PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Wish List

Julie Wright
10-20-2003, 2:05 PM
:D Well, my dad has sent me his christmas wish list. He sent me 4 pages of duck calls, not just a plain ole duck call a acrylic duck call.
Does anyone know where I can buy duck call turning kits? Is acrylic difficult to turn? I have made a few pens and a couple of bowls, so I have a very limited bit of experience. But I think the duck call would make him very Happy. :D :D He deserves it, he is the BEST DAD in the WORLD.. :D He bought me my first lathe tool, a Robert Sorby 3/4" bowl gouge. Now, if I wasn't so afraid to use it.. :eek:

So, anyway how about those duck call kits... sorry to ramble !! :D
Thanks
Julie

Lee Schierer
10-20-2003, 3:31 PM
Julie I did a Google search for "Duck Call Kit" and found quite a few sources. Looks like several of them will supply parts for calls. How well any of them work is anyone's guess.

My dad made a couple of wooden turkey box calls that he copied from store bought ones. They have worked on more than one bird so far.

Lee

Martin Shupe
10-20-2003, 3:53 PM
Hut Products
4502 HWY J
Fulton, MO 65251

www.hutproducts.com

1-800-547-5461

No affilliation, I just get their catalog (along with many others).

Let me know how it "turns" out. I have been thinking about making one myself.

Mark Hulette
10-20-2003, 5:36 PM
Try here (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/frames/frameset_projects.html/)

That's the "Projects" page and then click on "Game Calls". From my understanding, these are just like a pen kit (between centers, on a mandrel, bushings,etc.) so you shouldn't have any problems.

No affliliation w/ Woodturner's Catalog, just a very satisfied customer. Good luck and post pictures!

Terre Hooks
10-20-2003, 7:08 PM
There is an exoctic that you do not want to make one out of, but the name won't come to me right now. This exotic is toxic, and you sure don't want him to put it near his mouth.

If no one else can come up with it, I'll get the info in a day or so.

Glenn Clabo
10-20-2003, 7:44 PM
From a musical instrument website...which blew me away. I think it's very much overkill...but who am I. All I was thinking was Cocobolo.

Kevin?

