PDA

View Full Version : Shop Version 2.0 layout

Matt Meiser
10-17-2006, 1:33 PM
Last night I started looking at how I want to rearrange my shop. The drawing below is the first stab at that. I already moved the cabinets that I had been using as an outfeed table to where my MS stand was. I then mounted the mitersaw on top of them. If I keep the TS, I'll be building a new, smaller outfeed table for it. I also moved the lathe out of its previous home and moved the belt/disc sander and bandsaw to their new home. Next I plan to move my WW workbench and tool cabinet to where they are shown on the drawing. Before I get too far though I wanted to post my plan and let people make suggestions and comments because I always get new ideas from that.

A few things about the layout.

I know it would be better to have the dust collector closer to the dust producing tools, but the tools really need to be on the right side and the dust collector is already installed on the left. Changing those basic arrangements would be a major undertaking.
The Freestar is physically the biggest vehicle we own and I don't anticipate buying anything bigger. However just in case we hit the lotto tonight I tried and a 2007 Ford Super Duty Supercab fits too. :D
I'll probably use the spray booth for storage as I do now when I'm not using it. I just roll stuff in and out as needed.
I'm trying to minimize the fixed objects in the center of the floor to make the shop flexible. This also means minimizing dust collection drops from the ceiling. Since I have 12' ceilings, it is a pain connecting or disconnecting anything that high up.
Placing the table saw as shown minimizes dust rework as there is alread a 6-6-4 Wye at about that location that I can change out for a 6-6-6 wye.

http://www.meiserfamily.com/images/shop layout rev3.jpg

Rennie Heuer
10-17-2006, 1:47 PM
Hi Matt,

I'm no expert on this stuff (disclaimer)......

Considering all the DC work is where it is (right side), would you consider moving the collector into the unheated space (other side of the wall from the clamp storage)? This looks like it would shorten the run and provide for a quieter shop.

Also, I see no jointer or planer. Are these on wheels somewhere?

Matt Meiser
10-17-2006, 2:58 PM
Theoretically I could move the dust collector, but it would be a major project I just don't want to undertake at this time. But, I could do it later. In addition to ductwork changes, I would have to make wiring changes (both power and control wiring) and would have to duct the blower discharge to an appropriate place since I exhaust outside without filters.

I'm not going to have a jointer any more and am planning to "downgrade" to a lunchbox planer that I'll pull out when needed. Otherwise it will be in storage, probably in the spray booth.