PDA

View Full Version : Received my new Grizzly G0513X BS Today!

Ken Lousignont
10-18-2006, 2:21 AM
Received my new Grizzly G0513X bandsaw today--one day early. Fedex Freight offered to do a liftgate delivery to my house at no extra charge. The driver was even kind enough to help me move it inside my garage (yes, I tipped him generously). Great service by Fedex Freight! One caveat---the crating is probably sufficient assuming the bandsaw is treated carefully during shipment; however, not sure the crating is up to protecting it very well if it is mishandled--especially if it falls and/or is transported on its side. Bottom line, check everything very closely and annotate *any* abnormalities before letting the driver depart or accepting delivery at the freight terminal.

It took me about 3 hours (I was in no rush) to uncrate it, install a Shop Fox mobile base, and install the table and fence. BTW, I installed the mobile base while the bandsaw was still sitting on the bottom part of the crate (I completely removed the entire upper part of the crate). After assembling the mobile base, I very carefully slid the bandsaw and mobile base together off the crate bottom onto some small "skids" and from there to the floor all by my lonesome. Wouldn't recommend anyone trying to do this unless you feel comfortable and confident doing so safely. This bandsaw is very top-heavy--if you're not careful it wouldn't take much for it to fall over.

With the mechanical assembly complete, I then fabricated a short extension cord and wired it to a 6-20 NEMA 220v plug. Removed the 1/2" stock blade and installed a new, run-of-the-mill, $20 Grizzly 1" 2TPI blade and cranked up the blade tension to almost max and commenced to give it a real test resawing 5/4, 9" high bubinga (45 inches long) into 3/16" (9" high, 45" long) veneer slices (for use in the back & sides of acoustic guitars). It cut every piece flawlessly with NO (zero) drift or wandering! Although I needed to put a bit of pressure on the bubinga to make even the slowest progress (this bubinga was VERY heavy, VERY dense, and VERY figured), the motor didn't slow down in the least. However, the motor did get very warm to the touch after the 3rd or 4th pass on the bubinga (approx. 30 min.).

In closing, I am so impressed with this bandsaw. The fit & finish was exemplary. FWIW, the only other bandsaw I considered was the Rikon 18" 10-345. I didn't need the extra 1 1/2" to 2" width of cut the Rikon offered (both offer 12" height of cut). So, I went with the G0513X and saved myself $150-$200. I've never used the Rikon, but after looking at the fit & finish on both closely (checked out the Rikon at the local Woodcraft), I'd have to say the Grizzly gets my vote on fit & finish by a close margin. Bottom line, the G0513X is one helluva lotta machine for the money! Highly recommended!!

Mark Rios
10-18-2006, 2:26 AM
Congrats Ken, and welcome to the creek. I'm sure you'll love the saw and it sounds like you've taken to it very well already. I have one correction for you though...................

Helluvalotta is one word.

:D :D :D

Congrats again.

Tim Morton
10-18-2006, 6:26 AM
I thought we had a rule here about pictures being required...i ask the moderators to delete this post until pics are posted:D

Guy Germaine
10-18-2006, 7:15 AM
This post is USELESS without pics!!:D

John Bailey
10-18-2006, 7:24 AM
5 posts and you haven't learned to add pictures. Gonna have to up the learning curve a bit here Ken!:D

Welcome to the Creek.

John

Jim Becker
10-18-2006, 10:06 AM
It can't be real...I can't see it! (Congratulations... ;) )

Tom Hamilton
10-18-2006, 10:37 AM
Hi Ken and welcome to the 513X Club. I received mine in June and had a delivery and set up experience very similar to yours.

BTW, Harbor Freight has metric "T" handled hex keys that make the undertable adjustments somewhat easier.

Enjoy!

Tom, in Houston, wondering if Ken's 513X really arrived since there are no pics!

glenn bradley
10-18-2006, 12:37 PM
My EYES!!! My EYES!!! Oh wait, I'm not totally blind, I just can't see the saw . . . . whew! :D

Ken Lousignont
10-18-2006, 2:59 PM
This post is USELESS without pics!!:D

Mark, Tim, Guy, John, Jim, Tom, and Glenn,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for my failure to post some pics :o. I hope this one pic makes up for the emotional trauma I have inflicted upon all of you :D. I just resawed the 5 pieces of bubinga (9" x 45" x 3/16") you see laying on the table of the G0513X last night. The guitar, which I just finished last week, is made out of bubinga (bloodwood fingerboard, mahogany neck, & figured maple binding/purfling) along with 10 coats of nitro lacquer!

