PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a Late Model Diesel Truck

Harold Blair
10-20-2003, 8:55 AM
I currently have a '91 Ford F250 diesel and am looking for a newer (not NEW) truck as a replacement. This replacement will (in about two years) be our only vehicle. We will use it to pull a 25' fifth wheel as well as general transportation. We want a long bed, four door 3/4 or 1 ton vehicle (preferably non-duelly) with all the options (except leather seats) including bucket seats. Want to pay less than $25,000. Am probably looking at 2001 or 2002. My question: How many of you have Ford and/or Dodge? Experience with either. Suggestions or recommendations are appreciated. Thanks, Harold Blair

Ken Garlock
10-20-2003, 10:39 AM
Howard, I only have the little 1995 F150, but I have a couple friends with the Diesel options. First is the fellow who built our new home. He has a F350 diesel with over 160K miles. The only maintenance of note he has done was a transmission rebuild this year. Not too bad....

The other is a ham radio friend who has a Ford diesel which he bought specifically for pulling a 33 ft 5th wheel rig. He made a couple upgrades the the engine by putting on a larger exhaust system, and replaced the stock air intake/filter piping. He claims he can set the cruise control on 55 with the trailer in tow and get 14 mpg.... (I don't remember if he had the F250 or F350.)

Not exactly the answer you were looking for, but I hope it helps. :)

Wes Bischel
10-20-2003, 9:34 PM
Howard,

I heard something from a friend that the service managers were taking a beating from customers for the maintenance schedule. Something about having to replace the injectors for a few hundred dollars. I suspect this is from the more suburban/urban owner that never had a diesel before. I can't remember the specifics. You may already be aware of this, but just in case something with the engines changed recently, I thought I would post.

Wes

Howard Barlow
10-21-2003, 12:21 AM
Hi Howard,

I have a '97 F-250 Powerstroke with 187,000 miles. I had the starter rebuilt last month. That is the first money I've spent on it.

Howard

Richard Gillespie
10-21-2003, 7:55 AM
I would recommend that you go up on the net and read the forums that exist on diesel trucks. As a group, they are improving. Some units have had defects such as weak transmissions. There was a redesign on injectors for GMC duramax engines.

Maintenance cost on diesels can be higher. My 95 Ford, with a 14 qt 7.3 engine cost $65 for an oil change every 3000 miles. Some parts on that engine are international only parts and very expensive. The part cost for the water pump was $750. In 95, the transmission was weak. I lost 4 of them towing bumper and 5th wheel trailers that were under the listed max weight.

In August I sold the Ford and bought a new GMC dramax. 10 qt capacity and 10k change interval were part of the consideration. Above all I wanted the Allison transmission.

Don Abele
10-21-2003, 12:33 PM
I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 3500 (dually) with 35,000 miles on it and get 18 mpg on the highway, 15 in the city. When I moved from Washington State to Virginia, I was pulling a 12,000 pound trailer and had about 3500 pounds in the bed. I turned the over-drive off and set the cruise at 60 - it never downshifted or hesitated, even through the steep passes. I averaged about 14 mpg during that 3200 mile trip.

The duallys do provide some added stability for trailer sway, but are primarily to increase bed weight. If I had to do it over again, I'd go with the 1 ton, non-dually (of course that wasn't a Dodge option then).

The 4-door cab is nice and comfortable, even during that long drive I had no complaints from my kids in the back seat.

What ever you chose, I can't see you going wrong with a diesel for the purpose you propose.

Be well,

Doc