PDA

View Full Version : Last of the firts

Paul Engle
10-17-2006, 9:52 AM
This the last of the firts ....firsts lol. a Jack Pine burl started out the size of a cantalope. now is about 4 in tall and 4 in around, natural finish.Hole for a standard candle drilled 7/8 and brass ring installed ( Wife wants glossy finsh now so have removed ring and waiting for when I have the rest of my bells done to do all at once. very easy to turn , just have to use face shield and dodge flying bark...:eek: 4863548634

Dennis Peacock
10-17-2006, 11:11 AM
That's pretty interesting Paul. Are those heavy with pine rosin? If so, that'd be pretty flammable. :eek:

I like the turning and the way the wood is split like that. Very unique and well done.

Paul Engle
10-17-2006, 11:57 AM
The green ones are REALLY full of pitch , i have done many of these the hard way years ago shaping with saw and sander and even baked at 300 deg F to help dry up and never had any problem, but in testing the only way we could get em to light up was with open flame.Even ground one against a disc sander as hard as I could press and just clogged the disc something fierce and stalled the motor.Now I can't say the same for the dust tho,there is always chance of spark ignition from static charge in dust collector ,( mine is grounded )and the chips make good camp ground fire starter even in the rain/snow.

Dennis Peacock
10-17-2006, 1:12 PM
OK....I can't spell...."resin". :o

I understand and know now that you "know" it can be flammable. Just wanted to err on the side of "in case you didn't know" safety kinda thang. :rolleyes: :D

The green ones are REALLY full of pitch , i have done many of these the hard way years ago shaping with saw and sander and even baked at 300 deg F to help dry up and never had any problem, but in testing the only way we could get em to light up was with open flame.Even ground one against a disc sander as hard as I could press and just clogged the disc something fierce and stalled the motor.Now I can't say the same for the dust tho,there is always chance of spark ignition from static charge in dust collector ,( mine is grounded )and the chips make good camp ground fire starter even in the rain/snow.

Paul Engle
10-17-2006, 4:10 PM
Dennis,
I wasn't trying to correct you at all :D :D ..... the resin or pitch causes all the color on these as the older ones are just grey and pretty much stay that way, and with out using stain, (and even stain does not help much) they are pretty dull.You are correct about the saftey issue tho. One cannot be too careful sometimes. if you have never worked one , my scouts are out hunting and gathering ( on private land only Fed Gov/ State forestry dept, will not let me harvest with out large bond for damage to Public lands) I will send ya one of normal size 4-6 inches, larger ones tend to die off and dry up and not kill the tree for years. The bugs leave an intresting blue stain that can be found in lumber yards called blue wood. infected jack pine or bull pine .let me know, and I will send you one.