PDA

View Full Version : FedEx delivery gone wrong. (long)

Jason Roehl
10-16-2006, 8:15 PM
First off, let me be VERY CLEAR on this--I have nothing against FedEx in this post, they made a simple mistake that others made much worse.

Friday evening, my wife informed me that FedEx's website had declared her order "delivered on porch at 5:21 PM, no delivery confirmation needed". Well, there was no package on our porch. Just then it dawned on me that I was coming down our street at exactly that time, and the FedEx truck was parked a few houses north of us, in front of the home of people that, well, you wouldn't expect to ever order anything. So my wife goes down there to see if the package was mis-delivered. The people say that they had not received our package. Then my wife gets on the phone with FedEx, gives them the appropriate info, which they say they will have the driver investigate the next day (Saturday). Saturday morning, I receive a call from the driver who starts describing my house in fairly vague terms (that all fit)--up until she said that she opened the door to the porch to leave the package. The problem, I tell her, is that my porch doesn't have a door. She says she'll try to reclaim the package, and it could be 5PM before she gets there.

I get on with my day, helping a friend do the rear brakes, wheel cylinders and an axle seal on his pickup (another adventure in its own right). While on one of our several trips to town for parts, my wife calls me to say that the FedEx driver was at our house, the "neighbors" had refused to give the package back, and, to top it off, while the drive was talking to the "neighbor", their dog BIT HER IN THE FACE. Fortunately, the bite wasn't bad, just a small poke below the corner of her mouth. So my wife called the police for the driver. Not long after that, my wife calls me again to tell me the "neighbor's" son had brought the package down to our house, open, but with nothing missing. A few minutes after I got home, the driver said she couldn't wait for the police anymore (it had been 45 minutes or so), so she left her information with us and got on her way. Well, the police and animal control eventually showed up, so we had an interesting conversation before they went down to the "neighbor's." The officer was familiar with the address, not through personal experience, but I presume through locker-room talk. There were several good screaming matches I heard this summer from our "neighbors" (four houses away, mind you), at least one of which was accompanied by several sets of red and blue lights.

The officer told me that they're pretty sure that household has a police scanner, and that's why we got the package shortly after my wife called the police--and the call was dispatched on police radio. I told the officer that we got our package, so we're fine and don't want to press any charges, but that we couldn't speak for the FedEx driver. He said there's a potential felony involved since the package was opened. I don't need hillbilly neighbors ticked at me. Halloween is coming, you know. I don't know what happened after the police left my house to go to theirs, so I'm waiting for it to show up in the police blotter of the local paper. I'm sure I'll eventually find out because our "neighbors" live next door to some good friends of ours.

I ended up feeling real bad for the FedEx driver because she made a simple mistake (hey, don't we all?), and it got kind of ugly. Nothing against FedEx, in fact, kudos to them for correcting their error quickly. Thumbs down to my "neighbors" for their anti-social behavior.

Charles McKinley
10-16-2006, 8:52 PM
Hi Jason,

What a story. The drivers for FedEx are basically private contractors. She may still lose her contract over this even though you got the package. Your "neighbors" are real gems.

I hope you have a safe and vandalism free Halloween.

Andy Hoyt
10-16-2006, 9:09 PM
I feel for the driver, I really do.

But inquiring minds need to know.

Did your thoughtful wife buy your Halloween gift from LV, WC, CSA, PW, or who?

Ray Bersch
10-16-2006, 10:09 PM
Things can really happen with deliveries - and neighbors. I have good neighbors but I had a funny event with a delivery - Tirerack sent the wrong size tires via UPS, so I called and they said they would send replacements, and will have UPS pick up the wrong set - Well, they sent the replacements FedEx and sent UPS to pick up the wrong order - you got it - FedEx dropped off the new set of tires and a few hours later UPS picked them up and sent them back to Tirerack - of course, I did not know this happened until a few days later when I called Tirerack to complain about not getting the replacement tires - well, the story goes on because the correct tires were no longer in stock - but you get the idea!

Mark Riegsecker
10-16-2006, 10:33 PM
Jason,

I don't know if you intended your story to be funny but it was somewhat. I ordered a miter saw fence from beyser balh...blah whatever that name is. After a few days not really thinking about it anymore my neighbor pulls up with his pick-up and unloads a real long cardboard box. WOW I better send flowers I didn't know how bad it could have been:D

Later, another delivery order was placed this one took weeks I called UPS they said it was shipped two weeks ago and put at the door. Well I use that door and I know it wasn't. after telling them IT'S IMPOSSIBLE I put the phone down and opened the front door WOOPS :o my Appoligies.

John Shuk
10-16-2006, 10:38 PM
Hi Jason,

What a story. The drivers for FedEx are basically private contractors. She may still lose her contract over this even though you got the package. Your "neighbors" are real gems.

I hope you have a safe and vandalism free Halloween.

