PDA

View Full Version : Keen Kutter Question

Nick Clayton
10-18-2006, 9:05 AM
So I'm well down the slipery slope and am trying to figure out if there is actually a way to stop.......

I have been looking at some Keen Kutter planes and have a questions for you knowledgable neanders/galoots. Do the Keen Kutter planes with the rounded Bailey/Sargent style sides have the Bedrock frog or only the ones that have the coffin shape side like the newer Bedrocks?

Thanks in advance.
Nick

Mike Henderson
10-18-2006, 11:09 AM
I'm not an expert on Keen Kutter planes but I think the bench planes with a single "K", like a "K4", have the early Bedrock frog and those with the double "K", like a "KK4", have the Bailey frog.

I have a K4 and it has the early Bedrock frog. By "early Bedrock" I mean the ramped base but screws like the Bailey frog instead of the pins with the screws at the back of the frog like the square top later Bedrocks. In other words, the blade must be removed to adjust the frog, while in the later Bedrocks, it does not have to be removed.

Mike

Roy Wall
10-18-2006, 12:02 PM
I'm not an expert on Keen Kutter planes but I think the bench planes with a single "K", like a "K4", have the early Bedrock frog and those with the double "K", like a "KK4", have the Bailey frog.

I have a K4 and it has the early Bedrock frog. By "early Bedrock" I mean the ramped base but screws like the Bailey frog instead of the pins with the screws at the back of the frog like the square top later Bedrocks. In other words, the blade must be removed to adjust the frog, while in the later Bedrocks, it does not have to be removed.

Mike

This is correct! I too have a K4 "bedrock style" smoother......same early stye...

Looking straight on to the plane , the front sole will have one "K" and then the # (i.e. 4) on the front edge.......they are separated on the L and R of the front sole.

Nick Clayton
10-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Thank you for the clarification.

Roy Wall
10-18-2006, 2:11 PM
Nick,
I've got a photo of mine...........

THe "K" is on the front lower side (as photographed)....and the 4 on the opposite side..

Good luck!

Alex Yeilding
10-18-2006, 3:03 PM
This is correct! I too have a K4 "bedrock style" smoother......same early stye...

Looking straight on to the plane , the front sole will have one "K" and then the # (i.e. 4) on the front edge.......they are separated on the L and R of the front sole.
That (an Mike's comment) is consistent with my K5(corrugated sole), except for the splitting of the K and 5--there is enough room on the toe in front of the knob, and that is where the K5 appears (upside down to the user).

Mark Stutz
10-18-2006, 3:45 PM
So I'm well down the slipery slope and am trying to figure out if there is actually a way to stop.......

Nick

The answer, in short, is NO:D ;) Just sit back and enjoy the ride!

Mark