PDA

View Full Version : Asian meets Arts and Crafts, sort of

Dick Latshaw
10-16-2006, 3:16 PM
Finished up a table last week out of some maple that I picked up last April at Wall Lumber. It is destined to hold up a TV set.

Here it is awaiting final sanding.

And with four coats of Waterlox Original and a coat of Johnson's Wax.

Rennie Heuer
10-16-2006, 3:20 PM
Dick,

I like the clean lines and 'sturdy' design. Well done!

Larry Fox
10-16-2006, 3:28 PM
Ohhhh - I like that. Very nice work. I really like the proportions.

Jim Becker
10-16-2006, 3:39 PM
Very nice. That subtle detail in the profile of the lower stretcher is nice, too.

Rich Torino
10-16-2006, 3:41 PM
Nice work,.... I like the curve in the lower stretchers along with the mission style..

Mike Cutler
10-16-2006, 5:09 PM
Find some old milk crates to hold up the TV. That's a very nice table you have made there.

I like the figure on the legs. The horizontal figure make the table "lift" along the legs. Nice, very nice

Nancy Laird
10-16-2006, 5:13 PM
Dick, is that table made from plans in Woodsmith magazine? If so, we build tables from the same, with some modifications to make them look "Southwest-y." Beautiful table. If it's the same one, then I'll post a pic of one of the ones we did.

Nancy

Jesse Cloud
10-16-2006, 5:36 PM
Love the table - and the workshop is clean enough to get you into Fine Woodworking magazine:rolleyes:

Corey Hallagan
10-16-2006, 5:38 PM
Looks great. Love the tiger striped legs. Very nice.

corey

Dick Latshaw
10-17-2006, 9:48 AM
Thanks for the nice comments everyone. If I were to do another one, I think I might make the top stretcher just a bit narrower. Also, before I cut the legs to length, I had it dry fit together with the top elevated about 2 inches above the top stretchers. Interesting look that I may have to try some other time.

Nancy: Sorry, not from any plans - just some sketches and scale drawings combining some looks that I like. I would like to see your table.

Jesse: The shop is not that clean when I'm working. I don't like a bunch of stuff under foot though. I usually sweep up at the end of the day.

Nancy Laird
10-22-2006, 6:48 PM
Nancy: Sorry, not from any plans - just some sketches and scale drawings combining some looks that I like. I would like to see your table.

Dick,

Here, finally, is a picture of the table we built:

It looks remarkably like the table you built - notice the "southwestern" influence in the Kokopelli figure on the end. It's scroll-sawn from purpleheart--looks great against the red oak.

Nancy