PDA

View Full Version : planing segmented rings

Stephen Hibbs
10-15-2006, 10:29 AM
I've been getting into segmented turnings, and was using a disk sander to sand the rings smooth on top and bottom. However, the rings are getting too big for the sander, so I was thinking I could use a planer. The rings are held together with titebond 2 using the rubbing-to-cause-suction method. Is it safe to run them through a planer, or am i likely to destroy something?

Lee DeRaud
10-15-2006, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't expect the ring to survive: at least a few of the segments will be going through "sideways" (grain running parallel to the blades). Probably won't hurt the planer, but there's always the chance of one of the fragments jamming the works somehow and/or spitting out in odd directions.

In any case I doubt the results will be very good.

Stephen Hibbs
10-15-2006, 10:58 AM
thanks, I figured that would be the issue. How do other people do this? I saw someone made that big drumsander for segmented work, but I can't do that. Any suggestions?

Bob Opsitos
10-15-2006, 12:09 PM
Prior to getting a horizintal drum sander (18"-36" Delta model), I flattened rings with a block plane. It's trial and error, but you can get pretty good results. I would usually flatten them further with sand paper on a granite plate.

I think though that as the size of the ring goes up it becomes more difficult. You might be able to step up to a larger bevel up plane and be able to do larger rings easier.

The drum sander is really the way to go though. The ease at which it flattens rings is really something.

Bob

Stuart Johnson
10-15-2006, 12:19 PM
I flatten mine on the lathe. If your glue up is reasonable they will be fairly flat to start off. If you have a chuck use the Cole jaws to hold the ring and flatten with either a bowl gouge or scraper. Once it looks flat mark it with a pencil and using a long board covered with sandpaper sand off the pencil marks double check with a straight edge. You now have one flat surface. Glue it to the prior ring or base and go through the flattening process again. It's taken just about as long to do it as it has to type this.

I would love to have a drum sander and have seen a couple used ones for sale but have not been able to bit the bullet yet. I've seen a couple photos for home made ones you use on the lathe. In effect a roller/drum is held between the head and tail stock. A box is attached to the ways and an adjustable angled board tilts up to give you the depth. The piece is then fed through against the lathe rotation. One day I'll try to make up one of these.

Richard Madison
10-16-2006, 12:20 AM
Stephen,
If you lack cole jaws for your chuck, make a Longworth Chuck to hold the rings while you turn and sand one side flat. It's handy to do two or more rings at a time, so you don't have to switch the Longworth and the workpiece on and off the lathe for every ring. A planer will NOT work. Your sanding board should be as flat as possible. Good luck.

Dennis Peacock
10-16-2006, 10:59 AM
Two things you can do: You can flatten the rings on the lathe or you can run them safely through a drum sander and sand them flat. I'll be upgrading my drum sander next year. ;)

Quinn McCarthy
10-16-2006, 11:26 AM
I have done a few sets of rings on the planer. I just glue the rings together with titebond glue to look like snowmen. I have a few snowmen and then run them through. THat way they are long enough to not have any snipe. I run them with a follower baord so there is no tear out on the back side. Then I cut the rings apart witha thin dovetail saw.