PDA

View Full Version : Help Removing Glue from Clamps

Greg Caputo
10-16-2006, 6:39 PM
Did a pretty good size glue-up over the weekend. Used Titebond III glue. The stuff is all over the Bessey clamps. Any thoughts how to remove it? It doesn't respond to the "use a hammer" approach.

Thanks for your help.

Greg

Dennis Peacock
10-16-2006, 7:54 PM
Don't know about TB III, but I use standard wood glues all the time and I just use a putty knife, pocket knife, or whatever is sharp enough laying around to scrape the dried glue off my clamps. Worked good so far, IMHO. :D

Doug Shepard
10-16-2006, 9:15 PM
I've had decent results using a heat gun on the bar portion of clamps but if you're talking about the plastic portion of the Besseys, I'd not try that.

Steve Kohn
10-16-2006, 9:35 PM
I've had decent results using a heat gun on the bar portion of clamps but if you're talking about the plastic portion of the Besseys, I'd not try that.
I have the same problem with glue on clamps. Can you please describe in more detail what you did to remove the glue?

Thanks

Rick Schubert
10-17-2006, 1:19 AM
Here are some more ideas from a similar question I posted awhile ago:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39453

Rick

Doug Shepard
10-17-2006, 7:00 AM
I have the same problem with glue on clamps. Can you please describe in more detail what you did to remove the glue?

Thanks

Sorry. The glue problem I had was on the serated bar on my Gros-Stabil clamps (I dont have any Besseys). It was just enough to stop the head from sliding smoothly. I tried acetone, denatured alcohol, and hot water and wasn't getting anywhere. So I grabbed a heat gun and heated it up real good then took a stiff wire brush to it. I'm not sure I got it completely out of the serations, but enough that the heads would slide again.

Phil Pritchard
10-17-2006, 8:14 AM
Old fashioned cabinetmakers/joiners trick: wax your cramps then you'll have less of a problem as the dried glue will peel/chip off.