PDA

View Full Version : How to Assemble

Teresa Jones
10-20-2003, 3:31 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am working on a chest of drawers for my Mom and want it to special.

Using solid mahogany, except for the sides. The side pieces are 36 inches high and 15 inches wide. Then, out of solid wood, I have an 'apron' on which the side will sit, if you will.

I am not sure how to fasten these two parts together.

I have attached a picture, I think!! The 'apron' is labeled part H.

Thanks for your help,

TJ

Jim Becker
10-20-2003, 3:55 PM
TJ, the "real" answer depends upon whether or not the aprons will be flush with the sides or not. If they are flush and you don't plan on any form of molding to hide the joint line, then they would normally be made as part of the side pieces. If they are going to stand proud, like a base molding, than you can mount them easily using by using glue blocks on the underside of the cabinet. Glue and screws from the inside will do the job...paying attention to wood movement is necessary if the aprons are made of solid stock and oriented cross grain to the casework. Capping the apron in this scenario with a small detail molding will hide the joint and add interest or alternatively, you can overlap the apron with the casework to do the same.

These are merely speculations...knowing a little more about how you want things to look will help us zero in on the way or ways to accomplish what you need.

Jerry Todd
10-20-2003, 3:58 PM
You didn't state the thickness of the sides but if they are thick enough you might try a loose tenon joint. I have included a web site for you to look at.
http://www.beadlock.com/aboutbeadlocklink.html
Jerry

Glenn Clabo
10-20-2003, 4:29 PM
TJ,
Does this help? If not keep asking...

Richard Allen
10-20-2003, 4:51 PM
Hi Teresa

Gravity is the primary means of holding the "apron" to the rest of the piece. So in that reguard you need to attach the "apron" in such a way that gravity can do it's work. You also need to be able to move the piece around a bit, so there needs to be some sort of mechanical conection. Screws can do that. On the pieces of the apron which have the grain running in the same diection you can firmly attach the "apron" with screws and glue. For places where the "apron" grain is running oposite to the piece you should firmly attach it at the front and losely attach it at the back.

http://members.cox.net/gyniahouse/Apron.gif

Naturaly the gravity support pieces only need to be where the "apron" reaches the floor, the corners.

If you plan on the "apron" sitting flush with the cabinet so that the "apron" is the gravity support piece then you should still use the glue block to help keep the "apron" with the cabinet when moving it arround. You should also consider a detail where the "apron" meets the cabinet. That detail can be a small piece of half round to form a bead over the joint. Or you could cut a grove at the joint. The point bing that the joint will show, so you should feature the joitn rather than trying to hide it.

Naturaly there are a lot of was to attach an "apron". What I have outlined is one way that may not work for your application.

Thanks

Teresa Jones
10-20-2003, 5:22 PM
Thank you very much, everyone.

Jim - originally, my design called for the sides and apron being flush. I suspect because I didn't really know any better. I like the idea of using some sort of trim around the base to hide the seams. Some of the examples given by Glenn and Richard may work well for this project.

Glenn - I LOVE pictures! Those examples certainly help me understand my options better. So much to learn!

Richard - again, the pictures really help my feable mind understand things better. In your drawing, how is part A attached to part B? Are parts B and C at the indivdual corner's only?

Jerry - I thought about a tenon, but since the sides are plywood I am a little hesitant.

You guys are a great help! Thanks for you patience too!

TJ

Steve Jenkins
10-20-2003, 5:52 PM
Hey TJ glad to see you're posting. When are you coming by? I hope you will at least come to the bbq sat. the 25th.You know you are welcome to stop by any time you want. Steve

Teresa Jones
10-20-2003, 6:12 PM
Steve,

I sent you an email a while back to let you know I was planning on the BBQ. What can I help with other than a side dish? I am definitely planning on attending and bringing some groceries!

I sent the note to your sbcglobal email. Anyway, as you can see, I may need some 'technical' help which I will gladly trade for some manual labor at your shop!!

Please let me know what I can do to help with the festivities.

I have a pretty busy schedule Friday afternoon, but I can help Friday morning or bring anything you need that I can drum up!!

Thanks again for hosting - I am really looking forward to visiting your shop and meeting some more of the fine folks that hang out here!

See you soon,

TJ

Richard Allen
10-20-2003, 7:55 PM
Hi Teresa

The "A" piece is the part you see and it wraps the front and the two sides.

The "B" piece exist behind the "A" pieces at the corners only. "B" is attached to "A" with screws and glue.

The "C" piece only exist where the "B" pieces exist, at the corners. "C" is attached to "B" with screws and glue.

"C" is attached to the cabinet with screws and glue at the front corners and with screws only at the back corners. The holes in the back corners of the "C" pieces are slots which will allow for wood movement.

http://members.cox.net/gyniahouse/apron2.GIF

Thanks

Teresa Jones
10-21-2003, 11:52 AM
Richard,

Wow, thank you for taking the time to put together your response to my questions. I don't think I'll have any problem putting it all together now.

I just marvel that someone who does not even know me would take the time to provide such a detailed response.

Best regards,

TJ