Ken

http://www.ci812.com/Ken_sawmillcreek_G0513X_Guitar_Pics_17Oct06.jpg

John Bailey
10-18-2006, 3:20 PM
New tool gloat and pictures of finished project. Now, me thinks you've got it!!

Seems like Grizzly and Guitars go together. Would love to see some pics on how you put the git box together.

John

Mark Rios
10-18-2006, 5:37 PM
OOOooooohhhhhhhh...............Very nice!

Corey Hallagan
10-18-2006, 5:52 PM
Congrats on the new saw!! Wow, beautiful acoustic!

Corey

Russ Massery
10-18-2006, 6:52 PM
Thanks for the "minl" review. Been looking at one of those myself. Nice looking saw and Great looking Guitar! Love the the fret board. And Welcome to the Creek.

Bruce Page
10-18-2006, 7:10 PM
Nice looking bandsaw Ken, congrats!
Beautiful guitar!!

Barry Bruner
10-18-2006, 8:11 PM
Ken, I got mine in March and for the money I think it would be kinda hard to beat. I had a old Sears and anything would seem like a Caddy after it, there are a lot of great saws according to all the posts, almost went for the Min-Max but looked at my check book and got the Griz. BARRY BRUNER

Jim Becker
10-18-2006, 8:54 PM
Ok, let me add my "yum" on the guitar, too! Outstanding!

Jim Fancher
10-19-2006, 1:58 PM
Have they ever had the G0513X on sale? I was wondering if $895 is the best deal so far.

glenn bradley
10-19-2006, 2:01 PM
Looking at that beautiful guitar has restored my scarred eyeballs. thanks for the pics and being a good sport about the ribbing we were giving you. Congrats!

John Renzetti
10-24-2006, 9:23 PM
Hi, Little late on this. Probably because the initial post didn't have any PICTURES!. :) Seriously, great bandsaw. You'll have a lot of fun putting it through its paces.
Nice guitar also. I can see more of them being created in the future.
take care,
John

Jim Podsedly
12-30-2006, 2:29 PM
After lurking for many weeks in these threads i decided to go with the Grizzly 513x bandsaw. I also considered the Rikon new ultimate 14 inch one but decided on the 513x since it had more features.
My question is about blades.
What blades would be good ones to own? i plan on doing some resawing and just general cutting. I am new to using bandsaws so keep that in mind.

Thanks,
jim

Doug Hoffman
12-30-2006, 2:55 PM
Jim,just wanted to let you know this saw is on sale for $795 until Dec 31.
Also the price increases to $975 after Jan 1. The sale price requires the media code WOODM0612
You may have to call it in.

Jim Podsedly
12-30-2006, 3:09 PM
Doug,

thanks. i did call it in and they told me to put in the special instructions the wood magazine media code coupon. they said when the order comes through they will take 100 bucks off.

i heard the prices were going to be going up so i took the bandsaw dive!

I am not sure about the blades i should buy though.

thanks,
jim

Roy Wall
12-30-2006, 3:37 PM
Doug,

thanks. i did call it in and they told me to put in the special instructions the wood magazine media code coupon. they said when the order comes through they will take 100 bucks off.

i heard the prices were going to be going up so i took the bandsaw dive!

I am not sure about the blades i should buy though.

thanks,
jim

contact suffolkmachinery dot com and / or Louis Iturra at Iturra Designs (he has an 800 #)

THese two places have GREAT Bandsaw knowledge and can get you what you need in blades.

Great puchase for you...

And Ken - beautiful machine and even better project! Awesome work!!

Scott Halverson
12-30-2006, 7:06 PM
Where did everyone have there saw delivered. Is it possible to have this delivered to your home and be able to unload it without any special equipment? Will the driver help unload?

I've never ordered anything from Grizzly.

Also, how long does it take to get the saw, once ordered?

Thanks.

Don Bullock
12-30-2006, 7:17 PM
Congratulations on your new saw. Nice guitar too!

