PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking at the Tormek

Ken Shoemaker
10-15-2006, 4:07 PM
Gals and gals,
I'm looking at a tormek to sharpen, 13" planer blades, 6" jointer blades, hand plane blades, and hand chisles.... Now the question: is it possible to flatten the back of the chisle using the Tormek or do I need to do that on a scary sharp, or wet stones then the bevel on he Tormek????

Also, has anyone gotten the "cabinet makers" deal from Sharp tools??? I'm wondering if that will do the trick for what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Ken

Travis Porter
10-15-2006, 4:38 PM
I bought the cabinet makers package. It did not come with the jig to do planer and jointer knives. That is a little over a $100 extra. The overall package has a bunch of stuff that I won't use, for example, axe grinding jig. I have the jig to sharpen joiner and planer knives, and I have used it once, but didn't do too well as I didn't true the stone before starting. I neglected to RTFM (Read the Fine Manual) before beginnning.

You can flatten backs of chisels and on the side of the stone.

Overall, it is an EXPENSIVE package, but I will say it does a fine job.

Ken Shoemaker
10-15-2006, 4:41 PM
Of course, being new at woodworking, and the quality of work I'm capable of at this point, the axe jig might be useful....:rolleyes:

Jesse Cloud
10-15-2006, 4:48 PM
I've had mine for several years now, still very happy with it. I agree with Travis about flattening the backs on the side of the stone - works very fast, though I usually touch it up at the end on a waterstone.

I've been thinking about the planer/jointer jig, but its pricey. My local sharpener does those for fifty cents an inch, so that's 200 inches of knives just to break even, not counting my time.

I'm not sure the packages are worth it, probably wind up with some stuff you don't need. Now that Jet has come out with a knock-off, I'm hoping that Tormek will drop some prices... So, wait and see might be a good idea. I haven't tried it myself, but I know a guy who makes his own jigs, not rocket science, just plan a holder and drill two holes for the Tormek rod...

Unfortunately, SWMBO, found out about the Tormek, so I spend a lot of time sharpening kitchen knives, pruning shears, and scissors -- so keep it quiet for your own good.:rolleyes:

Ken Shoemaker
10-15-2006, 4:51 PM
Travis, Please check the Cabinet Maker's Package again. I just looked at the Sharp Tools web site and it list a jig for planer and jointer knives as well as the chisels.

Give it a glance, I wonder if they stll owe you something.

Maybe Mr. Farris can shed light on this subject????

Travis Porter
10-15-2006, 5:40 PM
It appears I lied:confused: . I got the hand tools master package. Sorry about that.

The one you are looking at doesn't have a lot of the custom jigs (scissors, knives, skew chisels, angled chisels, etc). It also doesn't have the axe jig;).
If I were to do it over again, that is probably what I would get. I would add the dust cover, not add the DVD (as long as the VHS tape comes with it), and add other accessories as you need them.

Travis Porter
10-15-2006, 5:41 PM
It does do a very good job on knives. I do them freehand mostly. I have yet to try scissors.

Ken, if you haven't done it, watch the online videos they have. They are pretty accurate IMO.

Jeff Horton
10-15-2006, 6:00 PM
I have been dead set against paying this kind of money to sharpen. Scary sharp is cheap and worked good for me. Then one day I woke up and found I have 2 planers and 2 jointer's, numerous hand planes, chisels, etc. in the shop. The planer blades pushes me over the edge. I have someone that does excellent work but he is in the middle of no where. Real pain to get to him and go pick up blades so I started looking for options.

After a lot of reading I have bought a Makita knife sharpener. Not received it yet but I read excellent reviews on it for planer and jointer blades. It can also do chisels and other things. It's cheaper than the Tormek and something you might want to consider. it's been around for years and they show up used on Ebay now and then too.

CPeter James
10-15-2006, 7:03 PM
Get the Makita and the green wheel from Highland Hardware. Also download their instructions on using it. For planer and jointer blades, it is the best. I just did my 15" planer blades this week. Out, sharpen 3 blades and, and back in. Total time, less than 45 minutes. And sharper than any local service.

CPeter

Bill Boehme
10-16-2006, 4:50 AM
I have had a TORMEK for several years and it is an excellent machine. I started woodturning a couple years ago and sharpen my turning tools on it also. If you do carving, it is the only way to go.

