PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me anything about my Purnam Machine Co. lathe?

Erik C. Hammarlund
10-18-2006, 5:19 PM
I picked one up--it's a green-painted beauty. Got it for free out of my local want ads.

I found something similar here (http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=5041). The link shows a lathe that looks like mine--though mine is in better shape than the one pictured. I've also got both sets of flat belt pulleys--so I assume the last person to use it (who knows who that is?) was using the motir to drive one set of pulleys, and then connecting to flat belts.

It looks like a beast, though what do I know? My wife's joke is that I should start specializing in turning tree trunks into center-table posts. The only thing I know for sure is that the motor is god-darn-unbelievably-friggin' heavy and I almost died moving it solo up a set of basement stairs.

Anyway, my questions:
1) Is this a good lathe? Is it worth setting up? Or should I give try to sell it and get another one?
2) Does anyone know of a putnam owners' group?
3) Any advice on where I might be able to track down a sliding tool rest? I could probably mill the base myself at my father-in-law's house, but it's be a pain in the behind.
4) Help!
:D

Ken Garlock
10-18-2006, 6:51 PM
Erik, I plead ignorance regarding the lathe. However, you might try posting a question about it over at the Old woodworking Machines (http://www.owwm.com/)web site.

Gary DeWitt
10-19-2006, 3:19 AM
In answer to your questions, IMHO,

1. Depends on a lot of things. Are all the parts there? Are the bearings good? Is the spindle solid or hollow, and does this matter to you? Is the spindle thread/size a standard for which there are ample chucks, faceplates, etc. available, or do you know a machinist who can make you an adapter?
2. No. Old ww machines site is the closest I know of.
3. Couldn't you make one out of a piece of cold rolled square or rectangular stock, a couple drills, a set screw with a handle on it, a tap, a large bolt and nut, washer(s) to hold it to the ways and a stock tool rest, maybe from Sorby? No machining required beyond drilling and tapping. I like the modular ones myself.
Old Iron can really be worth it, both in price and reliability. Some of these old machines have floating bearings that just seem to never wear out, if they are kept properly oiled. The weight comes in handy for stability too.
Good luck with your project, if you decide to go ahead with it.

Erik C. Hammarlund
10-19-2006, 10:43 AM
"Are all the parts there?"
Yes, as far as I can tell. I'll need a new flat belt but that's no big deal.

"Are the bearings good?"
I dunno. I'll have to check. Time to call my engineer father-in-law, I think.

"Is the spindle solid or hollow, and does this matter to you?"
LOL--I don't even know what you mean, so hopefully it doesn't matter.

"Is the spindle thread/size a standard for which there are ample chucks, faceplates, etc. available, or do you know a machinist who can make you an adapter?"
I don't know, but yes, so that's OK.

"Couldn't you make one out of a piece of cold rolled square or rectangular stock, a couple drills, a set screw with a handle on it, a tap, a large bolt and nut, washer(s) to hold it to the ways"

It's a dovetail way with no center slot. So yes, I could make one, but making a sliding tool rest would be a bit more involved.

"and a stock tool rest, maybe from Sorby? No machining required beyond drilling and tapping. I like the modular ones myself."
Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it.

"Old Iron can really be worth it, both in price and reliability. Some of these old machines have floating bearings that just seem to never wear out, if they are kept properly oiled. The weight comes in handy for stability too.
Good luck with your project, if you decide to go ahead with it."

Sounds like the first thing is to check the bearings. If they're in good shape it seems worth going with.

Thanks for the tips!

Andy Hoyt
10-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Erik - nice looking chunk of old iron you have there.

I can't really answer any of your questions directly other than to offer up a few philosophical observations for your consideration. So here goes.

If you're the kind of guy who likes to tear stuff apart to either repair it or understand it - then grab a few wrenches and have at it.

If you're not - take it down to Edgartown Harbor and give it to someone to use as a mooring anchor, or better still, find someone who does like to monkey with this stuff and give it to him.

If you're former be prepared to spend a lot of time and money jury rigging the thing to accomodate contemporary accessories.

If you're the latter, the money spent on jury rigging can just as easily get you into a new mini lathe with all the neccessary doo dads.

The sad thing is that you're likely the latter which means that this beautiful old machine may never enjoy the thrill of being worked again. If I had one ounce of mechanical apptitude, I'd meet you at Wood's Hole in a Millinocket Minute to take it off your hands. Why? Because simply by virtue of still being in one piece tells me that that this old beast deserves a second life. And to match the quality of material and manufacturing expertise in old machines with a modern one often means big big bucks.