PDA

View Full Version : Finish supply sources?

Kenny King
10-17-2006, 1:16 PM
Please post any suppliers that your happy with. I would especially like to find the best (cheapest) suppliers for Target USL and Furh finishes. I'm also interested in dewaxed shellac and other supplies.

Thanks,
- Ken

Loren Hedahl
10-17-2006, 2:42 PM
I don't know if there are any discount distributors of Target products. If you find out, let me know.

For dewaxed shellac, I just get it at the local Home Depot under the Zinzzer label. Don't know if there is a cheaper way, but the convience factor enters in here, since when I mention local, I mean about a mile away.

Larry Fox
10-17-2006, 4:27 PM
Target, I buy directly from Target or through Homesteadfinishing.com.

Furh, never used it.

dewaxed shellac (and other supplies) - www.Homesteadfinishing.com (http://www.Homesteadfinishing.com)

cheapest is a relative term when talking about quality finishing products (including the finish itself). Jeff at Homestead is not always the cheapest (by his own admission I believe) but his stuff is first quality, he stands behind it, is available for questions / advise AND he operates a website with a very active forum - as a result I look to his site first when I need finishing supplies.

My $0.02

Steve Schoene
10-17-2006, 5:00 PM
I can't get dewaxed shellac from the borg in my neck of the woods. Neither HD or Lowes carry Seal Coat.

I will second www.homesteadfinishing.com as a good source for all of the items you mentioned. www.shellac.net (now defunct, but the site still seems to be up) used to be the low cost source of shellac flakes, but is now gone.

Woodworker's Supply ( www.woodworker.com ) carries what appears to be the full line of Lockwood aniline dyes, as well as lots of other materials under their house label of J.E. Moser in addition to name brand items. Woodcraft carries a fair assortment of materials, but I have never found it to be the low cost source for anything. (But I'm only about 20 minutes away from two of them in opposite directions so I use one or the other when I need things now not tomorrow.)

Kenny King
10-18-2006, 8:28 AM
thanks for the responses... i'll have to check out homestead. Someone recommended Hartville tool for casters, and I later found out that they sell Whiteside router bits for a decent price... but I didn't see much in the way of finishing products from them.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond... i'll let you know how I make out.

- Ken

Carl Eyman
10-18-2006, 9:44 AM
Note FWW has an article on water finishes this issue. Rate Fuhr's 355 varnish very high. It was better than their best buy, but not quite as high as the overall best (but a lot cheaper).

Jim Becker
10-18-2006, 10:25 AM
I buy Target direct from Target and Fuhr from Homestead Finishing. Both are excellent brands and have a number of different finishes depending on your needs.