9:21 AM
I think I know the answer but .. my jointer has started cutting a bevel instead of a straight edge .. is about 1/16" off kilter ..
Dull Blades ??

Chris Rosenberger
10-19-2006, 9:30 AM
Check that the fence is square with the table.

Tom Hintz
10-19-2006, 10:14 AM
If yo leave your fence in the same place for a long time (lots of us do) it can dull one portion of the knives moe than others and it can cut a taper. As mentioned, check the alignment of the fence as they don't stay set forever, though they look like they should.

Jack Dickey
10-19-2006, 4:40 PM
HAHA !!! AAARRGGGHHH !!! Feel like a DA ...
Fence off about half a hair .. Problem solved ...
Cutting like a champ again ..
Aint the first time I havent checked the obvious first , wont be the last ..

Jim Becker
10-19-2006, 8:29 PM
Jack, I keep a small engineer's square handy to the jointer specifically to check the fence to table at the beginning of a session. This is even more important for my machine as it's a combo that I substantially move the fence a lot due to the conversion from jointing to planing and it's more likely to get out of kilter "just because". But any jointer will benefit from a quick check at the beginning of the day and later on if you are moving it around a bit.

Jack Dickey
10-19-2006, 8:45 PM
Mine's a combo as well , and it's a bench model on a small table I built for it , and it do get shuffled around a lot .. I always check with scraps before running the good stuff , so at least nothing was ruined ..
And oddly enuff I do check it pretty regularly ..
Just a brain dead moment without thinking it thru ..
Thankfully I am am the only one here who has brain dead moments like that ..

Brad Noble
10-19-2006, 9:26 PM
Mine's a combo as well , and it's a bench model on a small table I built for it , and it do get shuffled around a lot .. I always check with scraps before running the good stuff , so at least nothing was ruined ..
And oddly enuff I do check it pretty regularly ..
Just a brain dead moment without thinking it thru ..
Thankfully I am am the only one here who has brain dead moments like that ..

Ya think?

Brad

Jack Dickey
10-19-2006, 9:32 PM
So Brad are you SUGGESTING that I AM NOT ALONE ??

Norman Hitt
10-20-2006, 2:11 AM
Jack, since none of the rest of us have those "Brain Dead Moments", I guess it must have been YOU that forgot today, that when you make a mark for the start of a slot in drywall and then turn it around to make the cut from the backside, that you need to cut from the opposite edge.:rolleyes: :D It was a beautiful slot though, but unfortunately the steel hangar was 2 1/2" to the right of where the slot was.:mad: Now don't do that again, OK?:D :D

Jack Dickey
10-20-2006, 8:52 AM
Ok Norm next time just fire me , gimme my check and send me home ..
Oh brother I'm bad on that stunt with plywood , done that more than once ..
So I suppose then I'M NORMAL ??
Nah better not go that far ..

Jim Becker
10-20-2006, 10:25 AM
They are not "brain dead" moments. It could be CRS Disease or PSM "Premature Senior Moments". (Gotta use acronyms... :D )

Jack Dickey
10-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Well Jim I see your same age as me , so the question is , when do we hit
" senior " from back side of middle aged crazy ?? I have CRS and PSM all the time ..
See my thinking is 30 years ago we thought people our age now were old farts , but now I see it aint so bad ( or old ) , the older I get , the older old becomes ..
Course still having birthdays is better than the only other option ..