Fed-Ex ground is the former RPS (roadway package systems).
They are independant contractors. Regular Fed-Ex are employees.

Bill Turpin
10-17-2006, 12:06 AM
Our address numbers change one digit for each 8 feet of road frontage. All our stuff at 304 gets delivered to the first house #101. Our house is 1624 feet further up the road, thats over a quarter of a mile!. 101 is vacant and no one has lived there for over five years. Obviously the drivers have absolutely NO concept of mileage or they can't count. Our thirty dollar a year Post Office box has cured the hard drive in the snow, the sawzall in the rain, the fruit cakes eaten by the possums, and the 90 day supplies of meds stolen by the neighbors. The USPS can find their mail boxes. :)

Bill in WNC mountains

Jason Roehl
10-17-2006, 12:20 AM
I feel for the driver, I really do.

But inquiring minds need to know.

Did your thoughtful wife buy your Halloween gift from LV, WC, CSA, PW, or who?

Nope, it wasn't a Halloween gift. Just some stuff she bought for either homeschooling or our homeschooling co-op.

In this case, the mistake was that the driver got the wrong house number--delivered to x09 instead of 409. We order a fair amount of stuff and have never had a real problem. Of all the houses she picked, it was definitely one of the worst. Any other household on the street could have read the label and probably would have had the package to us before the evening was out.

Tim Morton
10-17-2006, 6:26 AM
Nope, it wasn't a Halloween gift. Just some stuff she bought for either homeschooling or our homeschooling co-op.

In this case, the mistake was that the driver got the wrong house number--delivered to x09 instead of 409. We order a fair amount of stuff and have never had a real problem. Of all the houses she picked, it was definitely one of the worst. Any other household on the street could have read the label and probably would have had the package to us before the evening was out.
My guess is that they opend the package and found "learnin stuff" and had no use for it. I bet if it had been a shotgun of a chainsaw you would have never seen it again. Glad it worked out. bad neigbors are the worst!!!

jeremy levine
10-17-2006, 8:46 AM
My guess is that they opend the package and found "learnin stuff" and had no use for it. I bet if it had been a shotgun of a chainsaw you would have never seen it again. Glad it worked out. bad neigbors are the worst!!!

I like it :)

Dennis Peacock
10-17-2006, 11:07 AM

Inerstin concep thar Tim. But I jist bet that thar's purdy true. We homeschool too and our neighbors won't have nuttin' to do with our deliveries. :D

Jason,
How's the FedEx Driver? Dog bites can be rather bad.

Jim O'Dell
10-17-2006, 12:31 PM
My problem with all deliveries is that the subdivision we live in is about 8 huge oversized square blocks. On the south end, there is a single street that goes to about 10 houses that are separated by a creek from the front section. Where the street come into our section, the street changes names for some reason. Our house faces this street-XXXXXXXX. Our front door, mailbox and driveway, face XXXXXXXX also. Our garage is a side entry, door is on a short cul-de-sac off of XXXXXXXX called XXXX Ct. Our mailing address is on this little side street. Great for big deliveries to my shop! :D , but UPS for other things is a hassle. We've found packages left by the shop before (detached bldg). Only thing I can think of is the drivers think it is a separate, small!, but separate house. Luckily it's by the garage door and we can find them, so far. Jim.

Wes Bischel
10-17-2006, 1:17 PM
Jason,
I'm glad things worked out - though I hope the driver is okay - as is your house after Halloween.:(

I had one item taken from our doorstep - figures for a Christmas creche scene. That was one disappointed - and maybe guilty thief!;) :D

Wes

Ken Garlock
10-17-2006, 2:15 PM
Say there Jim O., I am surprised that you don't get all the deliveries for the neighborhood, after all X marks the spot.:o :eek: :)

Jim O'Dell
10-17-2006, 3:23 PM
When I first wrote that, I had the actual street addresses without the numbers in it, and thought that that might not be a good thing to do. Each X does stand for a letter, errrr digit. :D Jim.

Robert Mickley
10-17-2006, 4:06 PM
The FedEx ground folks get ripped so bad. My brother orders Grass fed Organic cheese from a guy in Wisconson that comes fed ex. His driver told him that when his truck was paid off in november he was hanging it up. They get paid by the delivery and he figured after expenses he was making like $5 an hour.

The whole fed ex ups thing is funny. Woodmizer shipa my sawmill blades UPS, But they send me FedEx shipping labesl to send them too the resharp center. Who ships them back FedEx. I'm lucky. My UPS girl Sue drops all of my stuff in the woodshop, And the FedEx girl puts everything on the porch where it can't be seen from the road.

Aaron Koehl
10-18-2006, 3:26 PM
I don't need hillbilly neighbors ticked at me. Halloween is coming, you know.

In the context of your neighbors, so sad yet so true.
I always wonder about retaliation after the authorities get involved.