PDA

View Full Version : Problems with pressure washer.

Steve Carbone
10-15-2006, 10:10 AM
I'm having a problem with a Cam Spray electric pressure washer I got at a garage sale. Everything seems to work OK as long as the spray gun trigger is depressed and water is moving thru the pump but as soon as I let go of the trigger the motor stops, starts to hum and trips the breaker. I guess back pressure builds up and stalls the motor but I have little experience with pressure washers and pumps so I'm only guessing. Has anyone experienced this problem or know what the cause could be. Thanks.
Stephen

Bart Leetch
10-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Yes there should be some sort of bypass to circulate the water when you let off of the trigger. Most good quality p.w's only recommend that you allow the pump to run for about 5 minutes in this mode as it heats the water & pump up pretty fast. Check your owners manual to see where the bypass is & see if its plugged.

Also to everyone with a pressure washer get a filter on the in-feed side that you hook up to the faucet to keep little crap out of you machine. You never know what evil junk is just waiting to come out of your plumbing & ruin your pump. DAMHIKT but the filter is cheaper than getting the pump repaired. I've also seen this happen to several other pressure washers that belonged to other people believe me it not worth it when you can get a double stainless screened filter & fittings for around $32 & the repair costs around $165 at the cheapest.

Robert E Lee
10-16-2006, 1:29 AM
Steve, on mine there is a pressure switch that shuts the pump down when you let go of the trigger. The motor is dead unless the trigger is depressed. Don’t member what brand mine is without going to look.
Bob