PDA

View Full Version : Router Bit Storage

Matt Meiser
10-15-2006, 9:29 PM
This project will easily be the WORST woodworking project ever posted on SMC, but I'm still proud of it. Since Mark Riegsecker was coming to pick up my router table today, I needed storage for my router bits. I have a couple of old cabinets that my dad got from his dad who made them, probably in the 30's or 40's. They are very simple, nailed together with a hook to fasten the door closed. My grandfather died when I was 1 so I don't remember him, but I've always known that he made these. My brother had them in his apartment for a while and used them to store spices and such in his kitchen, but his wife didn't appreciate them the way he did (at least for that use), so I ended with them in my shop. Today I turned one of them into a router bit cabinet. The woodworking I did was simply to cut some MDF to fit the slots where some old wood cream chees trays used to sit (they are on a display shelf in my shop office for safe-keeping.) I drilled holes most of the way through the MDF to hold the bits.

David Rose
10-15-2006, 9:46 PM
Okkkk, so what makes this the worst project ever? Guess I missed it Matt. I've got a couple of old Gerstner <sp?> tool boxes that I inherited when an old friend died. They aren't in the greatest shape, but they help me remember the old guy... who was fuuuuuuussy! But he helped mold some of my early machining days with that fussiness. I really don't have a thing from either of my grandfathers. I certainly wish that I did. Things like that are treasures to me. Maybe I'm just getting old(ER). :eek: :rolleyes: Enjoy the old cabinets.

I plan to (someday) build a coffee table for our main entry room. I plan for a clear top of some sort. It will house old square nails taken from my great grandmother's house, a set of ice tongs my grandfather used in his first business, and old rusty dug up souvenirs from my great grandfather's 1900 home place on the other side of the family. I wish that I could find bushings for my Dad's (older than me, or dirt the daughter says) Stanley router that was my first. I may try to turn some some day.

David

This project will easily be the WORST woodworking project ever posted on SMC, but I'm still proud of it. Since Mark Riegsecker was coming to pick up my router table today, I needed storage for my router bits. I have a couple of old cabinets that my dad got from his dad who made them, probably in the 30's or 40's. They are very simple, nailed together with a hook to fasten the door closed. My grandfather died when I was 1 so I don't remember him, but I've always known that he made these. My brother had them in his apartment for a while and used them to stork spices and such in his kitchen, but his wife didn't appreciate them the way he did (at least for that use), so I ended with them in my shop. Today I turned one of them into a router bit cabinet. The woodworking I did was simply to cut some MDF to fit the slots where some old wood cream chees trays used to sit (they are on a display shelf in my shop office for safe-keeping.) I drilled holes most of the way through the MDF to hold the bits.

glenn bradley
10-15-2006, 11:57 PM
I think they're one of the greatest projects ever! I have and treasure items passed down to me from my grandfather. I would think you'd smile everytime you reached for a bit knowing that your grandpa used to open up the same door to get at whatever he kept in them way back when.

Greg Peterson
10-16-2006, 12:11 AM
I think it has a great charm about it. No need to apologize. Great idea, great execution.

Matt Meiser
10-16-2006, 7:29 AM
Okkkk, so what makes this the worst project ever? Guess I missed it Matt.

I just meant from the woodworking point of view.

scott spencer
10-16-2006, 7:34 AM
That's great bit storage Matt! Wish I had an empty wall available! :D

Jim Becker
10-16-2006, 9:09 AM
A perfect adaptation, Matt...and a great way to keep them in the family and in-use!!

Corey Hallagan
10-16-2006, 5:50 PM
They look good to me Matt!

Corey

David Rose
10-16-2006, 8:55 PM
Yeah, we knew what you meant. :)

David

I just meant from the woodworking point of view.

Ken Garlock
10-16-2006, 9:02 PM
Matt, the question you have to ask yourself is: does it meet or exceed the customer's expectation? Obviously it does or you wouldn't be using it. Meeting or exceeding your expectations by definition makes it a quality product. Enjoy your quality router bit cabinet.