PDA

View Full Version : Value of combo machine?

Kristian Wild
10-18-2006, 10:24 AM
Hey there everyone, A co-worker of mine is looking to sell his Makita planer-jointer combo machine (I think it is a model 2030). It's a 6" jointer and 12" planer side-by-side in one very heavy casting. Does anyone own one? would you reccomend it? How about approximate value, it was well taken care of. He says he paid around $2300 for it new and is hoping to get close to $2000 for it still. Is this reasonable considering they havn't made this machine (to my knowledge) for quite some time. Thanks in advance! Kris

Rob Russell
10-18-2006, 10:35 AM
I'd say that your co-worker is wishfully thinking if he really expects to get that for the Makita. It's a nice little machine, but the jointer beds aren't particularly long. I'd be looking for much close to $1K - $1300-1400 if it's in minty-mint condition, like it just came out of the box.

That's my opinion.

Jeffrey Makiel
10-18-2006, 10:37 AM
I have no direct opinion or experience. But, generally speaking, unless he got a tremendous discount when he originally bought the machine, a $300 reduction seems low for a machine considered as 'used' and probably has no transferable or active warranty.

Another general opinion about combo machines: I'm not a big fan of large multi-functional combo machines that include a sawing function. However, I have a small shop, and a jointer/planer combo is appealing. I've looked at European jointer/planer combos (like Hammer) as was turned off by the price.

I believe Hitachi also made a combo jointer/planer at a more economical price. But I found the jointer bed length to be too short. On the positive side, many of these combos sport a wide jointer blade.

Sorry...I know...not much help,
-Jeff :)

Jamie Buxton
10-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Setting the current value from the original price is not reasonable. What is reasonable is setting the current value from current competitive products. Look at what you'd spend to buy a 6" short-bed jointer and a 12" planer. It will be lots less than the $2K he's asking.

Al Willits
10-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Having just spent the last few months looking for wood working tools I'd have to say your not getting any deal here, I've seen floor models, end of model runs and little used but very new power tools going for a better discount than what your getting.

I'm not sure what its worth but I think he wants way to much.
imho
Al

Mark Singer
10-18-2006, 10:52 AM
For me the limited size of that machine diminishes its value....you would be better with seperates and at that you could get a fine 8" jointer and 15" planer

Bailey John
10-18-2006, 11:02 AM
That starting new price seems kind of high. My father had one of those he bought new in late 80's when Makita had a red "M" logo only. He paid new approx. $1150.

Nancy Laird
10-18-2006, 11:46 AM
I believe Hitachi also made a combo jointer/planer at a more economical price. But I found the jointer bed length to be too short. On the positive side, many of these combos sport a wide jointer blade.

Sorry...I know...not much help,
-Jeff :)

Yes, Hitachi made a combo jointer/planer - we have one, and it is "THE BERRIES" LOML joints many many board feet of lumber a month - oak, maple, alder, pine - and hasn't ever felt that the jointer bed is too short. Maybe it is if you are trying to joint a 12-16' board, but for the 6-to-8 footers we have, it's just fine. I think this machine originally retailed for about $2700, IIRC from what the seller told us, and we got it for $750--we've had it for about 15 years and never a problem. If you can find one somewhere, it is, IMHO, THE one to have.

Nancy

glenn bradley
10-18-2006, 12:32 PM
Seemings how you could pick up an 8" jointer for around $1000 and have $1000 left for a planer larger than 12" I would not go that way.

Jim Becker
10-18-2006, 4:05 PM
Kristian, I'm afraid I have to agree with the others. While this may be a very nice and well-built machine, I don't believe it would be a good purchase at anything like two grand. For 50% more you get close to a Euro 12" combo from some manufacturers and for less than that you can get quality separates with better metrics on bed length and/or width capacities as others have mentioned.

Roger Myers
10-18-2006, 4:14 PM
I'm in the same camp as the other comments you are getting... I have a Delta 15" planer and a DJ-20 8" jointer, and while they take up more space, I would never go back to a shorter bed 6" jointer.

One thing that isn't clear is if you are talking Canadian $ in your prices... if so, it is a little more reasonable, but still too much money in my opinion.

Kristian Wild
10-19-2006, 12:26 AM
Thanks for your input everyone. Roger, I actually made a rough conversion of the currency to US$ in the prices I gave. He said he paid $2700 CA$ for it in the mid 80's. Which at the time actually would have been more like $2100 US. Kris

Erik C. Hammarlund
10-19-2006, 10:56 AM
If this (http://lagunatools.com/xsd310.htm) is $3000 NEW;

If the combined price for this (http://www.southern-tool.com/store/powermatic_6_jointer.html) and this (http://www.southern-tool.com/store/powermatic_15_planer.html) is only ~$2000 NEW;

I have to (politely) think this guy has inhaled a bit too much dust.