PDA

View Full Version : Need a new Cordless Drill?

Tom Henry
10-16-2006, 10:27 AM
My DeWalt finally broke! I am in the market for a new CD. I thought about looking into the Porter Cable CD but need some feed back from the experts...:rolleyes:

Al Willits
10-16-2006, 10:31 AM
fwiw I have the 14 volt DeWalt and been pretty happy with it, it has pleanty of power, batteries seem to hold out well, and it's light enough to use overhead, unlike the 18 volt one which I thought was to heavy for a CD.

Al

lou sansone
10-16-2006, 10:34 AM
I like my PC ...14 volt . Had a makita and it was also pretty decent. Bosch makes a good unit as well.

Doug Shepard
10-16-2006, 11:06 AM
Panasonic. I switched when my 2nd DeWalt's batteries finally died and love mine.

Mike Lawler
10-16-2006, 11:12 AM
If by "broke" you mean the battery is no longer any good, consider getting it rebuilt.

If you are in the market for a new one, take a look at impact drivers as well. They aren't recommended for drilling, but do well running screws in.

Dennis Peacock
10-16-2006, 11:12 AM
I've worn on DeWalt CD's...and yes, even the one's that are $200+ each. I've switched to using Hitachi and so far, so great!!!! The Hitachi are less expensive than DeWalt, but in my opinion are ass good or better built. Another very good CD is a Makita. Of course if you have some money to spend? Get a Festool CD. That should be the last one you ever need. :)

Rob Bodenschatz
10-16-2006, 11:13 AM
I have this Panasonic & it suits me just fine:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009KDGX/002-0744641-6951230?ie=UTF8

Peter Mc Mahon
10-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Not a Rigid. Total piece of crap. My chuck developed a major wobble the first time I put in a spade bit. The chuck still works so it is not covered under warranty.

glenn bradley
10-16-2006, 11:21 AM
I've got a DeWalt and a Makita, both over 7 years old and get used almost every day. The DeWalt is on it's second set of batteries (being an old 9.6v, I got 'em for $10 a pair at a Lowe's sidewalk sale). The Makita batts refuse to die! Bear in mind, it's easy to kill batteries through casual storage and charging methods.

P.s. I have a C-man that came for free with some other stuff. I wouldn't pay for it but it's better than HF.

Quinn McCarthy
10-16-2006, 11:21 AM
I have an 18 volt Bosch.

Wonderful drill. Matbe a little on the heavy side. I have dropped that thing at least 4 times from the 8 foot step ladder. Hasn't broke yet.

Q

Tom Henry
10-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Nope the Chuck broke... It won't close and open all the way. It is stuck and I tried everything to fix it. I don't think it is worth putting it through a Recon, since it is 7 y/o.

Rich Torino
10-16-2006, 11:42 AM
I have two Millwaukee 14.4 volts recons. Have had them for about a year and work great.

Ken Werner
10-16-2006, 11:46 AM
Ditto about the battery rebuild. I've got a DW 18 and it is too heavy for most use. I reach for the DW 12 much more often.
Ken

Tom Henry
10-16-2006, 12:43 PM
I was looking at the new Dewalt 14.4 volt as well. Anyone own one of these?

Mike Spanbauer
10-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Can't help you with the new DeWalt 14.4 unit Tom, but I have a 14.4 Milwaukee set (impact, driver / drill, light, 2 batt's, charger and bag) that is brand new and going up for sale in the next few days. If you're interested, PM me and we can chat.

Mike

Chris Jenkins
10-16-2006, 12:51 PM
Depending on what you do I can say I have been very happy with both my PC 19.2 hammer and 9V. I can tell you the 19.2 is way too heavy unless you use it a lot and get used to the weight.

Absolutly love my 9 for everything around the shop and house (NOT a jobsite tool, though I drove a lot of drivewall screws with it on a few jobs)

FWIW, I know when the 19.2 quits I'm going over to a 14v Impact instead. We have a few at work, it's half the weight and does the same job as the 19.2 (minus the hammer drilling, never tried anything like that).

Chris

Larry Conely
10-16-2006, 12:52 PM
I have a Bosch 18 volt impact drill. It is unstoppable. I als0 have a 20-year-old Makita 9.6 volt drill that has really been through the wars. It still perfarms great. Inspite of the power of the Bosch, I usually reach for the Makita because it is lighter and better balanced.

