PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help UPDATE

Karl Laustrup
10-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Wife found this monster over the weekend.:eek: :D

We always get at least one of these each year for corn and squash soup. Haven't had one this big before. I usually just use my butcher knives and hack and slash through the skin until I get to the good stuff inside. I'm pretty much worn out by the time I finish also. Surprisingly I've never amptutated any appendages doing it that way. :cool: :D

This one being so big though, I was wondering if anyone out there has any safer way of getting the skin off, short of nuclear devices. :eek: We usually just cube the flesh up and freeze it for later use so I don't really want to cook it till the skin gets soft in order to get to the good stuff. Besides, while I have a pot big enough to put that thing in, I'd have to build a fire outside for the pot.

Any ideas, suggestions????:confused:

TIA,

Karl

Don Baer
10-16-2006, 10:48 AM
I'd be tempted to put it on the bandsaw..:rolleyes:

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-16-2006, 10:49 AM
An axe and a stump come to mind :D

Dennis Peacock
10-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Bandsaw........but.......Normally, around these aparts, we don't eat sumpin' that looks like that. :rolleyes: :p You been watering that with some neuclear waste water? :p :p :D

Lee DeRaud
10-16-2006, 11:01 AM
What Stu said, although I'd probably reach for the machete instead of the ax.

Of course, I expect it's as hard to find a machete in Wisconsin as it is to find a snow shovel in southern California. :cool:

Dan Mages
10-16-2006, 11:01 AM
Hacksaw or backsaw may work, and it will be easier to sanize an clean the blade before and after than a bandsaw.

Andy Hoyt
10-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Finally! Something for a mustard lathe!

Ken Garlock
10-16-2006, 12:13 PM
It looks like that might be a Hubbard squash. I grew a few when we lived in Ohio. They are mean to open, as you well know. My all time favorite is the Acorn squash.

I just thought of this. Go down the local borg and get the cheapest rip saw you can find. Wash it throughly. Have at the squash just like it was a big burl. PLus, you are armed for next year.;)

Ted Calver
10-16-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm with Andy on this one. Mustard worked for me!!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14178

Karl Laustrup
10-16-2006, 12:42 PM
I had thought of using my bandsaw, but the thought of the clean up really is detering me from that endeavor.

Getting an el cheapo saw isn't too bad an idea. And yes it is a hubbard Ken. They are so good eating, but a pain to get into.

Had a machete at one time. Tried it on one of these. It punctured the skin only about 1/16". If you ever need a snow shovel Lee, just holler.

I guess it could be chucked up and spun. That could be messy, but I'll bet it'd be a lot of fun. :D :D

Andy, you want to try???? Or Dennis????

Karl

John Miliunas
10-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Laguna 16HD. :D :) :cool:

Karl Laustrup
10-16-2006, 12:52 PM
I'm with Andy on this one. Mustard worked for me!!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14178

That's a smooooth skinned one Ted. And a lot smaller than the monster I've got.

FYI the beast measures 22" from stem to stern. 43" circumference and somewhere around 18-20" accross. It weighs in at a svelte 26.4 lbs. Not bad for $5.00.

Karl

Lee DeRaud
10-16-2006, 1:06 PM
If you ever need a snow shovel Lee, just holler.I'm waaay over my lifetime quota for shovelling snow. If I ever need a snow shovel, either something has gone very very very VERY wrong with my retirement or that "global warming" theory is seriously flawed. :eek:

john whittaker
10-16-2006, 1:51 PM
Log Splitter...hydraulic if available.

Or drop from a 20 story building on concrete?

Maybe have a semi run over it?

Well worth the effort once you get inside.

Hey Karl, I like the draw fronts in your kitchen....Did you make those?

Jack Hogoboom
10-16-2006, 5:06 PM
Potato peeler?

David Wilson
10-16-2006, 5:13 PM
Karl
Impale it on a spike in a tree stump and use a chain saw. I'm sure you have seen chain saw carvers at work, use that tecnique.

John Miliunas
10-16-2006, 5:19 PM
Potato peeler?

Hey, now there's an idea! I'll bet the Popeil Family has something in their Ronco line that would do the trick! "It peels, it slices, it dices and will even clean the litter box for you! Three easy payments of $19.99 and, if you act today, we'll include....." :D :D :D

(Strangely enough, some of the stuff they have actually works pretty decent! :) ):cool:

Karl Laustrup
10-16-2006, 6:34 PM
Potato peeler?