Afromosia: irritant/eye & skin, respiratory/great/dust/rare Alder: irritant/eye & skin, respiratory Angelico: irritant/eye & skin, respiratory/great/dust Arborvitae: irritant/respiratory Ash: irritant/respiratory Baldcypress: sensitizer/respiratory/small/dust/rare Balsam fir: sensitizer/eye & skin/small/dust/rare Beech: sensitizer/respiratory/great/dust/rare Birch: sensitizer/respiratory, nausea/great/dust, wood/rare Black locust: irritant/nausea/great/rare Blackwood: sensitizer/eye & skin/great/dust, wood/common Boxwood: sensitizer/respiratory/small/dust, wood/rare Cashew: sensitizer/eye & skin/great/dust, wood/rare Chechem: irritant/respiratory, eye & skin/great/dust, wood/unknown Cocobolo: irritant/respiratory, eye & skin/great/dust, wood/common Dahoma: sensitizer/respiratory/great/dust/common Ebony: irritant, sensitizer/respiratory, eye & skin/great/dust, wood/common Elm: sensitizer/eye & skin/small/dust/rare Fir: irritant/eye & skin/small/rare Goncolo alves: sensitizer/eye & skin/small/dust, wood/rare Greenheart: sensitizer/respiratory, eye & skin/extreme/dust, wood/common Guarea: sensitizer/eye & skin/extreme/dust/rare Hemlock: nasal cancer/great/dust/rare Ipe: irritant/respiratory, eye & skin Iroko: irritant/respiratory, eye & skin/extreme/dust, wood/common Katon: irritant/respiratory Kingwood: irritant/eye & skin Mahogany, American: sensitizer/respiratory, eye & skin/small/dust/rare Mahogany, African: sensitizer/respiratory/great/dust/rare Makore: irritant/respiratory, eye & skin Mansonia: irritant/respiratory, eye & skin/extreme/dust, wood/common Manzinilla: irritant/respiratory/dust/rare Maple: sensitizer/respiratory/great/dust, wood/rare Mimosa: irritant/nasal/extreme/dust, wood/common Myrtle: sensitizer/respiratory/great/dust, wood/common Oak, red: nasal/great/dust/rare Obeche: sensitizer/respiratory, eye & skin/great/dust/common Olivewood: sensitizer/respiratory, eye & skin/great/dust, wood/common Opepe: sensitizer/respiratory/small/dust/rare Orangewood: respiratory/rare Padauk: irritant/respiratory, eye & skin, nausea/extreme/dust, wood/common Pau ferro: sensitizer/eye & skin/small/dust, wood/rare Peroba rose: sensitizer/respiratory/great/dust, wood/common Peroba white: sensitizer/respiratory, eye & skin Purpleheart: sensitizer/eye & skin, nausea/small/dust, wood/rare Quebracho: nasal cancer/great/dust/rare Ramin: irritant/respiratory, eye & skin/small/dust/rare Redwood: sensitizer/respiratory, nasal cancer/small/dust/rare Rosewood(s): irritant, sensitizer/respiratory, eye & skin/extreme/dust, wood/common Satinwood: irritant/respiratory, eye & skin/extreme/dust, wood/common Sassafras: sensitizer/respiratory, nausea, nasal cancer/small/dust, wood/rare Sequoia: irritant/respiratory, nasal cancer/small/dust, wood/rare Snakewood: irritant/respiratory/great/dust, wood/rare Spruce: sensitizer/respiratory/small/dust, wood/rare Stavewood: irritant/respiratory Sucupira: irritant/respiratory Teak: sensitizer/eye & skin/extreme/dust/common Walnut, black: sensitizer/eye & skin/great/leaves & bark/unknown Wenge: sensitizer/respiratory, eye & skin/great/dust/common Willow: sensitizer/nasal cancer/great/dust/unknown W. redcedar: sensitizer/respiratory, nasal cancer/great/dust/common Yew, Europe: irritant/eye & skin/great/dust/common Zebrawood: sensitizer/eye & skin/great/dust/rare

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-20-2003, 8:07 PM
Glenn, that is some impressive list you found there. It is true, that mostly all wood CAN cause some sort of reaction to anyone that may be sensitive to that particular species of wood. However, the same holds true for almost anything found in nature. For instance, I can ROLL in rag weed and not even so much as get a sniffle. Then again, I can look at a photo of Poison Oak, and the next morning, I will have it! :D It all depends on an individual's sensitivity and tolerance to certain substances. Ever heard of Elm Poisoning? Me neither, until I cut one down about 5 years ago. The wind was howling, I was sweating (Even in the middle of December) and the sawdust was all over my face, stuck to the sweat. The next morning, my eyes were swelled shut, and my face was swollen. Yep, the diagnosis........Elm Poisoning. It was gone in about 3 days..........weirdest thing I ever saw. I have cut many Elms before and since, and never had the problem again. The Bottom Line is that personally, I would not use any Exotic wood for use near or on the mouth, unless it was approved by someone who is in the know on such things. There is no telling what contaminants are lurking in many Exotic Species, or where they have been, how they are handled, etc. I would think for the Exotic Look, you could dye or stain a domestic hardwood to almost any color you would like? I have no idea of different Tonal Qualities produced by different wood either. The best thing to do would be contact a large Call Maker and see if they could shed some light on this subject. Very interesting topic............I think I will do some digging on this one myself, now I am curious. I will report what I find. Just another one of those........"Never thought about this one" things! :)

Ken Salisbury
10-20-2003, 9:03 PM
Julie,

Hut Products has what you want. Here is a link to the Duck Call page on their web site:
http://www.hutproducts.com/duck.html

Howard Barlow
10-20-2003, 9:13 PM
I can't help you with that, but...

Shopping in Moscow, a couple of trips back, I saw a real nice duck call. As I picked it up for a closer look, I noticed, "Made in Lake Charles, La.", on the box.

I had to travel half way around the world to find a product made one hour east of home.

Oh well, that's all I've got on this issue. :rolleyes: