PDA

View Full Version : Brad nailers - do you use longer 1 1/4"?

Jeff Cord
10-15-2006, 1:28 PM
Is a brad nailer that handles brads longer than 1 1/4" useful?
If so what do you use the longer brads for?

Jim Becker
10-15-2006, 1:38 PM
I have a brad gun that will shoot 2" brads. In general, I don't use anything that long with such small fasteners. What you have to consider, however, is that the 2" guns sometimes have desireable features that the "only up to", say 1 1/4" guns don't have, such as adjustable depth, etc. That was the case with my Accuset (Senco) brad gun and the primary reason I bought it over the lesser capable unit.

There have been a few times I've tried the 2" fasteners, but you have to really, really, really be careful with them "changing direction" as they enter and move through whatever you are shooting them into...flat wire brads like these tools shoot are very adept at following the grain of the wood, rather than piercing through it.

Doug Shepard
10-15-2006, 2:17 PM
Up until this past spring I didn't even own a brad nailer and was convinced I didn't need one. A tricky glue up with lots of angles that wasn't easy to clamp drove me over the edge. Now I find I use it a lot. Usually just to get things attached while glue sets. I recently had to temporarily attach something 1-1/4 thick while I drilled holes through it and into the wood behind. The 2" brads came out for the first time and it worked well for that. Afterwards the brads got removed but for a temp hold it made things quick and easy. BTW - I ended up with a DeWalt just because Lowes didn't have PC. I've never compared it to anything else, but the DW works great.

Bob Childress
10-15-2006, 2:52 PM
I, too, have found uses for longer brads. For example, I was making a quick and dirty router table stand and glued up some 2x4 to make 4x4 legs. Longer brads held the joint while the glue dried. I also sometimes use it for molding where I want to have the length of a finish nail but not the hole size. And the depth adjustment feature is nice, too.

Childress' Law: "The tool you bought because it was good enough will not be for your next project." :D :D

glenn bradley
10-15-2006, 3:22 PM
Mine will shoot 2 1/2" which I have only occasionally done. 'Don't care' face frames for shop cabinets for example. I agree with Jim on the guns that shoot longer nails having the bells and whistles but, I'm sure others here will chime in.

Tim Burke
10-15-2006, 4:49 PM
I have the Porter Cable BN200A that shoots up to 2" 18g brads. It's an excellent performer, and top rated in reviews. It easily sinks 2" brads into solid oak, even below maximum air pressure to the nailer. My first gun was a Senco which couldn't do that at any air pressure.

I shoot 2" on finish carpentry trim - for example putting up casing and base woodwork. 2" is enough to go through the drywall and land in the stud. I prefer this over 15 or 16 gauge for the nearly invisible hole it makes. I have had no issues with the woodwork not holding.

I don't use it for heavier tasks like hanging doors though. Still need larger nails for that.

As mentioned, the 18g brads can easily follow the wood grain and come out where you don't want it. As long as you are careful with your aim (and fingers!), you won't have any problems.

Tim

Bill Ryall
10-15-2006, 7:02 PM
My 18ga Bostich will shoot up to 2" brads. I prefer the 18 ga for attaching moulding, as opposed to my 15ga finish nailer because to the hole size. The 2" brads sink nicely thru the moulding and drywall, and fasten securely into the studs.

Jack Dickey
10-15-2006, 7:23 PM
I like Tim have the PC BN200A .. Bought mine cause I needed it and was all Lowe's had that I wanted .. Nice to know its a top rated gun ,as I never read any reviews on it .. I have had mine for several years and it has become indespensible .. I rarely use over 1 1/4" , but when I have had to use the longer brads , they will be buried easily ..