ROFLMAO!!!!

Ted Calver
10-16-2006, 9:40 PM
That's a smooooth skinned one Ted. And a lot smaller than the monster I've got.

FYI the beast measures 22" from stem to stern. 43" circumference and somewhere around 18-20" accross. It weighs in at a svelte 26.4 lbs. Not bad for $5.00.

Karl

Now Karl...no need to get personal! :D :D

Karl Laustrup
10-18-2006, 4:14 PM
Got to thank all of you for the various ideas. Didn't use any of them. :eek: :confused:

Your ideas led me to think about using a recip saw. :D I had some 14 TPI blades [unused], but that wasn't working too good. So to the borg and I snag some 6 TPI looong blades.

Had that puppy cut in half and cleaned out in less than 5 minutes. Just shy of an hour and it was completely skinned and quartered.
48685 48686

Made a fairly big mess, but the clean up is well worth not having to struggle with that beast. Just have to cut it into chunks now, which can be done with a butcher knife. :)

Thanks again for the help.

Karl

Karl Laustrup
10-18-2006, 4:17 PM
Hey Karl, I like the draw fronts in your kitchen....Did you make those?

Can't say that I did. We picked them out when we had our house built last winter. They're hickory.

Karl

Tim Morton
10-18-2006, 6:22 PM
Got to thank all of you for the various ideas. Didn't use any of them. :eek: :confused:

Your ideas led me to think about using a recip saw. :D I had some 14 TPI blades [unused], but that wasn't working too good. So to the borg and I snag some 6 TPI looong blades.

Had that puppy cut in half and cleaned out in less than 5 minutes. Just shy of an hour and it was completely skinned and quartered.
48685 48686

Made a fairly big mess, but the clean up is well worth not having to struggle with that beast. Just have to cut it into chunks now, which can be done with a butcher knife. :)

Thanks again for the help.

Karl

I was looking over at my new reciprocating saw as i was reading and was JUST about to suggest that when I got to your post.:D

Jim Becker
10-18-2006, 9:31 PM
Great idea! The recip saw doesn't get used enough...so now there is another use!

Norman Hitt
10-19-2006, 1:30 AM
Great idea! The recip saw doesn't get used enough...so now there is another use!

You're right, Jim. I don't really like climbing up in trees or standing on ladders anymore to use a chain saw when I need to prune them, so I had the brilliant idea to use a recip saw. Since I didn't own one, and wasn't sure just how well it would work, I picked up a cheap one on sale at HF, but bought some top of the line blades, and it has worked exceptionally well and I've trimmed trees, shrubs, large hedge branches etc. It sure feels safer to use up high than my chain saw, and since it was a cheap one, If I should drop it, it's no big deal. I've cut limbs up to 7" in dia. with it, and it is really fast to cut all the limbs up into 2' lengths so I can just put them in the trash bins without the city complaining.

Hey Karl, did you ever get your shop up and running again? Maybe I missed it if you posted shop pics after getting your new machine set up.

Karl Laustrup
10-19-2006, 6:49 AM
Hey Karl, did you ever get your shop up and running again? Maybe I missed it if you posted shop pics after getting your new machine set up.

You haven't missed it Norman. The X-31 is running and I've used the jointer/planer and saw function. Haven't gotten around to trying out the mortiser or shaper, but those are gonna get some use. I had a slight accident with the jointer which set me back a few weeks. Healing up now and getting back to it. Mostly waiting on the Byrd Shelix head for the jointer/planer to arrive before I start doing any of the bigger projects.

Thanks for asking and I'll post some pics once I get the space straightened out a wee bit more. :o :)

Karl

larry merlau
10-19-2006, 7:58 AM
You haven't missed it Norman. The X-31 is running and I've used the jointer/planer and saw function. Haven't gotten around to trying out the mortiser or shaper, but those are gonna get some use. I had a slight accident with the jointer which set me back a few weeks. Healing up now and getting back to it. Mostly waiting on the Byrd Shelix head for the jointer/planer to arrive before I start doing any of the bigger projects.

Thanks for asking and I'll post some pics once I get the space straightened out a wee bit more. :o :)

Karl
a neanderthal approach for next time karl..a good ripping handsaw will work just fine. and then the quartering will work witht he butcher knife.. that wonderful kitchen shot looks familiar:) hope the crew can arrive togehr agin someplace next year:)