PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0586 G0490 Jointers - Actual Blade/Cut Width

Ken Lousignont
10-15-2006, 4:57 PM
I've noticed the blades on my 6" jointer are actually 6 1/8" long/wide. If I "stagger" the blade positions I can almost get a 6 1/4" cut width.

In any case, I need to cut/joint stock approx. 8 1/8" - 8 1/4" wide for use in acoustic guitar backs. I was hoping I could get by with an 8" jointer if I can squeeze in that extra 1/8" - 1/4" cut width by possibly staggering the blades. Anyone know if the blades on the Grizzly G0586 G0490 jointers are exactly 8" long/wide and whether there's any room to adjust the blades in a somewhat "staggered" position to allow a slightly wider cut. I realize I'll lose some cut quality at the outer edges, but I'm more concerned about getting my stock straight and level for resawing purposes than any concern about a nice finish.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help and input!

Cody Colston
10-15-2006, 7:31 PM
The blades on my GO586 are 8 1/16" long (I just measured) and yes, they could be staggered a bit as the table is slightly wider than the blades.

Allen Bookout
10-15-2006, 9:06 PM
My GO490 blades are 8 1/16" the same as Cody reported for the GO586. My tables are 7 15/16" wide but with the blades staggered I do not see why you could not go a little wider than the tables. Looks like you my be pushing it a little bit to go 8 1/4" but I have never tried.

Ken Lousignont
10-16-2006, 12:18 AM
Cody, Allen,

Thanks for the info! Well, I've got a tough decision to make. Cross my fingers and try to squeeze a 8 1/8" cut out of a 8" jointer or spend double the money and get a 10" jointer :(

Thanks again!

Lars Thomas
10-16-2006, 9:58 AM
Obviously a bigger jointer is great. I'd be the last person to talk you out of spending more money on tools. But don't feel constrained by the 8" capacity on your project. If a little hangs over, it can quickly be cleaned up with a plane. I had this 'problem' yesterday - 4 or 5 swipes with the plane and it was resolved.

Here's a review of my G0490 I purchased recently - it might help you reach a decision. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40833

Jay Knoll
10-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Ken

Do you own a planer? Then you can go wider than 8" without fussing around with the blade alignment.

It is a bit tricky and it requires you to take the guard off the jointer (fit a temporary guard over the blades that you can pass your wood under)

Face joint one side of the wood -- essentially you are creating a large rabbet the width of your jointer on the board. When you have that flat, then take it to the planer. Make a MDF sled that fits into the rabbet you created. This gives you a completely flat reference surface to pass through the planer.

Plane the unjointed face smooth -- it should be parallel with the rabbeted portion that you are running through on the MDF sled.

Flip the board over, plane off the portion that wasn't rabbeted. You should now have a flat board with equal thickness along its entire length.

Good luck!

PS I bought the GO490 thinking I wouldn't have to use this trick since I upgraded from a 6" jointer (beater that I had purchased in a garage sale) Sure enough, the first project I did I needed to flatten something that was more than 8" wide

Of course, you could do this all by hand with a plane, but I'm not that good!

Jay

Lars Thomas
10-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Jay, that's a good tip - I never thought of that.