PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any dyeing experience?

Kurt Rosenzweig
10-17-2006, 12:29 PM
I been turning a hollow vessel today and the wood really lacks interest. I figure this it a good candidate for a dye job. I've never dyed wood before so this will be a learning experience for me. Can anyone offer and incite on the process? Any help appreciated! Thanks in advance, Kurt

Jonathon Spafford
10-17-2006, 1:06 PM
Your question is a little broad because there are soooo many coloring techniques possible for turnings and it all depends on what kind of effect you want. There are single colors, you can blend colors, there are grain fillers for highlighting grain, etc. If you are part of a club that has a library maybe you can check out a couple videos on the subject... I know that Jimmy Clewes in his video "Turn Around" has a good little section on dyeing. Joan Sanders has a really nice video on dyeing and coloring tecniques for wood. Also, Chris Stott has a very good video on coloring wood. Can't remember these last two titles, but I think they are pretty much called what they are so they should be pretty obvious. There are so many coloring options that these last two videos cover. I would really recommend checking out these vids!!!

Jonathon

Dennis Peacock
10-17-2006, 1:09 PM
Ask Travis Stinson. He dyes several pieces of his turnings with outstanding results.

Frank Kobilsek
10-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Kurt
Check the Crafts Supply website there is a Clewes instruction sheet.
Frank

Andy Hoyt
10-19-2006, 11:28 AM
I'll let ya know in thirty some odd years! Oh wait - that could be tough to do :D

Glenn Hodges
10-20-2006, 12:11 PM
Kurt, I use analine dye I keep premixed with water in a jar. Some like to use the dye with alcohol. When I need it I shake the jar and brush it on until the wood is the color I like. After the piece is dry I hand sand it with 600 grit, and then spray with lacquer as if it was never dyed.

Richard Madison
10-21-2006, 10:31 AM
For something cheap to try (on some scrap, please), there's Rit fabric dye. Your results will vary with each type of wood.

Kurt Rosenzweig
10-21-2006, 4:01 PM
Thanks Guys! It's gonna be tomorrows project.

Don Orr
10-21-2006, 10:17 PM
I'm still alive and turning:D .