PDA

View Full Version : A dovetailed box

Ken Werner
10-14-2006, 10:00 PM
Just thought I'd post a few images of a little box I just made and donated to a silent auction for the local Hospice. Cherry, finished with shellac and wax. I like the assymetric dovetails, made to accomodate the sliding lid. Hard to see, but the lid is bookmatched.
Ken

Zahid Naqvi
10-15-2006, 1:14 AM
nice job Ken. The dovetails are nice and tight, no gaps is good, I'm still struggling with that.

Alan DuBoff
10-15-2006, 1:23 AM
Very nice indeed, and a genuine good cause.

How did you bevel the top, did you use a hand plane?

Mike Wenzloff
10-15-2006, 2:38 AM
Great job, Ken. Wonderful cause as well.

The design for the DTs also takes into account the sliding lid, and so nearly need to be assymetrical. What I like is you made it obvious enough that it doesn't look like an after thought without merely calling attention to them. Nice.

Take care, Mike

Ken Werner
10-15-2006, 7:02 AM
Thanks Alan. The top is beveled with a block plane. The rabbett for the end piece of the top was cut with a shoulder plane, guided by a block I clamped on. And Mike, I'm looking forward to using your saw to make more.
Ken

Derek Cohen
10-15-2006, 8:22 AM
Very nice Ken. Good proportions and beautifully made.

I would call that a pencil box. I have been promising my son one for a while now.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Alan DuBoff
10-15-2006, 1:19 PM
As I said,very nice, but a pencil box? Harrrumph...that's a box for joinery measuring tools if I've ever seen one, Derek! :D

I used to do work on a project for hospice though, so whoever wins the silent auction, I'm sure not only will they get a fine piece of work (and get to decide what the box was meant to be, but the proceeds will go to a good cause.:cool:

Bob Hallowell
10-15-2006, 8:20 PM
Wonderful dt's mine aren't near that tight.

Bob

Larry Gelder
10-16-2006, 8:52 PM
Hey Ken,

How bout a DT box tutorial?

Ken Werner
10-16-2006, 9:43 PM
Never thought of that. Let me give it some thought....
And I'll have to ask my son Ben aka digital photographer if he'll help his old dad.
Thanks to all for your kind replies.
Ken

Greg Salata
10-17-2006, 12:31 AM
Great looking box. Nice of you to donate it to a worthy cause.

Thanks for posting it for us to see.

GS

Ken Werner
10-21-2006, 11:59 AM
PS: the box sold at silent auction for $50.
Ken

Don Orr
10-21-2006, 10:27 PM
...and very generous donation to an extremely worthy cause. I know from experience:( . Thank you.

Mike Wenzloff
10-21-2006, 11:23 PM
Wonderful result, Ken. The person who bought it will use it with pride and the hospice possibly received money it wouldn't have otherwise.

A win-win.

Take care, Mike