PDA

View Full Version : My version of a photo screen

Joe Unni
10-14-2006, 8:06 PM
Hey all,

It's been a while since I've posted a project so here goes...

The customer wanted to replace an existing Walmart special photo screen with something custom, old/rustic, and more sturdy.

Here is the before/after:

Any and all comments are welcome.

Thanks,
-joe

Joe Unni
10-14-2006, 8:22 PM
It's Ponderosa Pine with a distressed finish.

The finish itself is a water based dye, followed by 2# cut of amber shellac, then a Minwax "special walnut" stain used as a glaze, then 3 more coats of amber and then Myland's Antique Mahogany wax.

It's basically three very large panels joined at the back with glue, screws and plugs. Each board was chamfered before glue up to give a sort of bead-board look. However, I don't think I'll do that again as squeeze out removal tended to be quite painful. The shelves were let into dadoes and pinned (Norm style) from below. The toe-kick was attached with screws and pyramid plugs. The face frame stiles were attached with cut nails and glue. The frames were all hand milled and surface mounted with forged screws. Behind each is 1/8" glass with custom cut (not by me) mattes to accomodate different sized photos.

#1 - rough Ponderosa Pine
#2 - ready for glue
#3 - in clamps
#4 - after sanding
#5 - milled panels

Again, any an all comments are welcome.

-joe

Joe Unni
10-14-2006, 8:26 PM
#1 - photo layout
#2 - completed screen taken as a first go in the shop studio (needs better lighting)

John Miliunas
10-14-2006, 8:39 PM
Real nice, Joe! Now it looks like a part of the room decor, instead of an obvious "add-in". Well done! :) Your clients have stepped into the world of "Custom Woodworking". I have a hunch there will be more orders to come! :) :cool:

Joe Unni
10-16-2006, 7:20 AM
Thanks John.

-joe