PDA

View Full Version : Chris's bonker.

Don Baer
10-15-2006, 12:00 AM
I told my son he needed to do a Bonker or he wouldn't be a real turner so here it is. The wood is Australian bottle tree wood and let me say this is some real punkey wood.

I'll let Chris comment on his turning

Andy Hoyt
10-15-2006, 12:06 AM
Sure looked an awful lot like a decorative middle eastern bonker that I saw go up on the Sotheby's auction block a while back. That one pulled in some substantial coin.

But now that he's modified it into the start of a chess set, I'm not so sure it will hold the same value.:D

Well done, Chris!

Chris Baer
10-15-2006, 12:35 AM
Thanks Andy now all I need is thirty more pieces and we will have a great set for the forum, Whose with me :D :o . I'll tell you what that Austalian Bottle tree is like turning Balsa wood very poris, but me and my Pop won't let that stop us from mastering it. It will have to hold for now I have a nice piece of Babinga and Rosewood to mate to make some candle holders using the inside-out turning method I keep running accross. I hope my bonker works for everyone to classify as one so I can go ahead and turn more elaborate things. Wish me luck I will post pics of the boards and the practice turns before I do the real one due for delivery mid November. Thank you all for the comments :o :( :) :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: :p ;)
Chris

Dennis Peacock
10-15-2006, 7:28 AM
Congrats Chris.....Hey, isn't it a bit difficult turning 2 pieces at the same time on a single lathe like that? Now THAT'S what I call real talent!!!!! :p :p :D

Ernie Nyvall
10-15-2006, 7:56 AM
Hey, a bonker with interchangeable bonkerooz! :p Way to go Chris.:D

George Conklin
10-15-2006, 9:21 AM
Works for me, Chris. You're in:) .

Bernie Weishapl
10-15-2006, 9:48 AM
Looks good to me Chris. You're good to go.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-15-2006, 3:18 PM
Dang, that is like one of them swords in a cane things :eek:

Nice job Chris! :D (Way to go "Pop")