Tom Hamilton
12-30-2006, 8:28 PM
Scott, a lift-gate delivery is an added cost option. I think mine was $89.

The driver lowers the saw from the truck to the street level on a lift gate and then, in my case, with a smile and "where do you want it?" wheeled it up the drive slope, into the garage and up the 2 inches onto my wooden shop floor.

He left with some folding US currency and a cold beverage.

Hope this helps, Tom

Scott Halverson
12-30-2006, 8:37 PM
Thanks Tom,

So what was the total delivery charge? Was it an additional $89 added to the normal charge?

Tom Hamilton
12-30-2006, 9:19 PM
Scott, my records show $895 included the resaw fence, regular fence and miter gauge and standard shipping. The $89 was for the liftgate delivery.

You know, they have different promotions throughout the year. I purchased mine in mid-May for a mid-June delivery following a trip.

Enjoy, Tom

Scott Halverson
12-31-2006, 9:08 AM
Would it be possible to order the 513X today with the additional $100 savings with the coupon?

Can this be ordered on line, or does this have to be called in. I wonder if the sales dept. is open today.

Russ Massery
12-31-2006, 10:11 AM
Scott, I believe they are still open today. Tell them the media code is from Wood magazine. Here's the code WOODM0612. Made sure that it's the G0513X, Not the G0513. It's 32.00 extra for tailgate delivery which means the driver will lower it off the back of the truck. Then it's yours after that. Though I've heard from others that most driver's will help you get to the building.

Doug Shepard
12-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Seriously sweet job on the guitar. Nice tool gloat too.

Scott Halverson
12-31-2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks Russ. That's good information. I think I'll give them a call. I'll keep everyone posted.

Scott

Jake Helmboldt
12-31-2006, 12:02 PM
Jim, I suggest you get a copy of Lonnie Bird's The Bandsaw Book or Mark Duginske's book with a similar title. I have Bird's and I refer to it as a good resource on using the saw and choosing blades for particular uses.

I use Lenox blades because I have a local dealer that will weld up custom lengths w/ same-day service and for far less than any other blades. Check to see if there is a Lenox dealer near you. However, another local Lenox dealer charges exorbinant prices, but you can also find Lenox at carbide.com for decent prices.

Scott, unloading a BS is not as daunting as you might think. I inquired about these same issues when I bought mine. I ended up saving the liftgate fee (which can vary tremendously) and picked it up at the terminal w/ my pickup truck. I had them lay it on its spine still in the crate. And then unloaded it by myself and had it unloaded and uncrated in about an hour if I recall. Here is how I managed this:

Backed most of the way into the garage and then used a come-along attached to the ceiling joists (previous owner had a large chain hanging there) and attached the other end to both sides of the crating via tie-down straps (created a sort of sling that would both pull and support it underneath).

Using the come along I pulled it out of the bed to its pivot point and then lowered it to the floor w/ the come-along. Standing in the bed I then lifted it upright, uncrated it, and walked it off the pallet onto a couple short boards which I then kicked out from underneath to leave it resting on the floor. It really wasn't difficult, but take your time and don't strain yourself if you have to go this route.

Most importantly, ENJOY!

Jake

Scott Halverson
12-31-2006, 12:57 PM
Hey guys,

I can't get through to talk to anyone at Grizzly. Is there anyway to
enter the coupon code online? How can I find out where a shipping terminal may be?

Thanks, I'm about to enter my credit card number, but I'll wait for some advise.

Thanks,
Scott

Rick Christopherson
12-31-2006, 2:00 PM
My GO513X arrived two weeks ago. I didn't pay for a lift-gate, but the truck had one anyway. Because the bandsaw is so tall, I was planning on just tilting it out of the truck with a couple of friends.

After that I was planning on "bobsledding" it down the steps along the side of the house, but the driver volunteered to help out (my dad was still enroute so it was only me and a neighbor). The driver had a two wheeler in the truck, and we strapped it down to that to get it down the steps.

The point of my posting is that most carriers have lift gates on many of their trucks, so just because you didn't order one doesn't mean you won't get one. You just need to have a backup plan in case.