Terry Flowers
10-16-2006, 1:01 PM
I don't know about the new one, but I have had a DW 14.4v for many years. Still using the original batteries. I only use it around the house and in a home shop, but I think it is a nice balance between weignt and power.

Alan DuBoff
10-16-2006, 1:03 PM
Use this opportunity to get a Panasonic, everyone who has them raves over them. I have an 18v Makita, it works well, but if I was getting a new one I'd go with the Panasonic.

Ken Werner
10-16-2006, 1:26 PM
My experience with Panasonic was dissappointing. It was more expensive than similar units, but I bought it thinking I was getting better quality. The batteries died within a couple of years, and the control for in/out broke in a king of fall that I think my other CDs would have handled. I know many love their Panasonics, but IMO, they aren't worth the high price.

Paul Canaris
10-16-2006, 1:34 PM
Purchased a while back and I really like the Fein Model ABS14. It has 14.4 volts, 0-400 / 0-1,400 rpm, 327 in/lbs torque, 1/2" chuck. Cost $220. It is very well built.

My Dewalt CD batteries (both) failed after just 12 months, so I wont be repeating that buy.

Alan DuBoff
10-16-2006, 1:52 PM
My experience with Panasonic was dissappointing. It was more expensive than similar units, but I bought it thinking I was getting better quality. The batteries died within a couple of years, and the control for in/out broke in a king of fall that I think my other CDs would have handled. I know many love their Panasonics, but IMO, they aren't worth the high price.Ken,

You're the first person I've heard that had any type of negative experience. I wonder if the units have changed, I thought a new one came out less than a year ago?

Rob Bodenschatz
10-16-2006, 1:54 PM
Ken,

You're the first person I've heard that had any type of negative experience. I wonder if the units have changed, I thought a new one came out less than a year ago?
I bought mine less than a year ago so I can't comment on the battery life. Thought it was a newer model when I bought it. Can't say for sure, though. I also can't comment on the breakage since I haven't dropped mine. Yet.

Nancy Laird
10-16-2006, 1:58 PM
Tom, I'm sending you a PM

Nancy

Tyler Howell
10-16-2006, 2:30 PM
Tom,
I have a PC 19.2VDC combo kit. Not real happy with the drill, saws OK and I'm on my second charger. ($71.00 worth). The cordless flash ligh is the best part of the kit..
I'm a Makita man when it comes to cordles hand tools. Must have been spaced out when I bought the PC:o .

Ed Breen
10-16-2006, 2:35 PM
I guess I'm a DeWalt type. I have three 14.4 drills, one 7 screwdriver and the 12 volt impact. I use the impact most of all to drive and extract screws. Reason I have so many is I have a hard time driving past an auction or yard sale.
Ed:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Al Willits
10-16-2006, 2:50 PM
I've had several CD in the last 2o or so years and my favorite was the first, it was a Sears commerical unit that fit my hand well and reversing was easy to do, the varible speed worked well and batteries lasted a long time....unfortnately it lacked in power.
After wearing two of them out (used them at wark also) I went to a Makita 2 speed unit, had power but the reverser was a pain and it felt stiff, even after 6 or 8 years, plus it doesn't have the keyless chuck.

The DeWalt 14 volt I have has a nice feel, pleanty of power and decent battery life, the reverser is usable without removing my hand but barely.
The 18 volt was to heavy for general use, I thought.

Looked at other CD's and just didn't like the way they feel, not sure any is much better or worse in that price range, but I use a CD a lot and how it feels in my hand is important to me.
fwiw, I'd buy another 14volt DeWalt.

Kinda like asking what's your favorite car, you're gonna get many different replies. :)

Al....1965 Olds 442 convert...btw. :D

Ken Werner
10-16-2006, 4:21 PM
Alan, This was several years ago, but when I have a bad experience with a manufacturer, it sticks, and I usually don't buy from them again. FWIW.
Ken

Sam Chambers
10-16-2006, 4:32 PM
I've had a Makita 14.4v for about 8 years, and have had no problems with it. The batteries don't last quite as long on a full charge as they used to, though.

