PDA

View Full Version : can I turn pens

Mike Evertsen
10-20-2003, 11:26 AM
I would like to try doing some pen turning for christmas can I do it on this lathe?
there is no morse taper the threads are 5/8 (I used a tape measure)

John Miliunas
10-20-2003, 1:23 PM
Mike, I don't believe I've seen mandrels for that configuration, but if you can find a drill chuck, which would screw on to your arbor, you'd be set. :cool:

Richard Allen
10-20-2003, 2:40 PM
I think I have that same lathe (I haven't used it for ...) but I seam to recall that the spindle was 3/4 x 16tpi.

If that is the case I am sure you can get a 3/4 x 16tpi mandril for penturning. The other issue is the dead center. That will wear out the mandril fairly fast. If you can put a little piece of UHMW plastic over the end of the mandril it might last longer. Pens are usualy turned at a fairly high speed (3,000 rpm and up). I seam to recall that the top speed on my lathe was significantly slower than that. Make sure your tools are good and sharp to make up for the slower speed.

If you want to make a few pens for Christmas you could hook up with a woodturner who has all the stuff to make pens. Ask him to get you started and make the pens on his lathe. The turning sanding and finishing part of making pens takes about 10 minutes per pen. So depending on how many pens you want to make for Christmas you may only need to intrude for a couple of hours after you get the hang of it.

If you would like a list of woodturners in your area let me know.

Thanks