PDA

View Full Version : Double Double Dovetails on the Jointech

Brian Knodel
10-15-2006, 7:21 PM
Which set of instructions do you follow to make the DDDovetails as shown on the cover of the instruction book?

The double dovetails instructions on page 18 show half blind and through in each case only one board has the inlay.

I’m miffed

Brian

Brian Knodel
10-16-2006, 9:40 PM
Would a photo help? This is the joint I'm trying learn.

Brian
http://www3.telus.net/wood/dddovtail.jpg

Sam Chambers
10-17-2006, 12:09 AM
Brian, I believe that joint is not a traditional dovetail, but a corner post with half blind dovetails let into it from each side.

Call the folks at Jointech, and I'm sure they can give you the help you need.

Brian Knodel
10-17-2006, 10:47 AM
Thanks Sam, I'll fire off the questions this morning. I did find a wee bit of info at Woodshopdemos.com

Brian

William Parks
10-17-2006, 2:41 PM
Brian, would you be so kind as to post what Jointech told youabout making this dovetail. I think I know the answer but would be interested in their reply.

Thanks.

Brian Knodel
10-17-2006, 11:49 PM
I will … But I would be interested in knowing what you already know. I received no emails from Jointech today but will keep you informed.

Brian

Chuck Nickerson
10-18-2006, 1:27 PM
and all vendors who attend the shows respond slower to emails during show season.

Sam Chambers
10-18-2006, 6:15 PM
Brian, given what Chuck just said, you might be better off calling them instead of e-mailing.

Doug Shepard
10-18-2006, 6:23 PM
I'll see if I can find my Incra manual. It's got the same type of joints in it. I looked at them briefly but have never made them. IIRC they just did a regular through DT with a short piece of the contrasting wood (the "inlay")then cut/plane off the excess after the glue dries. Then put smaller through DT's into that for the true side pieces. If I find the manual and see it's any different than that I'll repost.

Brian Knodel
10-19-2006, 4:18 PM
Brian, would you be so kind as to post what Jointech told youabout making this dovetail. I think I know the answer but would be interested in their reply.

Thanks.
I receved this email from Jointech today ... hopefully more information to follow:

The joint was actually first designed by a guy named Perry McDaniel. He wrote an Incra project book about ten years ago and incorporated the Eagle Post joint into one of his jewelry boxes.

We do not have any written instructions on making this joint, which uses template #17, however, I will see what I can come up with and get them to you.

Doug Shepard
10-19-2006, 6:48 PM
I've been looking for that Incra project book since last night. I thought the DDDTs were in the the regular Incra Reference guide. Nope. It stops at the DD Box Joints. Looking at those had me thinking I had most of it figured out, but looking back at your pic left me scratching my head. At least I know now that the other Incra book search wont be in vain. I'll let you know as soon as I find it.

William Parks
10-19-2006, 8:28 PM
be interested in knowing what you already know

I'm not saying I know for certain, just have a suspicion. I think it's made up of two pieces. The corner post is made from the same lamination as the box sides and dovetailed. The different colored piece is an offset lamination and dovetailed into the corner post, then sawed off with say 1/16" or 1/8" exposure. The piece is dovetailed again leaving a thin band of dovetail. I hope this makes sense. However as Dennis Miller use to say "of course I could be all wrong".

Doug Shepard
10-19-2006, 8:51 PM
OK - I finally found the project book in my Hiroshima filing system. It's more or less what I first posted and if I understand what William is saying, I think he's got it essentially correct. I think I'd totally fail though at trying to coherently describe all the steps. I probably wont get to this until Saturday but I'm going to scan some pages and attach them. I'd do it tonight but I need to sit down and reinstall the scanner drivers and software first.

Doug Shepard
10-21-2006, 11:35 AM
Brian
If you want them, I've got the pages scanned now. But they're too big to attach. I'll have to email them to you and SMC says you have emails disabled in your profile. PM me your email address if you want them.

Brian Knodel
10-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Doug, thanks for taking the time and yes I would like to see the material you have scanned. I’ve sent you a PM with my email address.

Thanks

Brian

Doug Shepard
10-21-2006, 2:30 PM
I just emailed them (4 pages). Sorry the quality isn't a bit better. I had to use the Sharpen feature in the pic editor rather heavily and that was largely responsible for the large file sizes. Shrinking the pic size made the text unreadable. The biggest is 1 MB. I'm actually relieved I was able to scan at all. My scanner is one of those multifunction gizmos that I was actually paid $0.01 to take home after all the rebates when I bought my laptop. It had been working fine, but 2 Hours of messing with re-installing all the software and I still cant get the print portion to work - just blank pages - but the scanner at least works again.

I forgot to add this. Here's the book they're from that would probably be worthwhile even though it's specific to the Incra. A lot of things referred to in the pages I sent come from earlier chapters in the book.
http://www.incra.biz/Products/ProjectBook.html

Brian Knodel
10-21-2006, 4:42 PM
Thanks Doug, the email came through just fine. I think I’ll order that book because if I remember correctly the templates are interchangeable between Jointech and Incra (can any one verify this?) I just noticed that the joint may also be called the corner post eagle tail. Still it’s strange that the same joint is shown on the cover of the Jointech instruction book but makes no mention of the joint.

Brian