PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who missed the hidden gloat in my other tread...

Dan Mages
10-18-2006, 7:54 AM
I'm excited to announce that LOML and I will be getting married next summer!! :D

Over Labor Day weekend, I took LOML for a wonderful weekend of camping at William OBrien State Park in Minnesota. On Saturday, we packed everything up for a day of fun in Minneapolis for my birthday (a convenient excuse to get her play along with camping plans). So we went around the neigborhood where I grew up to show her my old house, school and parks I played in. After this short tour we headed to Minneapolis and checked in at the Graves 601 hotel... Surprise! The camping trip was over. The Graves 601 is this modern art masterpiece in the warehouse district. Mark Singer would love this place, if he did not have a hand in desgining it. We were on the 19th floor of the hotel in a corner room with a terrific view of the surrounding suburbs. Lets just say she was quite surprised and a little confused about what was going on. After a nice dinner, we headed to the Minnesota state fair for a little fun and just about any food you can ever imagine, and a few you wish you shoudn't... on a stick. When we got back to the hotel, we peeked out the window and saw the fireworks from the state fair which we watched with over a couple bottles of Spotted Cow beer (Wisconsin's best). A great end to a great day.

Sunday started with breakfast at Hell's Kitchen, which is supposed to be the best breakfast place in Minneapolis. We headed back to the hotel and then went to the Walker Art Museum. Unfortunately, it started to rain, which worried me because that would have ruined my plans. Luckily, by the time we headed out to the sculputre garden, the rain had stopped. We walked around a bit and talked about the weekend. I told her that the weekend was actually all about her and that I wanted to give her an idea of where I came from and the guy she would spend her life with. I took her in front of the Spoonbridge and Cherry and got down on one knee. We both lost it and broke down emotionally. Yeah... I goofed and grabbed the wrong hand and she had to remind me to ask her after I put it on the right one. Anyhow, it was a perfect moment. By the time we got back inside and to the car, the rain was coming down again. I guess we had a little help from above.

On the way back to the hotel, we stopped at a grocery store to pick up some champagne, but found out that Minnesota is dry on Sundays... Darn! The rest of the day was great, but we were too emotionally spent to do anything exciting.

So yeah, that is why I have been gone alot over the past few months. But it was worth it!! :D

Have a good one!

Dan

John Branam
10-18-2006, 8:00 AM
Congratualtions on the engagement!

Kent Fitzgerald
10-18-2006, 8:32 AM
Great story and congratulations!

The part about the rain brought back memories. I popped the question in New York City on New Year's Eve, 1996. We went to the opera that night, and the original idea was to ask her afterwards at the fountain in front of Lincoln Center (one of our favorite places). Well, let's just say freezing rain wasn't part of my plan for a romantic evening. I waited until we got home, where champagne was waiting, she said yes (the champagne might have helped), and life's been good so far.

Dennis Peacock
10-18-2006, 8:47 AM
Congrats.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! May the two of you have a wonderful life in every day coming your way. Blessings upon you both.

Glenn Clabo
10-18-2006, 8:58 AM
How bout that! Nice start to a long and happy life together...CONGRATS!

John Bailey
10-18-2006, 9:39 AM
Way to go you two. Good Luck and best wishes.

John

David Wilson
10-18-2006, 9:46 AM
Congrat's Dan.

Jim Becker
10-18-2006, 10:41 AM
No gloat is real without pictures...LOL!!! Oh, Ok...congratulations!!! That's great news, Dan.

Al Willits
10-18-2006, 10:55 AM
Sounds like a great weekend, congrats on a great time.

Just wondering though, on the marriage thing...are we suppose to congratulate you, or give our condolences...:D :D :D

Hope ya two have an enjoyable life together...

Al

John Miliunas
10-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Hey, congrats, Dan! Hope the very best for the both of you! :)

And wasn't that whole proposal just about the sweetest thing you ever heard? Kinda' reminds me of mine with the LOML. We were living in the Union Grove, WI area when I got a promotion offer in the Madison area. Ahhh...I remember like yesterday. She said we're getting married or I get to move out here by myself! So, so sweet! What a woman! :rolleyes: :D :cool:

Jerry Olexa
10-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Congratulations, Dan and my best best wishes to both of you!! Great story and u planned it well except the rain and dry sundays. Happiness to both of you. Yes, a pic would be nice...

Dan Mages
10-18-2006, 1:14 PM
No gloat is real without pictures...LOL!!! Oh, Ok...congratulations!!! That's great news, Dan.

Okay!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DanMages/MISC/100_1714.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DanMages/MISC/TheHappyCouple-KISSING.jpg

John Miliunas
10-18-2006, 1:29 PM
Okay, now that's more better! :D Congrats again, Dan! Keep us posted on plans (and presents!) :) :cool:

Dan Mages
10-18-2006, 2:49 PM
Okay, now that's more better! Congrats again, Dan! Keep us posted on plans (and presents!)

Are you saying that we should register at the Northern Tool Company and post the registery information??

John Miliunas
10-18-2006, 2:56 PM
Are you saying that we should register at the Northern Tool Company and post the registery information??

Hey, hadn't thought o' that but, that's probably a good idea! :D Actually, and in all seriousness, I think Amazon has some type of registry like that! Now, wouldn't it be something to get some tools or stuff for the shop for wedding gifts??? :D (Yeah...Right...As she gives him some leather goods: Belt in the mouth and boot to the rear! :eek: ) :) :cool:

Glenn Clabo
10-18-2006, 3:01 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DanMages/MISC/TheHappyCouple-KISSING.jpg

Get a room dude! :D :D :D :D ;) ;) ;)

Aaron Koehl
10-18-2006, 3:21 PM
Congrats, Dan!

Randy Moore
10-18-2006, 7:56 PM
Congrat to you, Dan, and to the LOYL, but I have to ask. Who was taking the picture? If it was the future bride then who are you kissing? :eek: OR is she kissing someone else?:rolleyes:

Again,:) CONGRATS

Jerry Olexa
10-18-2006, 8:09 PM
Bravo...Great pics...Again, sincere Congratulations!!!

Rick Gibson
10-19-2006, 7:53 AM
Congrats Dan.

Tyler Howell
10-19-2006, 8:01 AM
Congrats Dan. Nice Rock. Looks pretty good in the lip lock department too.:D :D :D

Dan Mages
10-19-2006, 3:31 PM
Thanks everybody!!

And yes, that is us in that picture. My dad is the one who took the picture.

Dan

Dan Mages
10-19-2006, 3:34 PM
Hey, hadn't thought o' that but, that's probably a good idea! :D Actually, and in all seriousness, I think Amazon has some type of registry like that! Now, wouldn't it be something to get some tools or stuff for the shop for wedding gifts??? :D (Yeah...Right...As she gives him some leather goods: Belt in the mouth and boot to the rear! :eek: ) :) :cool:

For some reason, I think SWMBO may not be so pleased with that idea.

Dan

Jerry Olexa
10-20-2006, 5:25 PM
Dan, I forgot to mention that in addition to being a great WWer, you are certainly a romantic devil...Great plan and execution...Again, CONGRATS!!!

Dan Mages
10-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Dan, I forgot to mention that in addition to being a great WWer, you are certainly a romantic devil...Great plan and execution...Again, CONGRATS!!!

Thanks Jerry and everyone else for the kind words and congrats.

Being a good woodworker? Nah... mine looks like the work of drunken termites compared to the work all of you put out.

Dan