PDA

View Full Version : Gloat? Not yet! Delta 22-580 experts needed

Jeff Cord
10-16-2006, 11:39 PM
I purchased a 22-580 refurbished (in Mexico according to the label) and it showed up today.
Missing one screw (not a big deal) but I think there is a bigger problem and a smaller problem that I need help with.
When I removed the blade guard to check the blades I noticed something that didn't quite look right.

(First, look at the item that says "Something missing?". Is there supposed to be a label there or something? Not a big deal in any case.)

The possible bigger problem is labeled "chip ejector" which is where chips come out of the planer.
Here is a picture the blade guard (you have to imagine that the picture is taken from inside the planer) and the opening lines up with the chip ejector.
It appears that there is a piece of metal bent here that will actually stop chips from properly flowing out into my dust collector.
Is this a problem? Or is this designed to be this way?
thanks,
Jeff

John Lucas
10-16-2006, 11:51 PM
Jeff,
I had this planer a number of years ago but do not recall the details. I suggest you do a few tests. It sounds like you already have purchased it, so have you run it yet? Stay away from the blade side and listen to the action. It will be noisey but not from the blade action.
Does it cut wood? Raise the head up to just above a good piece of lumber and give it a try. Lower the ehad on each pass and see what happens. If things seem to be working properly, use the shoot that lays over the cutters and connects to your dc. http://www.woodshopdemos.com/lyptus10.jpg

And here is the page where I am using this planer:
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/lyptus-2.htm

scott spencer
10-17-2006, 5:05 AM
Mine has both the concerns you raised...neither are a concern.

The missing piece is just a Delta decal. They sent me one upon request.

That piece of "bent" metal is really a vent to the motor, and it's angled AFAIK...not bent. The chips come directly off the blade ....no worries.

http://www0.epinions.com/content_156115177092

Joe Mioux
10-17-2006, 9:07 AM
Ditto what Scott Said.

Justin Dreier
10-17-2006, 6:55 PM
Ditto on what Scott said. I just reversed blades on this unit and what you are seeing as bent metal keeps chips from getting into the motor. Actually I think the motor air blows through and into the DC exit. Either way, you should be ok.

Now - for it to be a gloat, you need to tell us the price:D

By the way, I love this planer. The blades are incredibly easy to change out and set. Nothing to it and it's done a fantistic job for me.

Regards, Justin

Tom Henry
10-17-2006, 7:14 PM
Jeff- Ditto on the top results... I got mine on ebay for 156 with a mobile stand and dust collection chute. No reserve... that would be a gloat inside a gloat...HAHAHA

Jeff Cord
10-17-2006, 10:57 PM
I guess, based on the prices mentioned, I need retract the gloat.
I didn't get anywhere near the deal you did.
I'm not going to say exactly how much I paid but it was between $299 and $301.
Jeff

Tom Henry
10-18-2006, 9:35 AM
I love that planer... I just planed down some oak and it was like silk coming out the other side...

Chuck Harris
10-18-2006, 5:11 PM
Great Planer! I got mine from Lowes a couple of years back. They were discontinuing them and had them on sale for $199.:)

Robert Mickley
10-18-2006, 11:20 PM
Well I'm no expert but. The metal that is bent up is to deflect the outfeed or air from the motor. The theory is that the motor air will help propel chips out through the chip ejection port. IT works ok till you take a heavy cut and plug up the chute.

I modified mine to get a bigger opening.