PDA

View Full Version : What is the most popular scanner?

Daryl Barberousse
10-15-2006, 2:30 PM
I purchased an HP Scanjet 5300C with PrecisionScan software earlier in the year.....worked great for converting drawings to vector. Recently my hard drive "kicked the bucket" and now I'm being told that the earlier HP's are stubborn to the new Windows XP software. Is there a new/more compatible scanner that will convert bitmap to vector while using Windows XP and CD12?

Mike Shauer
10-15-2006, 4:41 PM
Daryl, I have a 5300 and a 5470c both work fine with XP and precisionscan software. I use the 5470 more because its in the office in my home, I transfer with one of the small memory card things to the shop machine with no problems. Cheers

Daryl Barberousse
10-15-2006, 5:41 PM
That's the funny thing Mike, my 5300 worked great prior to my hard drive failing. (A good lesson for everyone here to have an external hard drive to backup graphic files on.) But with the newly installed version of XP, the USB won't even recognize the intalled scanner. (Yes, I have installed it properly.) I'm curious is anyone has had the same sort of problems. Meanwhile, I'll contact my local computer tech and get some info.

Nancy Laird
10-15-2006, 5:45 PM
We also have a 5470C by HP, and it works great. We also have two HP PSC1315xi's, both of which do good work. The great thing about the little 1315s is that they are printers (Color and BW), copiers (Color and BW), as well as scanners. The 5470 is a dedicated scanner so doesn't get quite as much use. |We are using WinXP and Corel X3.

I'd recommend the 5470 without reservation.

And yes, we have an external hard drive--in fact, ALL of our graphics files are saved on it, so if the HD blows up, we haven't lost files and art. I'm a great believer in an external hard drive, since my personal PC (in the house) went belly up last summer and I lost all my saved pictures, all my saved e-mails, and tons of other stuff that I just wanted to save. The new personal PC has an external. And we have two at work (I work for a lawyer) to save all our stuff on--it has an automatic program that backs up the entire PC hard drive onto the external every night. I swap them out daily and one lives in my car.

Nancy

George M. Perzel
10-15-2006, 6:04 PM
Also have a 5470C running with XP- no problems-great scanner.
George

Brian Chambers
10-15-2006, 8:36 PM
Daryl
I had the same problem while installing a 6250C. HP fix for this is:

Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties. The System Properties window will open.
Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager. The Device Manager window will open.
Double-click the Universal Serial Bus controller branch to expand it.
Right-click USB Root Hub, and then click Properties. The USB Root Hub Properties window will open.
Click the Power Management tab.
Make sure the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box is not checked.
Click OK, and close USB Root Hub Properties window.
Close any other open windows
This worked for me.

Brian

Daryl Barberousse
10-16-2006, 9:04 AM
Thanks Brian.....I'll give it a shot and let you know.

Daryl Barberousse
10-16-2006, 7:57 PM
Negative....no change Brian. I'm thinking of purchasing a newer scanner. Are there any on the market with the Precisionscan software?

Nancy Laird
10-16-2006, 8:01 PM
Negative....no change Brian. I'm thinking of purchasing a newer scanner. Are there any on the market with the Precisionscan software?

Daryl, the 5470C should work just fine with your set-up. We have PrecisionScan 3.1 and XP, no problems.

Nancy

Rick Maitland
10-16-2006, 8:06 PM
Daryl you should contact Roy Brewer who is a member here. He has quite a few of these vector scanners for sale.

Boyd Gathwright
10-16-2006, 10:46 PM
.... For what it's worth, we used HP scanners years ago and have switched to EPSON. So far, we've learned to respect the EPSON scanners as a better high quality scanner :).

Jeff Chumbley
10-16-2006, 11:02 PM
To my knowledge there are no scanners that offer the PrecisionScan software.

If you watch ebay and such you can find the old HP scanners with the software.

I bought an HP 5300C with the PrecisionScan software for 35 bucks plus shipping. Works like a charm

Jeff

Roy Brewer
10-17-2006, 1:20 AM
Is there a new/more compatible scanner that will convert bitmap to vector while using Windows XP and CD12?
Daryl,
Jeff is right. PrecisionScan is no longer available anywhere; that's the component that does the fantastic vectorization.

If you were not previously running XP, are you sure you have the 32bit software from HP? It is available on the HP website. However, I don't have good news for you. Several things could have happened that no one seems to know how to "undo." For instance, if you plugged either a 6200 or a 5300 into your USB port before installing the software you're dead. If you installed software for 5300 before the 6200, you're pretty sure to not get the 6200 to work. I once had a document (from HP support, while they still supported those older scanners) that told exactly what files (from several different locations) to delete to remedy this, + 2-3 Registry settings and then re installation would work.

The only surefire solution is to reformat your hard drive and start from scratch; install software first then be sure to install 6200 software before plugging in hardware. Do not try to run two different versions of PrecisionScan on the same PC--good chance neither will work again if you do.

Yes, as Rick M suggested, I have a good supply of refurbished 6200 scanners, but I suspect your scanner is not your problem.
[not be selling the inexpensively!!!!]]

Daryl Barberousse
10-17-2006, 9:29 AM
Thanks to all for the replies....I'll use this information to regroup.

Thanks again