PDA

View Full Version : Shop Design -- Need Feedback

Jack Hogoboom
10-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Attached is a very bad Sketchup drawing of my new basement shop. The dimensions of the room are accurate and I inserted the components from the download library previously referenced here. I am planning to house the dust collector (which is actually a Super Gorrilla (stealth gloat :D )) and the compressor (which is actually the IR model Jim Becker has (another stealth gloat :D )) in a closet. I also plan to store sheet goods in the little alcove to the right of the proposed wood rack. There are two doors (1 large door on the wall to the left of and perpendicular to the wood rack and the other to the right of and perpendicular to the proposed location for the router table), but I couldn't figure out how to insert them after laying out the overall dimensions.

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

Jack Hogoboom
10-18-2006, 1:08 PM
Here's the zip file. Thanks Travis!!

Art Mulder
10-18-2006, 1:23 PM
Jack,
when I doodled up my basement shop in sketchup, what I did was draw on the walls, make them components, put them on their own layer (so I can easily hide/view them) and then used the paint tool to fill them, but also made them 50% transparent, so even when they are in view, they aren't getting in the way.

As for the doors themselves, I only needed a rough indication, so I just drew a rectangular "hole" in the wall.

Art Mulder
10-18-2006, 1:39 PM
Here, I had a few minutes, so I messed with your *.skp file.

I threw most of the tools onto a tool layer and hid them, and then drew up a few rough walls, cut in some doors, and made them 50% opaque. That is what I did with my own shop, more or less. (the drawing of my shop, I mean.)

Edit: Hmm, I just realized I put the one door in the wrong wall. Oh well, hope this gives you the idea!

Jack Hogoboom
10-18-2006, 1:57 PM
Art,

Thanks for doing all that. Frankly, I don't have the foggiest notion what you're talking about. I have no idea what layers, etc. are.

Jack

Jack Hogoboom
10-18-2006, 2:35 PM
I figured out a way to add walls and the doorways. Unfortunately, one wall got screwed up, but this is pretty much what the space looks like.

Jack

Art Mulder
10-18-2006, 8:57 PM
I have no idea what layers, etc. are.

Jack, on my mac version of Sketchup, if you go to the 'Window' menu, you can select "Layers", and the Layer window will pop up, showing you the layers in your drawing, and which are visible, etc.

When you right-click on a component, a menu pops up and one of the options is "entity info". Select that, and you can move a component to different layers.

As to what a layer is. Think of it like this: Imagine that you are drawing your plan on a clear sheet of plastic, like an overhead transparency. THe idea of layers is to have lots of these clear layers, and you drave the individual pieces on the layers. When they are all stacked up, you see everything. But you can "pull out" certain layers (make them invisible) so that you only see the part of the drawing that you want to focus on.
Hope that is at least a little clear. Otherwise I would refer you to the tutorials out there.

Hope this helps. I am by no means the Sketchup Expert around here, but I'm learning slowly.

Travis Porter
10-18-2006, 9:47 PM
Not a problem.

Personally, I would like the jointer to be closer to the tablesaw. My .02 worth.