PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Accounts

Steve McKee
10-16-2006, 10:32 AM
I think it's time to start calling on commercial accounts and was wondering what experiences others have had in doing so. Do you call ahead of time or just show up? What products or items have worked well for you with commercial accounts? What should I try, or not try?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Pelonio
10-16-2006, 10:53 AM
I would estimate that 98% of my laser work is commercial accounts, and probably 80% is wholesale, for items to be resold or to be used as a component in something to be sold. Nice customers because almost always they order in quantity. Most of them have come to me
via their google search looking for someone that does the type of work they needed, though several were people I already did sign work for.

I was planning to advertise specifically to certain types of customers including other sign shops but have to hold off on that until I have a second laser since the poor thing's running all day as it is.

Here are some of the kinds of commercial customers that I have now:
Advertising Specialty Retailers
Custom Car Shops
Other Signs Shops
Electronics Manufacturers
Medical Laboratories
Animal Hospitals (high turnover, lots of name badges)
Commercial Property Managers
Building Contractors, especially electrical
Alarm Companies
Custom Boat makers
Quilt Stores
Plastic Fabricators (with no laser)
Elevator Company
Large Local Software Company
University Corporate Education Department

Mike Null
10-16-2006, 12:16 PM
I don't know if you're working from a retail shop or your home but your web site is set up exclusively for retail type sales. I would urge you to add whatever commercial things you want to do to your site. Maybe even consider a separate site and company name.

Like Joe, almost all of my business is commercial. The beauty of commercial business is the re-orders. They tend to be automatic. I know now when to expect nametags, quarterly and annual awards, parts marking etc. I know I can't take a vacation in July-Sept.

My list of clients is similar to Joe's but I do military, schools, colleges and organizations.

I would drive around town and see where there are a lot of cars parked. Typically, they have a lot of offices and need nameplates and nametags as well as employee performance awards.

I would scour the yellow pages and make calls ahead of the visits. Do some research on the web to see what others are doing.

Joe Pelonio
10-16-2006, 12:32 PM
I don't know if you're working from a retail shop or your home but your web site is set up exclusively for retail type sales. I would urge you to add whatever commercial things you want to do to your site. Maybe even consider a separate site and company name.

Mike, I like your suggestion. Currently I have a storefront but am getting ready to move to the house in the next 2 months. At that time I will be re-doing it anyway, since I will no longer be open to the public. Such a move takes a lot of time so I don't want too much more business until I get settled in. I've moved twice before but have kept the same phone numbers and was able to put a sign on the door directing people to the new place, this time I have to do a lot of notifications to my customers.