PDA

View Full Version : Friday the 13th

Laurie Brown
10-15-2006, 2:55 PM
Some of you who've been watching my webcam may know that I've been working on building my very first real wood cabinet for my kitchen over the last few weeks (Yes, I know, weeks is a long time to build one cabinet, but it's my first and I like to work slow to try to avoid mistakes).

Well, Friday the 13th hit me with a bang. I didn't even realize it was the 13th until later.

Lesson for the day: When mounting hinges in wooden doors, always drill a pilot hole for the screws first. I didn't on the first door, and cracked the solid oak stile. Ouch! Luckily, the crack didn't go all the way through, so was only visible on the inside of the stile. I packed the crack with glue, clamped it up overnight, and hopefully at least the crack won't get any worse.

I also managed, while using my air gun to drive a few brads into the face frame to hold it while the glue sets, to drive one nail just a bit too close to the inside edge of the cabinet side and it was sticking out of the wall of the cabinet on the inside. I tried unsuccessfully to drive it back out with a hammer, and finally just took some needlenose pliers and broke the end off that was sticking out. You really can't notice it was there now.

Overall, probably my nicest-looking project to date, and all done except for the shelves. I need to go get some more wood to make two shelves from, probably use baltic birch plywood and edge band it with oak. It was a good learning experience, so now I know what to do and what NOT to do when making more cabinets (I plan to make three more for the kitchen where this one is going, and maybe a couple for the bathrooms).

I don't have any pics of the cabinet, but you can see it on the webcam if you want to look. Thanks to those who gave me hinge number suggestions for this cabinet, I went with three hinges per door, and I think it came out great.

http://www.psibertronics.com/webcam/pic/pic2/KitchenCam/webcam.html

Scott Donley
10-15-2006, 3:02 PM
Looks good laurie, if those were your only "opps" on your first cabinet, you did real good :D I think your next project should be a larger desk ;)

Jim O'Dell
10-15-2006, 3:02 PM
Been there, done that. Unfortuanately will probably do it again! :o Luckily this lesson was an easy one. They can get worse if we're not careful. Jim.

Laurie Brown
10-15-2006, 3:09 PM
Looks good laurie, if those were your only "opps" on your first cabinet, you did real good :D I think your next project should be a larger desk ;)

LOL! My desk is plenty big enough, I just need to clean it. But, that would take time away from being in the shop... ;)

Laurie Brown
10-15-2006, 3:10 PM
Been there, done that. Unfortuanately will probably do it again! :o Luckily this lesson was an easy one. They can get worse if we're not careful. Jim.

That's why I like to work very slow. I'm still learning, every project I learn new things, and I much prefer to take my time than to rush. Every time I rush, that's when I make a mistake. And time is one thing I have plenty of. ;)

Mike Parzych
10-15-2006, 4:13 PM
Hey....Friday the 13th was my birthday. And I survived except for a tiny cut on my finger.