PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt DW618PK first impressions

Matt Meiser
10-17-2006, 8:38 PM
Since I sold the four routers I had, I needed to pick up something new. I wanted to go to a single kit that would do everything I needed for both table and handheld routing. Based on a few reviews, it looked like the Dewalt DW618PK would fit the bill and after opening it up tonight I'm quite certain it will. Among the things I like:

Dust collection looks to be as good or better than what my old DW621 had.
Dust collection adapter fits the Festool hose perfectly after trimming off the outer part of the adapter.
Router won't fall out of the fixed base when mounted upside down in the table.
Fine adjustment in the table looks like it will be easy.
Rated the same as my DW621 for power, which did well for me in the past.
A little more ergonomic than my old PC 690's
Should fit an existing plate that I have for the PC 690's based on an email from Pat Warner, but I didn't try it yet.
Removable cord will be nice if I ever damage it.
Variable speed.

Lowes had as good a price as any.

Jim Becker
10-17-2006, 9:24 PM
Love mine...with all three bases. Even though I have a couple Festool routers that are wonderful, I still pick up the DeWalt DW 618 for any number of options that are particularly well suited to the fixed base or D-Handle. And although I haven't used the plunge base much, it's nicely executed. Good choice, Matt...IMHO.

Hoa Dinh
10-17-2006, 9:29 PM
Matt,

Great minds think alike :D

Here's my gloat (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=43013).

Corey Hallagan
10-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Love mine as well. I think it is the best feeling, nice sqwatty router I have ever used. I added a set of the Pat Warners bases.

Corey

Jeffrey Makiel
10-18-2006, 7:20 AM
I have the DW616 which is basically the same tool as the DW618 but without the variable speed and softstart feature. It shares the same base attachments.

Works pretty darn well, and comfortable to use. The only complaint is that long splintery chips get caught in the vacuum riser tube and create a blockage. This issue is noticable only when hogging out wood as in wide shallow mortises.

-Jeff :)