Corey Hallagan
10-16-2006, 5:45 PM
You didn't say what the use is. Is it used everyday in your work? Just hobby use? For hobby use, I don't see the reason to spend hundreds of dollars on cordless tools. Seems like all of them have battery issues at some point and new batteries cost tons. For my home shop, I am using the Ryobi 18V system. Batteries are 2 for 39.99. and they work in any of the 18V tools and all the past 18V Ryobi tools. Just my opinion. For wood working use I find my 12V craftsman the one I reach for the most, it is light and plenty of power for any of those applications. When I need more power I use my corded or 18V.

Corey
Corey

skip coyne
10-16-2006, 6:56 PM
Ive got the ryobi also , works great .

Ive owned , makita , dewalt , and milwaukee and for the money you cant beat the ryobi .

I use mine to make a living , I dont use the drill all day long , usually no more than a hour or so at a time .

I like all the extra tools that I go with the kit that I dont really need and wouldnt have bought but do come in handy from time to time .

(besides which other set offers a 18volt portable fan ? ) :rolleyes:

Don Baer
10-16-2006, 7:12 PM
another happy Ryobe owner here. LOML got me the kit over a year ago and I've used the sawsall and circular saw as well as the drill. I also picked up the small router. They all come in handy once in a while.

Jason Roehl
10-16-2006, 7:23 PM
Count me in the PC camp. I have the 3/8" 14.4V. As soon as the chuck gives up the ghost (it's been lingering for a while), I will replace it with a 1/2" chuck, possibly aftermarket. All told, I've probably had the drill 7+ years, and it has been used and even abused at times. I've left the case in the back of my truck during a rainstorm (the cases are not waterproof, mine is now gone due to latch failure), poured the water out and used the drill. I've dropped it from 2 stories up. Still works. I did just have the batteries rebuilt at a local Batteries Plus ($75 for both), and I did have to repair the charger this year (<$10 in parts--a cap, a transistor, and a jerry-rigged fuse assembly--and about 10 minutes of soldering). Plenty of torque, and I've never had a complaint about battery life, only when I forgot to have the second battery charged. I also have the flashlight for it, which has come in very handy at times, but does drain the battery quicker than one might think.

Christopher Stahl
10-16-2006, 8:41 PM
I have a 14.4V Bosch Impact Driver that I purchased last year that have been great, love it. I was at the Grizzly tent sale a couple weeks ago and Makita had their new 18V Lithium Ion Impact Driver there, AWESOME!!! This thing is the lightest drill I've ever used and it has a long run time. Sure enough, it came home with me.

I now have a pair of impact drivers, and they are fantastic. I also drill with them just fine. Get one and don't look back. Check out the Makita Lithium Ions, they are amazing.

Next will be the Festool brushless drill. Also a fantastic drill and you gotta love the chucks that are available.

John Renzetti
10-16-2006, 9:30 PM
hi Tom, I have the Bosch and also the Festool C12. Both are great. But the C12 with its different type chucks has bailed me out twice now in the last couple of months. I highly recommend it. Plenty of power and great balance.
take care,
John

Tim Morton
10-16-2006, 9:53 PM
I have a makita 12.2v impact driver that is great. I have a couple other makita drils that I think are too heavy for the performance they give. I just picked up a hitachi 18V as part of a kit that i think shows alot of potential. But I would look at impact drivers ...you won't be sorry.

Joe Branch
10-16-2006, 10:12 PM
I'm surprised. There are no Hitachi users responding. I'll let the secret out. The Hitachi 12DVS is more than enough drill for woodworking. Its light weight allows me to carry it on my tool belt. I do not recommend it for construction work but with the spare battery and the 2 hour recharger I'm able to use it for any chore around the house. I brought the kit, which included a adjustable head flashlight, which has more uses than I would have thought.

Larry Norton
10-16-2006, 10:24 PM
I have 5 cordless drills, including 2 Dewalt 9.6, 1 Dewalt 12V angle drill and 2 Porter Cable 12V. I absolutely love the PC's. I bought one, then Homey was getting rid of the PC's including the batteries, I bought 2 batteries for $29 each, then found a PC 12V bare drill on ebay and won it for $29.