P.S. Scott: no there is no way to enter the code on line. However, you may try finishing your order anyway. If it asks for a shipping date, make it more than a week out. This way you have placed your order in December, and can call them on January 2 and ammend the order to include the discount code. (I think I read that they might be backordered now).

Scott Halverson
12-31-2006, 2:08 PM
Thanks for the reply Rick. I just submitted the order. In the comments section I entered the media code WOODM0612. Hopefully this will work.

I tried calling a couple of different numbers but can't find a person to talk to.

Scott

Rick Christopherson
12-31-2006, 2:21 PM
When you get to the checkout part of the order, you will find a 1-800 number at the bottom of the screen. This is the number I called to place my order.

I did the same thing as you, except I cancelled the order before fully completing it. This was the only place where I found this 800 number on the website, and I called them the next day. I don't recall, but this might be the same number that is on the catalog they sent me with the sawblades. 1-800-523-4777 It's their 24 hour automated order line, but I asked for an operator.

Scott Halverson
12-31-2006, 2:35 PM
Thanks Rick. I just tried to call the number. Just can't get a person to talk to. I may have to wait until Tuesday before I can talk to someone.

Scott

Mark Rios
12-31-2006, 4:24 PM
I just recently received my G0593 and my MM16. When I was on the phone with Grizzly ordering my jointer, I was asked if I wanted the liftgate service for $20 extra. I happen to know that my local terminal, FedEx Freight, sends out liftgate trucks to residential deliveries as a matter of course. So, I said no to the extra fee for the liftgate service. The order taker said that she needed to tell me than that I would be responsible for getting the jointer off of the truck myself and that the driver wouldn't help me. When I scheduled the delivery of my MM16, the terminal again (a different terminal) asked me if I needed a liftgate. I said yes and they said, "Fine". Nothing more. I don't believe that Grizzly is trying to scam the extra $20 but you may not need to pay it.

You might want to find out who and where your local freight carrier is and, when you call them to schedule your delivery (something you must do) you can then tell them that this is a residential delivery and therfore need a liftgate. About four years ago I had some machines delivered to my old address and the local freight company's liftgate policy was the same.

It might pay to find out.

Scott Halverson
12-31-2006, 4:38 PM
Thanks for the valuable information. How do I know who my local freight terminal is. Is this something Grizzly has to tell me?

Scott

Jim Podsedly
12-31-2006, 5:33 PM
I talked with grizzly and they instructed me to put the code in the special instructions box and they assured me they would take 100 bucks off.

i will be looking for the discount and will call if it does not show up.

Grizzly is usually pretty good.

Jim

Russ Massery
12-31-2006, 5:37 PM
Just Email the customer service there pretty promt with a responce. though you might not hear anything back till Tuesday. Because of the holiday.

Mark Rios
12-31-2006, 5:54 PM
Thanks for the valuable information. How do I know who my local freight terminal is. Is this something Grizzly has to tell me?

Scott

Yes, Scott. Grizzly should be able to give you a (toll free) number for the freight company that is picking it up from them and then, in turn, the freight company should be able to get you in touch with your local terminal.

Eric Mims
12-31-2006, 6:06 PM
I did this with my g0513x. Lift gate from shipping co. was going to run 60-70 bucks, so I just drove 10 minutes to terminal and they forked it into my truck. Having a TracRac sliding rack on my truck made it easy to transport the bandsaw upright.

Yes, Scott. Grizzly should be able to give you a (toll free) number for the freight company that is picking it up from them and then, in turn, the freight company should be able to get you in touch with your local terminal.

Doug Hoffman
12-31-2006, 6:41 PM
Someone else said they put the code in the comments section too,and it worked.
As for them being backordered, I ordered mine saturday and got shipped notice today. Mine is coming by UPS/LTL over-nite. I was told it would be Fed-ex freight. I used my little Kubota BX2350 end loader to unload my Uni,this saw is lighter but much taller.I hope most of the weight is low enough stabilize it in the bucket.Of course,I will have it chained.

Scott Halverson
01-02-2007, 3:32 PM
I just spoke to a CSR at Grizzly about the order I submitted on Sunday, the 31st. I entered the media code WOODM0612 in the comments section. She told me my order is on hold. She did not know why, or if I can use the code for the $795 price. They are supposed to call me back.

Has anyone else had this problem with an internet order on the 31st?

Thanks