PDA

View Full Version : newbie questions red sail

Jim Huston
10-16-2006, 12:33 PM
Hi All: Interested in buying a laser engraver and wondering if anyone has had real world experience with any of the China built ones. Mostly Red sail. The good, the bad and the ugly. The pricing is interesting but wondering about service, parts, etc.
Thanks

Dave Chase
10-16-2006, 12:59 PM
Jim,

There has been a number of threads on SMC about this very topic, the most recent one titled "Cheapest online vendor for Lasers". Here there is some discussion about the Chinese lasers and Redsail to be specific. There are also several threads about comparing the industry heavy hitters such as Epilog, ULS, etc. Search through the forum and you'll find a wealth of info and advice about lasers. Good Luck!!

Jim Huston
10-16-2006, 2:06 PM
Thanks - i had searched the site but wanted more info if possible!

Bob Keyes
10-16-2006, 5:08 PM
Jim,
I have a Chinese laser. It is not a Red Sail, but a Chinese laser non the less.
It runs fine. It has been quite a learning experience. I had to learn a lot about lasers. There was NO support for the one I bought. All of my experience has been what I have learned here and "cut and try"!

If I can help just let me know.

Levi Chanowitz
12-05-2006, 6:20 PM
I just bought a chinese laser
I am having trouble understanding the manual.

Do I need to understand and set all the settings,or is it ok to leave it at default?

Pete Thomas
12-05-2006, 7:01 PM
Here is an interesting link about the low cost China lasers and RedSail. Gets really interesting around the aug 06 time frame in the post. Really makes you wonder if you are thinking about a China system.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14100

-pete

Jim Huston
12-06-2006, 8:18 AM
Thanks for the info. I bought a new Universal M 360 60 watt and am loving it. Decided that since I knew nothing about lasers I would go with a proven unit. When time allows I may buy a Chinse large unit to play with.
JimH

Ed Newbold
12-07-2006, 6:41 AM
Thanks for the info. I bought a new Universal M 360 60 watt and am loving it. Decided that since I knew nothing about lasers I would go with a proven unit. When time allows I may buy a Chinse large unit to play with.
JimHI can't agree more. I have had my Universal M-300 running for over 4 years now, absolutely problem free. It worked perfectly from the git-go, and has run perfectly every day of the year since then.

If you want to have a production-ready machine, purchase a proven machine. If all you want to do is experiment with laser engraving machines, in general, then by all means go for a cheap Chinese machine.