PDA

View Full Version : New lathe

Jeremy Freeman
10-15-2006, 6:39 PM
I got a new toy today. I know that it is not the best lathe on the market, but I think I got a good deal. This is my first full size lathe. I purchased it at an estate auction today for $200 even. The gentleman had bought it new, put it together, and then never mounted a single piece of wood on it. There is not as much as a scuff on the tool rests. Let me know what you think and if anyone has one of these let me know what kind of performance I can expect from it. It is a Craftsman 2hp, varible speed, 38" between centers, 15" inboard, 20" outboard, and included the stand as well. The pic is not the best as it was taken with my cell phone before I disassembled the lathe.

Keith Burns
10-15-2006, 7:13 PM
First, welcome to the "Money Pit":D Looks like a good deal to me. There are several turners here that have that lathe and I'm sure they will chime in. In the meantime, mount a block of wood and get busy !:)

Von Bickley
10-15-2006, 7:23 PM
Jeremy,

Welcome to the Creek and it looks like you got a good deal on that lathe.

Don Baer
10-15-2006, 7:27 PM
Great gloat and welcome to the abysse. Say good by to your flat work and also you wallet.

Corey Hallagan
10-15-2006, 7:30 PM
Congrats on the new lathe! Enjoy it!

Corey

CORY FETZER
10-15-2006, 9:33 PM
congrats on your new toy have fun and the lathe is just the start of what you will be buying

Bernie Weishapl
10-15-2006, 9:36 PM
Welcome Jeremy. I think that is a older lathe of the one I have. I also believe that may be the same one John Hart has and he has made some awful fancy and nice stuff on that lathe. It is a nice turning lathe and for $200 you did good. Now it is your turn to get it dirty.

Curt Fuller
10-15-2006, 11:20 PM
Heck of good deal on a nice lathe Jeremy. Welcome to the abyss.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-16-2006, 3:13 AM
Welcome Jeremy!

$200, yeah, that was a good deal.

One thing I would do for sure, once you place you lathe and are ready to go is to box in that stand it is on, (you did get the stand with the lathe, right?) and then on the bottom shelf put 3 or 4 bags of sand. You might have to beef up the bottom shelf a bit, some extra runners under the self etc, but with some serious weight on a stiffened up stand, your lathe will run a heck of a whole lot smoother.

Is that a lathe with the Reeves drive? I think you might want to buy yourself a spare belt or two, and I think that someone (was it you Bernie?) found getting the belts from the maker of the lahte, NOT Sears was the way to go.

All in all, welcome again, to the money pit and get ready to have some serious fun :D

Cheers!

PS the pic is just fine, we just need some more of them! :cool:

Bill Boehme
10-16-2006, 4:20 AM
I would say that you did well for $200. However, don't ever believe Sear's when it comes to stating horsepower. The motor on this lathe is a DC universal type with an SCR speed control and you can expect perhaps 1/2 HP maximum out of the motor. This puts it in the same ballpark with the VS Jet mini on power, but on the other hand, it has a larger swing and longer distance between centers. It is primarily a spindle lathe, but you will be able to turn bowls as long as you don't get aggressive on your cuts.

Bill

Ernie Nyvall
10-16-2006, 4:29 PM
Welcome Jeremy, and oh yea, that was a good deal.

John Miliunas
10-16-2006, 5:39 PM
Glad to have you at the Creek, Jeremy! :) But, as stated already, be prepared to dig a bit deeper into the old pockets! :D Be lookin' for your first "bonker" real soon here! :)