PDA

View Full Version : Newby question about mini-lathes

Dale Gregory
10-18-2006, 8:45 AM
Hi I've been lurking for a while and reading posts at this great forum!:D Does anyone have any feedback on the M-Power MC1018 Mini Lathe that Rockler sells? They have it on sale for $159. in their on-line sales ad.

I tried last week to get in on the Jet Mini VS/Chuck deal but they said they didn't have that kit and Jet was out of them so it looks like that one is dead.

I'm thinking about the M-Power, Jet, Ricon, and PSI at the moment. PSI and the M-Power look like the same Mfg. to me. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My goal is to start/learn with a Mini and eventuallyadd another lathe for large bowl/plates when my skill level merits moving up.

Thanks in advance! Dale

Dennis Peacock
10-18-2006, 8:53 AM
Dale,

Welcome to SMC!!!!!! :D

I know folks here have the Rikon with very good success and a nice lathe. I have seen and used the Jet mini and it too is a nice lathe. Someone will jump in here shortly and tell you about their Rikon or Jet lathes. Most of all, relax and have fun turning!!!!! :cool: :D

Nancy Laird
10-18-2006, 11:36 AM
Dale, I have to chime in here. I'm fairly new to turning, and I have a Woodtek mini-lathe that I bought this summer. It is nice to use and the price is right (about $220). You can find it at Woodworkers Supply--I'll send you a PM with more info).

Nancy

Pete Jordan
10-18-2006, 11:49 AM
I have ordered the Maxi from General though Woodcraft.http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/25200a.html
It is a little bigger and allows outboard turning. I will not receive it till the end of the month but it might be something worth looking at.

Pete

Rod Williamson
10-18-2006, 1:07 PM
Pete:

Could you give us an idea what the Woodcraft price is...my local store seems clueless. Thanks

Rod

Jerry Ingraham
10-18-2006, 1:53 PM
Dale,
I aws in exactly the same position last week and ultimately ordered the Rikon. It arrived yesterday and it is a great piece of equipment. Runs very smoothly, well machined, sturdy, portable, and easy to operate. I can't see how anyone could be disappointed in it.

Dale Gregory
10-18-2006, 2:14 PM
Dale,
I aws in exactly the same position last week and ultimately ordered the Rikon. It arrived yesterday and it is a great piece of equipment. Runs very smoothly, well machined, sturdy, portable, and easy to operate. I can't see how anyone could be disappointed in it.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm waiting to find out the price on the General as outboard turning diameters up to 15"+ seem like a nice feature plus it's VS. Otherwise, I'll go with the Rikon if my local store can ever get them in stock. I was also curious if anyone had any experience with the Rockler M-Power or like clones at the $159 price range?

Bernie Weishapl
10-18-2006, 2:16 PM
I bought my Rikon 2 weeks ago on sale for $219.99 at Woodcraft. It is one nice machine for what I would call a midi lathe. True 12" swing and you can change the belt without taking it totally apart. Low speed is around 430 rpm. Be careful of the one Rockler is selling as a buddy told me low end speed is 700 rpm.

By the way Dale Woodcraft told me the price one the General 25-200 M1 was going to be around $530.

Ed Thomas
10-18-2006, 2:47 PM
By the way Dale Woodcraft told me the price one the General 25-200 M1 was going to be around $530.
If you go to General's site www.general.ca and click on "promotions" you will be taken to an area where you can download the current flyers in PDF format. That lathe is listed at $529.00 US until mid January.

Pete Jordan
10-18-2006, 2:50 PM
Pete:

Could you give us an idea what the Woodcraft price is...my local store seems clueless. Thanks

Rod
Rod,

I paid $529 when I preordered and $125 for the stand.

Rod Williamson
10-18-2006, 7:22 PM
Thanks, definately worth looking at...I'm a lefty and swiveling the headstock seems appealing.