PDA

View Full Version : Business Cards

John Terefenko
10-14-2006, 2:24 PM
This question is sort of related to turning. I need to replenish my business cards and being I found this great hobby of woodturning I thought I would add a picture or icon symbol of a lathe to the cards. Does anyone know of a site where I may get such picture?? Also do you all get your cards made or do you do them yourself?? Do you get them made on line and if so where?? I know it is abit OT but this forum has alot of bright individuals who are willing to give. So I thought i would try. If this is not appropriate please excuse and delete. :confused:

Jim Becker
10-14-2006, 5:12 PM
Rather than just a picture of a lathe, you may be better served by a picture of the end result. Most of your customers (I suspect) will not know a lathe from a tea-spoon... ;) A wooden bowl, pen, etc., they will likely recognize!

Kurt Rosenzweig
10-14-2006, 5:16 PM
If you go to Staples or Office depot you can get a busness card kit CD and the cards and make them yourself on you PC!:D

Nancy Laird
10-14-2006, 5:19 PM
John, if you are interested, we make business cards on our laser from 1/32" Finland birch plywood. It's about the thickness of a FWW cover but much more rigid. I'm sure we could conjure up a logo/picture to put on them, and you'd have a unique card. If you are interested in pursuing this, please PM me and we can discuss price, etc.

Nancy

Kurt Rosenzweig
10-14-2006, 7:21 PM
Now that sounds cool Nancy! I'd be curious to see some pictures and pricing also! Do I smell a possible group buy?:D

Nancy Laird
10-14-2006, 8:13 PM
Give me until tomorrow morning - I don't have any in-house because I haven't made our own yet - but that's coming tonight, and I'll try to post one tomorrow (if I can read the directions properly and learn to post).

Otherwise I'll e-mail pictures to you and let YOU post them.

Nancy

Kurt Rosenzweig
10-14-2006, 8:22 PM
Coolness!!!:D

Nancy Laird
10-15-2006, 5:38 PM
Please don't give up on me--the pictures are coming. Other considerations got in the way today.

Nancy

Nancy Laird
10-15-2006, 7:57 PM
OK, if I've done this right, here is the picture of our business cards:

The cards are laser-engraved on 1/32" Finland Birch plywood - it measures 2 x 3-1/2", the size of a standard card. The lasering has been color-filled with burnt umber acrylic paint and then waxed. (I did not color-fill the top portion of our card, since we like the variegated look.)

I can get 30 cards to a page. For Sawmill Creek members ONLY, I will sell these cards for $15.00 for 30 (that's $.50 each for the math-challenged).

PM me with any orders you care to place and a scan or .jpg of your current business card, or a logo and the information you want on the card.

Nancy

Hey!!! I previewed it, and it worked!!!!

Richard Madison
10-16-2006, 12:39 AM
John T.,
Becker is probably right about the logo. Meanwhile, you have a 'puter and a printer, so print your own. Buy card stock at X-Mart. Need a good paper cutter to cut them to size. That's how lots of folks do it. For a slightly higher end look, the print shop can do raised lettering, etc. And for a really high end look, looks like Nancy's product is the real deal.

Earl Eyre
10-16-2006, 1:18 AM
At the risk of sounding rather old fashioned--and coming from a former owner of a print shop--it depends on what you want the cards for. If you are just handing them out to friends or the occassional customer, then print them on the computer. If you truly want a card that says, "This is me and I am serious about my business" then go to a print shop that will design a unique card for you. Almost anything you print on your computer will look generic, the stock will be flimsy with perforation marks, and smear if it gets wet. That's what I do know that I'm retired and am not trying to make money on my work. But if I wanted a professional looking card that sells my work, I'd always go professional, not amatuer.
Earl

Raymond Overman
10-16-2006, 7:28 AM
John,

I designed mine with a full color picture of one of my turnings on the front and a pen on the back using Photoshop. 1000 double sided full color cards with glossy fronts from Overnight Prints were a little over $60 shipped. They have a design wizard on their site if you don't have a program to design your own.

http://www.overnightprints.com

Nancy Laird
10-16-2006, 8:46 AM
Just as a quick note, this offer for business cards expires October 31, 2006. If I get an order before midnight on Halloween, it will be priced at this special price. Add $1.00 for postage and handling.

And Richard, you are right...these are "high end" cards--we give them only to "special" people. A batch of 30 will last us three months.

Nancy

Marc Spagnuolo
10-16-2006, 6:05 PM
We used this company to get some great business cards. They were fast, professional and affordable. We went with them after reading a comparison article in PCWorld.

http://www.greatfxbusinesscards.com/

John Terefenko
10-17-2006, 12:10 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/IMGP0114-1.jpgThis is my current card and what I was thinking was adding a picture of a lathe in the top left corner to go with the picture of a scrollsaw which is in the right corner. I want the same background but have to add or change some wording. The problem I have is the lathe I have seen in a card directory is not a clear picture. Being I just started turning I do not have many turned items so that is out. The card also has raised lettering which I want.

Nancy

Thanks for posting your cards and I will pass on those. Being I brought the subject up. Thanks to all that replied.

Sean Troy
10-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Check out www.vistaprint.com (http://www.vistaprint.com) I've used them before and was happy.