Bill

Byron Trantham
10-16-2006, 8:35 AM
I have had my Tormek for about two years now and swear by it. I recently did my first planer knives for my 13" DeWalt. Wow is all I can say. Yes it is pricey by very flexible. I personally wouldn't buy a "package" as you will usually get something you won't use. I sharpen scissors, knives, chisels, plane blades and planer/jointer knives. To offset the investment I have spread by word of mouth that I sharpen and to date I have recovered 65% of the total investment. $5 here and $5 there, it adds up fast.

Eddie Darby
10-16-2006, 8:42 AM
If I were buying right now, I would get the Lap-Sharp by Wood Artistry.

http://www.woodartistry.com/LapSharp200MoreDetails.htm

This unit is the powered version of Scary Sharp and is perfect for doing Lapping of the backside of blades.

Lee Valley Mark II is not as good at lapping, though I would place it second. I own 2 Tormeks and am happy with them, but they do have major drawbacks. The Lee Valley Mark II does not come with a planer blade jig, and does not reverse direction, which comes in handy when you are doing knife blades. The Lap-Sharp also has a foot on/off switch so you can start it up with both hands holding the blade on the grinding surface. As if that was not enough, you can use the Lap-Sharp with water if you so desire. I find that at these slow speeds, loosing the temper of the edge is not generally a problem.

The last grit that you get on a Tormek stone is approximately 1,000x or 16 microns scratch size. Then you hone at 3 microns average size on a soft leather strop. FineWoodWorking found that this lead to the rounding over of the cutting edge, which is premature dulling . This 16 micron to 3 micron jump is too big of a jump.

I've seen the lap-Sharp demonstrated on the following web-site:
http://www.thewoodworkingchannel.com/ , when they do a tour of the Vendors at the trade shows.

Eddie Darby
10-16-2006, 9:12 AM
Found the show on the Lap-Sharp, I am actually watching it right now. Gotta Luv the internet! It is going to be repeated at 9:00 pm again, and it is the third vendor featured at about 10 minutes into Episode 10.

10/16/2006 9:00 PM Woodworking NewsWoodcraft Vendor Trade Show - Episode 10

http://www.thewoodworkingchannel.com/

Alan DuBoff
10-16-2006, 1:11 PM
If I were buying right now, I would get the Lap-Sharp by ood Artistry.

http://www.woodartistry.com/LapSharp200MoreDetails.htm
I have a Lap-Sharp, it is a fine machine and puts as close to a perfect edge I feel I'll be able to get in my shop...perfect bevels. The planer/jointer attachment is something I don't have and have been thinking if I would invest in it or send my knives out. The attachment at $250 is quite steep, but it's a complicated jig.

So far I haven't pulled the trigger, but I do love the Lap-Sharp, it's an incredible sharpening system, doubt you would be unhappy with it, at least I don't know anyone who has yet.

Dennis Peacock
10-16-2006, 6:16 PM
Yup, I have the Tormek and the planer/jointer knife setup. Works very well and sharp it will be when you're done!!!! I even did a no-no with mine. I pulled and sharpened my spiral planer knives with it and renewed the edge on them in no time flat. Man....what a difference!!!!!

Did I mention that I STILL love my Tormek, even after 4 years of use.:D

Glenn Clabo
10-16-2006, 6:26 PM
I'm an ex-machinist...and learned to sharpen from "scratch".
Well... the Tormek has pretty much changed how I sharpen. It allows me to sharpen tools/etc correctly even though sharpening happens less than a production shop requires.

Russ Massery
10-16-2006, 7:24 PM
Hey Ken, Havn't seen up here in awhile. I just bought a Tormek at the show last week. So I'm pretty new at it. Have to say it's as easy as they make it look. As far as chisels and plane irons go. Was thinking about the planer knive jig myself. I would highly recommed it.

Ken Shoemaker
10-16-2006, 8:13 PM
Russ, Glad to see you back again...

I want to thank you all... I just spoke with Mr. Farris, and found that Tormek is including a free DVD and shipping. So, I pulled the trigger on a Cabinet Makers Package.

Now I need to find a guy to sharpen my TS blade and I'm set...

Thanks again, Ken

Eddie Darby
10-17-2006, 8:36 AM
I went to the Lap-Sharp site to find the photos of the back of a plane blade, that has a mirror finish from the lapping job that was done by the Lap-Sharp, and I see that they now have QuickTime movies showing the machine working.

http://www.woodartistry.com/Products-LapSharp200.htm

Here are the photos I was searching for:

http://www.woodartistry.com/Results.htm

http://www.woodartistry.com/Assets/sequence_lg.jpg

I own 2 Tormeks, and I am very happy with them, but I could never produce the same results as these listed above, with it.