PDA

View Full Version : UV protection?

Byron Trantham
10-16-2006, 10:31 AM
I will be making floor to ceiling bookcase that will be adjacent to windows. Actually the sides of the bookcases will be right up against the window frames. I normally use water based aniline dye and Target spray on lacquer. I know from experience this combination doesn't hold up well in sun light. Anyone have a better combination of dye/top coats that will better resist fading?

Steve Schoene
10-16-2006, 10:17 PM
Pigmented stains, resist fading well, though some more than others. If you check on a site catering to the fine arts such as Kremer Pigments, you will see comments on the light fastness. Many of the earth colors--umber, sienna, and ochre are iron oxides that are very light fast. Some of the metal based dyes (TransFast) are relatively lightfast, but not nearly as resistent to color change as pigments.

Marine spar varnish is relatively UV resistent, but is softer that is good for bookcases. You might consider using paint on the sides that are against the window frames--match the trim color. Or, you might change out the windows to reduce the UV that comes through. (eg. laminated windows for hurricane impact resistance filter out 99.9% of the UV according to the specifications on one brand of windows.)