PDA

View Full Version : Project Plans Forum is Open, Enjoy Your New Forum

Keith Outten
10-16-2006, 1:29 PM
Aaron opened the Project Plans Forum this afternoon. Please read the first post that identifies a few rules that are pertinent to this special Forum. There is an initial 2 Meg file size limit which we believe should be plenty of room for large projects.

Please help us get this Forum up and running. Be generous and share your project drawings in our New Forum.

Thanks to everyone in advance for supporting our Project Plans Forum.

Here is the link;
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=29

Enjoy!

Mike Wenzloff
10-16-2006, 1:35 PM
Hi Keith,

So has it been decided to not charge for using the plans forum, or is that something which may change down the road?

Thank you, Mike

Edit--should have read Aaron's opening message first. As this was a general announcement, I thought maybe this had changed.

Thank you, Mike

Rob Bodenschatz
10-16-2006, 1:41 PM
That's great news. Can't wait to see what shows up. I have a suggestion and a question.

Suggestion: It looks like the posting of pictures is allowed on that forum per the existing SMC rules. I think it would be good if those who post plans also post a picture of the result. That way, we wouldn't need to download the zip file, unzip it and open it just to see what it is.

Question: It says that current contributers are allowed to download plans. Does that mean that you need to have contributed during the current year to be eligible? Or, anyone who has ever contributed is eligible? The reason I'm asking is, I, and many others contributed more than the recommended $6 this year. Because of this, I may not contribute every year. Will I lose my access during those off years?

Keith Outten
10-16-2006, 2:23 PM
That's great news. Can't wait to see what shows up. I have a suggestion and a question.

Suggestion: It looks like the posting of pictures is allowed on that forum per the existing SMC rules. I think it would be good if those who post plans also post a picture of the result. That way, we wouldn't need to download the zip file, unzip it and open it just to see what it is.

Question: It says that current contributers are allowed to download plans. Does that mean that you need to have contributed during the current year to be eligible? Or, anyone who has ever contributed is eligible? The reason I'm asking is, I, and many others contributed more than the recommended $6 this year. Because of this, I may not contribute every year. Will I lose my access during those off years?

Rob,

Aaron and I just had a telephone conversation about this topic. Aaron is looking to see if we have a means of managing donations that have been made in the past that are above the suggested 6 dollar annual donation. We also had a few last year that donated hundreds of dollars, we need to find a way to provide a permanent title for those who were so generous. It would be best if we could go to an accounting system that was not based on an annual event and could post time to everyone's account per each donation. Aaron is looking into the possibility or such a system.

Once again I would like to thank everyone who donated to keep The Creek online last October and to those who have contributed throughout the year. I believe the total number of people who have donated is 409 through and including yesterdays date. Our next fund drive is scheduled for early in November. John Bailey will once again serve as our Fund Drive Coordinator.

We will certainly recommend that project pictures are included with each post in the new Forum. Obviously it will save a huge amount of bandwidth and server clock cycles if people can see a picture of the project and not download large files that they do not have an interest in building.

Scott Loven
10-16-2006, 2:45 PM
Question, Is this just for plans that we develop ourselves? Can we also post links to plans available on the web?
How about free plans that we have downloaded from other sites?
Scott

glenn bradley
10-16-2006, 3:10 PM
I may only think I asked this question or I missed the answer. Before I dive in to the plan forum, please clarify for me with a yes/no:

We can post plans, pics, etc. that are our own. That is to say; posting commercially available plans (scans of PlansNow or Wood Mag plans) would be a no-no.

Thanks,

Keith Outten
10-16-2006, 3:20 PM
Scott/Glenn,

The intent is for our new Forum to provide plans for those at SawMill Creek.The standard rules apply concerning copywrite issues in that you may not post plans that are copywrite protected without written permission from the owner. Even free plans will normally require permission to post in an online Forum.

Any plans that are part of the public domain are legal to post here.
Any plans that you develope and are willing to share are also legal to post.
Links to plans online can be done in the General Woodworking or other appropriate Forum here as long as it doesn't violate any of our TOS regulations.

Aaron Koehl
10-16-2006, 3:23 PM
I may only think I asked this question or I missed the answer. Before I dive in to the plan forum, please clarify for me with a yes/no:

We can post plans, pics, etc. that are our own. That is to say; posting commercially available plans (scans of PlansNow or Wood Mag plans) would be a no-no.

Thanks,
Glenn,

That is correct: You may post plans that are your own, or that you have permission to post by the owner of the plans, or any plans of which are in the public domain.

glenn bradley
10-16-2006, 3:55 PM
Got it this time, thanks!