PDA

View Full Version : Lathe problem

Mario Lucchesi
10-16-2006, 8:40 AM
I recently purchased a used 15" craftsamn professional lathe from a pawn shop and shortly after it blew the running capacitor. I replaced it and now it blows fuses. It also sounds like an old lionel train set of my youth. I am not sure what to do? should I call sears? find someone local or tear it apart and and try to fix it myself. I have not done this type of work since my Airforce days.

My two kids are very anxious to get it working as they want to make pens and other Christmas gifts.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-16-2006, 9:16 AM
Which lathe exactly, a model number would help.

I think someone else had a problem with a capacitor on a lathe, but I don't think it was a Sears lathe......

I think a number of guys have sears lathes, so I hope they chime in and help you out.

Cheers!

Bernie Weishapl
10-16-2006, 10:15 AM
I have the newer Sears lathe that had a bad start and run capacitor. If you happen to get the leads on backwards it could blow fuses but I would take it to someone or a sears service center to make sure. Don't want the capacitor blowing up in your face. Also could be a short in the motor and if you are electricly inclined I would again take it to a service center.