PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Oak

Matt Newton
10-15-2006, 3:53 PM
I just recently got a piece of spalted oak. It looks great, but I need some advice on how to finish it so it will stay that way and show off the spalting. I haven't made a project with it yet but I like to get all my ducks in a row before I start.

Matt Newton

Jim Becker
10-15-2006, 9:40 PM
Finish like you would any other oak...the spalting "stops" when the moisture content drops below a certain point.

Scott Thornton
10-15-2006, 10:13 PM
So if you have spalted wood, it will remain spalted forever? I just bought some, I was thinking some type of clear coat etc, so the spalted look doesn't go away.

Jim Becker
10-16-2006, 9:18 AM
Spalting is part of the decay process and is caused by fungus "consuming" the wood. It's permanent. BTW, be sure you use a good dust mask when you are working with and sanding this material. My understanding is that moisture can re-activate the fungus...and your lungs are a very moist place... ;)

Matt Newton
10-16-2006, 4:05 PM
Thanks for the info. So how long can this piece stay unused? Will the decay continue or since the board is kiln dried has it stopped?

Dennis Peacock
10-16-2006, 6:28 PM
Matt,

I have a piece of spalted maple in my shop and has been that way for at least 4 years now. I really need to do something with it. :rolleyes:
You should be fine with waiting for a bit. The key thing is making sure the wood is dry enough to stop the spalting process.

Dave Right
10-26-2006, 4:32 PM
Take another look at the wood. I dont think oak spalts, only maple and a couple of other woods. Be prepared for the wood to soak up any finish you use like a sponge. I put a spalted piece in the center on top of a couple of boxes for the "center piece" and used poly gloss. The look was outstanding!

Jim Becker
10-26-2006, 8:57 PM
Dave, almost any species will spalt given the right conditions and spore exposure...it's a decomposition process. I have some spalted oak in my shop...somewhere.

Ryan Sparreboom
06-17-2010, 1:13 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I came across it via search.
For the record, Jim is correct. I just came across a very nice piece of spalted black walnut. I also have a large board of spalted zebrawood.
Maple is the most common wood, but given the right conditions, any wood can spalt.

Ryan