PDA

View Full Version : Faced or not?

Al Willits
10-18-2006, 8:25 AM
Well, the LOML, formerly known as my parole officer, has decided on a sideboard cabinet for the dining room, its to match the kitchen cabinets that she wants.
She mentioned that she kinda liked the faceless cabinets, and I of course like faced cabinets.....so....

Any major/minor difference in plus's or minus with either one?
These will be the first serious cabinets I'll make, and any tips on either would be welcome..
tia

Al

Jim Becker
10-18-2006, 10:10 AM
Al, do you mean "face frame" vs "frame-less"?? The asthetic differences are subjective. The functional differences revolve around how you build and potentially how you hinge. Frameless potentially offers more ingress/egress space since the doors are physically larger than those inset or overlaying frames.

My preference is to traditional face-frames 'just because I like them. Especially on furniture, but I go that way on cabinetry, too. :)

Laurie Brown
10-18-2006, 10:21 AM
I have built both kinds and really the differences are mainly cosmetic once they're finished. I personally perfer the framed cabinets also, I think the face frames look nicer than a box with a door.

Al Willits
10-18-2006, 10:34 AM
"""""""
Al, do you mean "face frame" vs "frame-less"??
"""""""

Yup....that's the newbie in me showing....:)

Well, that's three of us who like face framed cabinets and one who doesn't...almost a majority in this case..
Considering the sideboard cabinet is faced framed (?) would be easier.

Thanks.
Al

Scott Loven
10-18-2006, 10:58 AM
By any chance were you talking about inset doors (door set flush inside frame) vs over set doors (doors that overlap and cover-up the frame opening)?
Scott

Al Willits
10-18-2006, 12:31 PM
"""
A frameless cabinet is one that replaces the 3/4" thick solid wood face frame (on face frame cabinets) with edge banding. Or, put another way, when you build your box, instead of putting solid wood face frames on, put on edge tape/banding or thin wood strips no wider than the panels are thick
"""""""""

Scott, this is what I mean...I think..:)
One has the frame around the doors thats visible, the other doesn't appear to have that frame, least it looks that way..

Al

glenn bradley
10-18-2006, 12:46 PM
I like both but find face frames easier to work with when it comes time to mount/align drawers and doors but I'm just a newbie.

Neil Lamens
10-18-2006, 1:54 PM
Hi Al:

Here's a cherry side board with overlay construction. I believe this is one of th examples you are seeking.

Hope this helps..........Neil 48676

Bill White
10-18-2006, 1:58 PM
I sell some frameless cabs, but I personally think that they look too "commercial".
Bill

Jim Becker
10-18-2006, 4:01 PM
Here's a cherry side board with overlay construction.

Neil, that's a great example of when frame-less really works better on a piece of furniture. That particular piece uses outstanding wide book-matched lumber that by itself would be detracted from if face frames had been used. Nice!

Ben Grunow
10-19-2006, 6:36 AM
Just explain to her that face frame/inset door cabs are more expensive and harder to make and she'll have you off to the shop in no time.

Al Willits
10-19-2006, 8:29 AM
I showed the shebeast the picture of Neils sideboard and I got the look, this time it was the "good" look...seems we finally agree on something....so as it stands, I'll be building frameless cabinets and something as close to neils project as I can, only out of white oak.
Be nice to find a plan for it as I'm not quite ready to design my own stuff, Neil has some help he's gonna send (thank you much) and hopefully I can pick up some help from somewhere else as I go...:D

Kinda thinking on using QS for the drawers and doors, might look nice???

Thanks all.

Al

Neil Lamens
10-19-2006, 9:33 AM
Hi Al:

Put dimensions together check PM.

Neil

Al Willits
10-19-2006, 9:58 AM
Got it,thanks Neil.

Maybe a project I can actually take pictures of...:D

Al

Jim Becker
10-19-2006, 8:32 PM
Al, just remember with Neil's design, it's the material that makes the project work. You really, really, really must choose your wood carefully! But if you do, the rewards (in addition to the LOYL's love and affection... ;) ) will be great.

Al Willits
10-19-2006, 9:13 PM
Understood Jim, but the wife and I like the design, may change it slightly, but thinking plain white oak for the base and QS for the doors/top might look nice, thinking a bit of Natural Dainish oil and a few coats of clear poly with one or two coats of clear satin should look nice....hoping anyway.. :)

All goes well, maybe a good place to try some inlay, maybe make the top all one piece with out the border he has, and make an inlay border out of something.
Maybe if I get the extension on the saw and can resaw, might be able to use the chunk of rosewood I have...lots of options and the nice thing about being a newbie, I don't know what won't work, and might just come up with something nice....or I'll have a sideboard for the garage.
Ya probably have to admit ya don't see that to often...:D

Ought to be interesting.

Al

Neil Lamens
10-20-2006, 5:02 AM
Hey Al:

Plain and QS White Oak will work. I'm biased towards wht oak, often wondered what the piece would look like in Quarter sawn ashe; ....... but Jim is absolutely correct when he emphasizes wood selection, remember you are looking at an example of Flat Panel Cabinetmaking, that started with your frame or frameless question.

Work your available router bit profiles. Watch the balance between the base and the top.

Glad the sketch worked.

I love your "go for it" attitude.........Neil