PDA

View Full Version : Newest Bowl Turning

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-20-2003, 7:54 PM
I turned this little gem over the weekend. The Box Elder I have is getting to the point where the moisture content will allow for predictable results. I really didn't have a form in mind when I started this bowl, I just let the gouge take me where it wanted...........and this is the result. I applied a couple of coats of Oil, then let it dry Sunday and buffed it with the Beall this evening. Man, everytime I fire up the Beall buffing system, I like it more and more. This was one of the lesser streaked sections of Elder I have, but it was also the driest. I managed to coax a few highlights of streaking out of it. ;) As always, thanks for taking a look, I enjoy sharing my work with everyone! :)

Tom Sweeney
10-20-2003, 8:04 PM
Kevin this one is really awsome - not a "normal" shape but I really like it.
I have got to turn some of my box elder that stuff is great looking. Can I send mine out to you to be beal buffed :D The shine is pefect for the box elder - doesn't distract from the natural wood.

Another "job" well done!

Glenn Hodges
10-20-2003, 8:50 PM
Kevin, I like that box elder, the color is spectacular. Nice shapeed bowl and what a finish.

Steve Clardy
10-20-2003, 8:59 PM
Kevin, you have got to quit this or not post the pictures!!. I want to turn up these sassafrase blocks I sawed up a few weeks ago but do not have time. I keep looking at your turnings and I have got to squeeze in some play time somewhere!!!
Like the red streaks in the box edler, really neat.
I've been looking for some red elm for a couple years now to no avail for some turnings. I milled a red elm for a guy several years ago, boy, it was blood red all the way from the sap wood to the heart wood. Very pretty.
Guy wouldn't sell me any of it. Gosh darn heck----------

Jim Becker
10-20-2003, 9:33 PM
Very slinky! Nice turning and great finish, Kevin.

Speaking of box eldler, Anthony brought up a good point at the Bucks Woodturners meeting tonight...keep these turnings out of the sunlight as you will lose that beautiful coloration a lot faster over time. He showed an example of a piece he turned a number of years ago that pretty much lost all the red, except for a small amount on the bottom that was obviously not exposed.

Noah Alkinburgh
10-21-2003, 8:02 AM
Kevin, you have got to quit this or not post the pictures!!. I want to turn up these sassafrase blocks I sawed up a few weeks ago but do not have time. I keep looking at your turnings and I have got to squeeze in some play time somewhere!!!

Yeah Kevin what Steve said :D

Hey Steve, is that green sasafrass or dry stuff? Have you turned it before? I have a bunch of dry scrap laying around and been thinking about gluing up some turning blocks from it, but was curious how it would turn.

Noah

Don Farr
10-21-2003, 8:09 AM
You have done it again Kevin. Absolutely outstanding.

Steve Clardy
10-21-2003, 10:34 AM
Yeah Kevin what Steve said :D

Hey Steve, is that green sasafrass or dry stuff? Have you turned it before? I have a bunch of dry scrap laying around and been thinking about gluing up some turning blocks from it, but was curious how it would turn.

Noah

Haven't ever turned and of it before Noah, so do not know how it will do. These are kinda dry, but still green. Cut from dead trees that were in the yard. This is very light stuff, so would imagine it would be a challenge to turn this stuff.
Steve

Noah Alkinburgh
10-21-2003, 11:14 AM
Haven't ever turned and of it before Noah, so do not know how it will do. These are kinda dry, but still green. Cut from dead trees that were in the yard. This is very light stuff, so would imagine it would be a challenge to turn this stuff.
Steve

Steve,

I have used it for some other projects and I enjoy it. I splinters very easily so I would think very sharp tools would be essential especially when its dry. I am very interested to see how it works for you.

Noah